Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

1 hour ago, msc said:

@RoverAndOut I'll admit to being stunned by the extent of the results. Labour won Wakefield easily on a swing large enough to hunt a majority down. But Tiverton. Bloody hell. No Tory with a liberal challenger is safe. Not Rees-mogg. Not Theresa May. Especially not Dominic Raab. 

This was proper the public are fed up with a government and want rid by any means stuff. We haven't seen that in well over a decade.

John Curtice said this morning what will really be worrying the Tories is that Labour voters seem much more willing to vote tactically than previously. That could explain the mood music in these Lib Dem-threatened Tory heartlands. Part of me wants Johnson to hang on and become the first PM in living history (ever?) to lose his seat in a General Election.

27 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

John Curtice said this morning what will really be worrying the Tories is that Labour voters seem much more willing to vote tactically than previously. That could explain the mood music in these Lib Dem-threatened Tory heartlands. Part of me wants Johnson to hang on and become the first PM in living history (ever?) to lose his seat in a General Election.

Apparently Arthur Balfour had resigned as Prime Minister a month before the 1906 landslide, so yes, I'm pretty certain the reigning Prime Minister has never lost their seat in an election.  The last former Prime Minister to lose in an election was Asquith in 1918, when he was stitched up by the Tories and Lloyd George.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, msc said:

Apparently Arthur Balfour had resigned as Prime Minister a month before the 1906 landslide, so yes, I'm pretty certain the reigning Prime Minister has never lost their seat in an election.  The last former Prime Minister to lose in an election was Asquith in 1918, when he was stitched up by the Tories and Lloyd George.

Boris and May could break both those records. But Theresa is an excellent local MP by all accounts and has called Johnson out plenty since leaving office. I suspect she could survive a Lib Dem wave, but sometimes there can be surprise casualties if the winds of change are powerful enough. 

I think America will have a another civil war at some point in the next 10-15 years. Country is increasingly divided and it’s easy to see both sides getting militant and full scale fighting emerging. 

• Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I think America will have a another civil war at some point in the next 10-15 years. Country is increasingly divided and it’s easy to see both sides getting militant and full scale fighting emerging. 

This coming from the person that predicted nukes in Ukraine and cancerous Queen? :facepalm:

• Haha 5

Theresa May will likely stand down next time anyway. I really can’t see her standing if she thinks she could lose her seat. 

48 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

As a American I disagree but I do see riots and protests becoming more violent over time the decision to reverse Roe V Wade was the worst court decision in history it will bring mothers into poverty and can face certain death if the mother can’t have a baby or can’t afford things due to poverty the direction America is going down disgusts me to be American at this moment it also disgusts me that women support it due to the fact they are at risk as well, absolutely disgusting. 

• Like 3

I think I can finally turn my interests into a profession.

• Haha 1

America wants to keep foetuses alive so they can be born, go to school and get shot to fuck.

• Like 3

The thing about life appointments is that they are very easily terminated, especially due to yesterday's Supreme Court ruling...

33 minutes ago, TQR said:

America wants to keep foetuses alive so they can be born, go to school and get shot to fuck.

Life begins at conception. And ends in Reception.

As an American, you wouldn't believe how many people support this decision. They are brainwashed at birth via the church. Men and women. Insane. 

3 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

As an American, you wouldn't believe how many people support this decision. They are brainwashed at birth via the church. Men and women. Insane. 

I really don't understand how any reading of the Bible gets you to a place where you force women to give birth against their will and refuse to contemplate any measures to stop the slaughter of innocent children.

• Like 5

I was in Catholic school for a couple of years in middle school (not out of religious reasons - basically it was the only option besides public school which was putting me through some rough shite). They legit had "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, I beg you to spare the life of the unborn baby, who is spiritually adopted, and is in danger of abortion, amen" in the morning prayers. Fucking mental.

One kid in particular was very vocal about his politics. Said without a hint of self awareness the likes of "I think George Bush is cool!" and openly said he was prejudiced against gay people (but denied he was a homophobe, because his father spoonfed him a fake meaning of "homophobe"). At the time he really got on my nerves but now it just makes me sad, given he was one of those kids who obviously wasn't seen by his parents as anything but a blank slate for them to spoonfeed all of their worldviews into. And that kind of brainwashing (plus the FOX and far-right social media rabbit holes) is exactly how the GOP consolidates power - the crazier they make their base, the more free reign they have to be mask off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Boris says he will not undergo 'psychological transformation' so anyone who doesn't like narcissism and pathological lying best get used to it. Says he's looking ahead to his third term in the 'mid-2030s' so add delusions of grandeur to those psychological traits. Claims again that he has been given a renewed mandate via the confidence vote last month.

But it's Boris, so at the same time as he's doing all this, it comes out that The Times are carrying a story saying he was planning to use a Tory donor's money to build a £150,000 tree house at Chequers for son Wilf, which was only scrapped due to police security concerns. I mean, where do you start? Maybe with the fact that Chequers is his summer home temporarily while he's Prime Minister., not somewhere to build a permanent tree house for his child. Or the fact that £150,000 is needed to buy an actual house in most of the country. Or the fact that it's yet another story about a Tory donor paying for Boris's extravagant lifestyle choices. Or the endless questions it raises about what this Tory donor expected to gain from the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom in exchange for his generation donation. Or WHY THE FUCK NONE OF THIS SEEMS TO MATTER TO BORIS JOHNSON?! 

No psychological transformation: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61934851

'Actively thinking about third term': https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61939938

Treehouse story: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-planned-150-000-treehouse-for-son-wilf-at-chequers-m8dthdf9v (Paywall)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I accidentally got involved in a political discussion at work while having lunch with a Filipino nurse and found she supports Trump (also conspiracy theories around the election but we swiftly moved on). She also supports the newly elected president of Philippines.

Anyone know his (Bongbong Marcos) politics as Wikipedia is not helping at all. Though just seen he's the son of Imelda Marcos.

On 26/06/2022 at 22:35, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/26/boris-johnson-is-a-sorcerer-who-has-run-out-of-spells-a-wizard-with-a-broken-wand

Good column by Andrew Rawnsley in todays Observer on  Boris Johnson describing him as a sorcerer who has run out of spells.

I’m sure Carrie will be pleased to learn his wand has finally broken too…

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

I accidentally got involved in a political discussion at work while having lunch with a Filipino nurse and found she supports Trump (also conspiracy theories around the election but we swiftly moved on). She also supports the newly elected president of Philippines.

Anyone know his (Bongbong Marcos) politics as Wikipedia is not helping at all. Though just seen he's the son of Imelda Marcos.

Yep, son of the corrupt former regime and seeking to redeem their image. Vice President is the wacko former President's daughter, so things aren't improving in the Philippines any time soon. Much like the rest of the world...

Question: since your Brexit treaty had a mechanism to deal with disagreements, why are you trying to remove bits of the bill instead of utilising the mechanism you included for just this reason?

Truss: BECAUSE I'M A PATRIOT!

I mean, what the actual? She wouldn't even be a Sixth Form debating champion and she's claiming to be the next Maggie.

But in other news, I read an article in the 'i' today stating that there's a growing backbench movement for Grant Shapps, so God help us all. I hear Michael Green is delighted, though.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Windsor said:

I’m sure Carrie will be pleased to learn his wand has finally broken too…

You are so naughty!!

I could begin to like you as much as @msc if you started to use some of  my favourite /happiest  words shagged or shagging in your posts!

More frightening things happening today.

Just hours after the shameful Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act came into effect, the Met went mob-handed after the regular Westminster protester Steve Bray.

You know the guy, top hat, megaphone, harasses the Tories with awkward questions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-61970308

And this cunt is the Tory MP for Devizes (yes, open goal there)

His mother is the celebrity cook Prue Leith. 

Apparently a woman's right to make decisions about her own body is a "political question" that should be up to "democratic decision makers".

Be afraid.  It's all getting worse by the day.

• Like 1

"He"?  doesn't agree that women have an absolute right to bodily autonomy.

Oh do fuck off.

(and I'm male).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Did the ditched Times story about Boris trying to get Carrie a top Foreign Office job when he was Foreign Secretary get discussed on here? If not, I'm sure you'll all be familiar with it by now. Anyway, I'm sure you'll be surprised to hear that Private Eye have the details on why the story was pulled, and it appears the biggest concern was that a certain situation concerning the Foreign Secretary and his blonde mistress might be made public. As if the Times would have balls to publish those details in print...

ImageImage

• Like 1