Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

Hmm, is this the first time the Prime Minister and Chancellor have actually, err, known each other?

Sounds like a query for Deathlist shagging correspondent, @Gooseberry Crumble.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, msc said:

Hmm, is this the first time the Prime Minister and Chancellor have actually, err, known each other?

Sounds like a query for Deathlist shagging correspondent, @Gooseberry Crumble.

Was it not Amber Rudd ? (Allegedly) 

Just now, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Was it not Amber Rudd ? (Allegedly) 

Allegedly Mr Kwarteng is to Tory Cabinets what David Tennant was to noughties BBC dramas. Or so we hear.

• Haha 2

When I hear the phrase "Kwasi Kwarteng" I can only hear it in the voice of Boycie from Only Fools And Horses.

Go on, you can't unhear it now...:lol:

• Haha 1

We’re now just down to Ministerial positions being filled. Can’t be fucked to go through all them too; that and my soul might not survive it.

Can’t wait for PMQs.

@TQR I'm not quoting your post because it's too long, but just to say thank you for such a comprehensive overview of the shower she's appointed. The Mr Blobby appointment was sorely needed by the end.

Amazing to think we're on the third generation of this Tory shitshow now, the 2015+ parliaments, and still not a braincell between them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, several papers leading on her line about "riding out the storm", which just makes me think of this memorable number from Eurovision 2018:

One for @YoungWillz methinks. For the record, she finished 24th out of 26. So perfect for Truss then.

• Like 2

Something appears to be afoot. Zahawi urgently briefing Truss, Starmer being passed urgent notes from Rayner, both leaders leaving the chamber…

14 minutes ago, TQR said:

Something appears to be afoot. Zahawi urgently briefing Truss, Starmer being passed urgent notes from Rayner, both leaders leaving the chamber…

The queen dead?

3 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

The queen dead?

Find out after the break…

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Its Tipping Point....

Tbf watching Ben Shepherd would make me want to die too

• Haha 2

The way to help people plunged into fuel/food poverty by this cost of living crisis is clearly to scrap the 45% tax rate for those earning over £150,000 and bin the 200%-of-salary cap on bankers’ bonuses. Nice one, Chancellor Khazi.

• Like 3

Pound already down 2 cents against the dollar.

I guess inflation could top more than 20 per cent, probably driven by the haves spending. Imports will cost more so the prices in the shops will only rise. When and if inflation falls, that doesn't mean prices will reduce. Literally nothing for the working poor or even middle incomes.

Would not surprise me if there is an emergency meeting at the Bank of England sooner than expected, with interest rates going even higher in due course than the projected 4.75%.

Top that with strike action and we are back to 1972. Buy some blankets and candles and a battery operated radio for this winter.

Fiscally incompetent with a National Debt that might take 60 years to pay off.

27 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Pound already down 2 cents against the dollar.

It’s now down to $1.10. Lowest since 1985.

Inflation is going to be astronomical. Interest rate hikes will push thousands out of their houses once their mortgage fixed rates come to an end. Rent is already impossible to pay for millions. People will starve. People will freeze.

It feels like we’re almost at the top of the grid on a game of Tetris, and Kamikwasi is just speeding the blocks downwards.

Talk the pound may fall below the dollar. We are in a spectacular shitstorm of neo-Thatcher trickle-down nonsense. God knows where we'll be by the time we get these fuckers out of office. Talk about scorched earth... God knows how Labour are going to sort this mess out. 12 years dismantling all the good New Labour did.

39 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Talk the pound may fall below the dollar. We are in a spectacular shitstorm of neo-Thatcher trickle-down nonsense. God knows where we'll be by the time we get these fuckers out of office. Talk about scorched earth... God knows how Labour are going to sort this mess out. 12 years dismantling all the good New Labour did.

A lot of people should be in jail for this.  No, cancel that -

872848264_burnthemall.gif.a8b9c240e94846c18eca2e10970db90b.gif

• Like 2

Can't help but think the new mini budget will only help the top 5% of the population whilst the bottom 95% will be paying for it for years to come.  It is akin to cutting six inches off the bottom of a blanket, sewing it to the top of the blanket, then telling everyone you have a longer blanket!!!! FFs Britain wake up .....

• Like 2

So, just me maybe but...I think the sense in the current nonesense is hidden in plain sight. Politico's poll of polls has seen the Tories maintaining something like a ten point deficit to Labour for months. The new cabinet knew they couldn't keep on Johnson's policies and hope to turn that around so the gamble is that they get the brief hike in economic circumstances that Ted Heath got with a similarly radical budget fifty years ago, use that window to go for an election or simply duck it, get voted out and leave a mess so chaotic no incoming government can hope to look competent and - therefore - loses after one term. 

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

So, just me maybe but...I think the sense in the current nonesense is hidden in plain sight. Politico's poll of polls has seen the Tories maintaining something like a ten point deficit to Labour for months. The new cabinet knew they couldn't keep on Johnson's policies and hope to turn that around so the gamble is that they get the brief hike in economic circumstances that Ted Heath got with a similarly radical budget fifty years ago, use that window to go for an election or simply duck it, get voted out and leave a mess so chaotic no incoming government can hope to look competent and - therefore - loses after one term. 

My take is they know they are fucked at the next election so they intend to brazenly give their rich mates a reverse golden handshake. 

A bit like those COVID contracts they gave out. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Windsor said:

My take is they know they are fucked at the next election so they intend to brazenly give their rich mates a reverse golden handshake. 

A bit like those COVID contracts they gave out. 

Aye, longevity for the party and likely some rewards for those who fronted the announcements yesterday. 

Either way, wouldn't want to be a red wall Tory facing constituents in a surgery anytime soon.

• Like 2

Twitter is full of unsubstantiated rumours about flights and trains being suddenly cancelled across China and that Xi Jinping has been placed under house arrest following a military coup.

All seems to be coming from Indian sources with no journalistic confirmation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Twitter is full of unsubstantiated rumours about flights and trains being suddenly cancelled across China and that Xi Jinping has been placed under house arrest following a military coup.

All seems to be coming from Indian sources with no journalistic confirmation.

There have been rumours about a military take over for a few days now.

• Like 2