Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

7 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Twitter is full of unsubstantiated rumours about flights and trains being suddenly cancelled across China and that Xi Jinping has been placed under house arrest following a military coup.

All seems to be coming from Indian sources with no journalistic confirmation.

And there appears to be suggestion that Putin is under pressure from ultra-nationalist  over Ukraine. 

The worlds gone to hell in a hand basket.

9 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Twitter is full of unsubstantiated rumours about flights and trains being suddenly cancelled across China and that Xi Jinping has been placed under house arrest following a military coup.

All seems to be coming from Indian sources with no journalistic confirmation.

I haven't seen the rumours so can't comment as to their veracity but what I would say is twofold:

1. Would the time to launch a coup not have been when he was out of the country recently for the first time in about 3 years? Or has that been the catalyst and now he's back it's leaping into action?

2. What would be the reason for the coup? Is Xi not hellbent on restoring Chinese national pride, bringing Hong Kong under Beijing's thumb, increasing the rhetoric around Taiwan? Or are ordinary Chinese (or at least the military) actually as concerned as the rest of us about the implications of war in the Taiwan Strait? One to watch perhaps. I thought he'd recently made himself all-powerful at the last Communist Party general assembly?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

I haven't seen the rumours so can't comment as to their veracity but what I would say is twofold:

1. Would the time to launch a coup not have been when he was out of the country recently for the first time in about 3 years? Or has that been the catalyst and now he's back it's leaping into action?

2. What would be the reason for the coup? Is Xi not hellbent on restoring Chinese national pride, bringing Hong Kong under Beijing's thumb, increasing the rhetoric around Taiwan? Or are ordinary Chinese (or at least the military) actually as concerned as the rest of us about the implications of war in the Taiwan Strait? One to watch perhaps. I thought he'd recently made himself all-powerful at the last Communist Party general assembly?

He has actually made sure that the heads of all the armed forces have been placed there by his own fair hands,

He is no fool BUT there could be a point where heads of said armed forces have seen the debacle in Ukraine and may not feel overly hungry for any action.

Could that be the trigger for them to take control?

I hope so.

• Like 2

On 23/09/2022 at 22:30, maryportfuncity said:

So, just me maybe but...I think the sense in the current nonesense is hidden in plain sight. Politico's poll of polls has seen the Tories maintaining something like a ten point deficit to Labour for months. The new cabinet knew they couldn't keep on Johnson's policies and hope to turn that around so the gamble is that they get the brief hike in economic circumstances that Ted Heath got with a similarly radical budget fifty years ago, use that window to go for an election or simply duck it, get voted out and leave a mess so chaotic no incoming government can hope to look competent and - therefore - loses after one term. 

Well, Labour is on a sure vote winner by declaring that they would scrap all the perks that the high earners would gain from the tax cuts, to wit, stop them from becoming even richer.

Nobody would argue with that, right?

Then they go and play the national anthem at the conference and, again, nobody ( well some) would argue with that.

Ahead of the conference a fringe meeting is taking place with the Labour republican group who state that 'the national anthem does not "marry" with the party's values' or summat.

It's almost like nobody lined the streets or watched the TV when Queenie was being given her last farewell.

A political party that has the innate ability to fire a fully loaded 12 bore through its own feet..... 

• Like 2

Rapper 50 Cent considers changing his name to Pound.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

16 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Xi Jinping wants to free himself from term limits at the next General Assembly. It's less than optimal timing though with their inability to defeat COVID and the housing bubble deflating.

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Xi Jinping wants to free himself from term limits at the next General Assembly. It's less than optimal timing though with their inability to defeat COVID and the housing bubble deflating.

Yes, I was reading about the rumours in today's Guardian. Febrile atmosphere, very secretive, helping to fuel rumours of the coup (seemingly not substantiated). I thought he'd already declared himself President for life, but I see now it's only just coming into effect (I was probably mixing it up with him removing term limits which set this up a couple of years ago). He's packed the Politburo with his own men, and recently purged some senior ministers, so I can't see any way of them stopping him.

Has anyone sen the film Charles III?

Could be the right King for the right moment. :D

Daily Star - metaphorically - on fire, but the Tories are providing ample fuel

_126860490_star-nc.png.webp

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Daily Star - metaphorically - on fire, but the Tories are providing ample fuel

_126860490_star-nc.png.webp

Why is the Daily Star still featured as an actual newspaper in Press Previews?

9 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Why is the Daily Star still featured as an actual newspaper in Press Previews?

Well, you say that, but their front page analysis is one of the best of the lot today.

5 hours ago, TQR said:

Well, you say that, but their front page analysis is one of the best of the lot today.

Indeed, in fact their blunt mocking and shaming of the worst behavior and decisions in public life has been in stark contrast to the doubling down of the likes of the Mail who were holding out for Bojo until the end and now seem to think last Friday's budget that wasn't a budget contains the building blocks to haul Britain back to world domination, or summat.

• Like 1

I can see Truss deciding rather than u turning to call an election and let the people decide and if she loses she can then say well I gave people the choice. 

How long before these fucking idiots start calling the IMF a bunch of wokeremoanerlefties?

EDIT: Haaaahhahahahahah!! I was joking but here’s Andrew Lilico saying just that. Desperation pour homme.

Oh, and Daniel Hannan has blamed the £ crashing on Keir Starmer :lol:

• Haha 1

Sunak must be pissing himself laughing right now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TQR said:

How long before these fucking idiots start calling the IMF a bunch of wokeremoanerlefties?

EDIT: Haaaahhahahahahah!! I was joking but here’s Andrew Lilico saying just that. Desperation pour homme.

Oh, and Daniel Hannan has blamed the £ crashing on Keir Starmer :lol:

They remind me of that Scene in The Simpsons were Grandpa Simpson just points at random things saying "Death" . Or this case wokeleft 

• Like 1

On 26/09/2022 at 19:25, Windsor said:

Has anyone sen the film Charles III?

Could be the right King for the right moment. :D

If the Tories remove Truss via VoNC then HM will surely be well within his rights to dissolve Parliament and hold a new general election.

What with the death of Mrs Queen and the ensuing shutdown period, we’ve actually only had one week of Truss’ government. I did not think the bottom bhuna would go slapping into the fan quite this quickly. Incredible.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

@Toast Confirm/Deny?

Do I sound black?  :evil2:

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Toast said:

Do I sound black?  :evil2:

Commiserations on your job, Miss Huq.

• Haha 3

Aye, well...Labour just keep slammin' them into that open goal - calling for parliamentary recall now. Which would be interesting when it came to which Tories went through the lobbies to support Kwartang's move. Just awaiting the guy who lives at the end of Shit Creek to complain a canoe went past and all the paddles were thrown on his lawn

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63058869

• Like 2