Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

12 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Embarrassing own goal and a perfect excuse to change the narrative but should be noted they'd apparently already changed the photo 2 hours before he tweeted about it. So back to the disaster he's made of the economy please. Things like this are an unnecessary gift.

Could've been worse I suppose. At least they didn't use a picture of Howard from the Halifax ads.

• Haha 1

This petition is growing at an impressive rate.   It had 246,170 signatures when I signed it last night.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/619781

Obviously it won't force the Government to call an election, but if it keeps this up it may have some positive effect.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Embarrassing own goal and a perfect excuse to change the narrative but should be noted they'd apparently already changed the photo 2 hours before he tweeted about it. So back to the disaster he's made of the economy please. Things like this are an unnecessary gift.

Yes, I note the Mirror corrected their catastrophic error as soon as they were aware of how much they fucked up and are now trying to make amends. Khazi should take note.

I also note that institutional racism doesn’t exist according to the government that Khazi is part of.

I also also note that this (unless I’m mistaken) random geezer photographed would most certainly do a fuck side less damage than Khazi and probably wouldn’t spend his time at QEII’s funeral pissing himself laughing.

I also also also note that Khazi responded to the Mirror’s cuntery a hell of a lot quicker than his own.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Toast said:

This petition is growing at an impressive rate.   It had 246,170 signatures when I signed it last night.

Obviously it won't force the Government to call an election, but if it keeps this up it may have some positive effect.

You posted this just 13 mins ago and it’s grown by over 60k since. Impressive indeed!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Could've been worse I suppose. At least they didn't use a picture of Howard from the Halifax ads.

Howard probably fucking despises the chancellor given what he’s done to mortgages

17 minutes ago, Toast said:

It's funny how so many people genuinely believe calling a GE will end political deadlock and smoothen everything out.

Short term memories indeed. T. May had a massive poll lead over Labour in 2017. Just a few weeks later, they actually lost seats on the day of poll.

If GE campaign actually did take place and people actually had to stomach putting an "X" next to Starmer's box, I genuinely believe many would flop last minute and stick with the status quo. And yet, the Tories wouldn't get enough votes to secure a majority. You'd have a hung parliament, and nothing would get passed, and the situation in the country would get worse. The markets would get worse, the pound would get worse etc., and it would go on for months and months until eventually we had a subsequent GE 6-12 months later, like what happened in the 70s, and in 17-19. So not a good idea for any of the political parties IMO (maybe bar the SNP who would sweep more seats and would try to spin grievances from the chaos that ensues).

• Like 1

Two interesting tweets on UK politics  I came across today.  One a claim by the often reliable Guido Fawkes that tory mps were told yesterday not to expect  a General election until the very last possible minute in January 2025.

Another  political  journalist  Dan Hodges stressing how unsustainable  the current situation is. So quite a contrast.

8 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

It's funny how so many people genuinely believe calling a GE will end political deadlock and smoothen everything out.

Short term memories indeed. T. May had a massive poll lead over Labour in 2017. Just a few weeks later, they actually lost seats on the day of poll.

If GE campaign actually did take place and people actually had to stomach putting an "X" next to Starmer's box, I genuinely believe many would flop last minute and stick with the status quo. And yet, the Tories wouldn't get enough votes to secure a majority. You'd have a hung parliament, and nothing would get passed, and the situation in the country would get worse. The markets would get worse, the pound would get worse etc., and it would go on for months and months until eventually we had a subsequent GE 6-12 months later, like what happened in the 70s, and in 17-19. So not a good idea for any of the political parties IMO (maybe bar the SNP who would sweep more seats and would try to spin grievances from the chaos that ensues).

I don't think there has ever been such a dangerous, selfish, greedy, treacherous and evil bunch of people in control of the country.  Something has to be done to stop the destruction.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Toast said:

I don't think there has ever been such a dangerous, selfish, greedy, treacherous and evil bunch of people in control of the country.  Something has to be done to stop the destruction.

Doesn't mean a snap GE would get rid of them...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

What's the alternative?

• Like 1

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2AvG1ecWkbvD9J4GAsBDAM?si=4QPudNzCQQ-4r9E_Yb5NJw&utm_source=copy-link

In the early part of this podcast-Red box politics  veteran Conservative MP Charles Walker  basically says bar an unlikely miracle the tories are going to lose the next General election and says the party now has a  patriotic duty to endeavour to  begin to build a decent situation for the next government to be able to build on for the sake of the country and not just do what they think is in the best interests of the Conservative Party.  Lots of emphasis from him on how  governments are custodians of the country  looking after it during a period of leasehold  between elections and mustn't run the country  to fit narrow political party wishes or interests.

11 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2AvG1ecWkbvD9J4GAsBDAM?si=4QPudNzCQQ-4r9E_Yb5NJw&utm_source=copy-link

In the early part of this podcast-Red box politics  veteran Conservative MP Charles Walker  basically says bar an unlikely miracle the tories are going to lose the next General election and says the party now has a  patriotic duty to endeavour to  begin to build a decent situation for the next government to be able to build on for the sake of the country and not just do what they think is in the best interests of the Conservative Party.  Lots of emphasis from him on how  governments are custodians of the country  looking after it during a period of leasehold  between elections and mustn't run the country  to fit narrow political party wishes or interests.

There's nothing patriotic about this bunch of self-serving foreign-funded cunts.

• Like 1

Maybe if they had a few more Charles Walkers and considerably fewer of the cabinet. But they don't. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I’m utterly convinced a GE, whenever it comes, will see a Labour landslide. Nothing like to the extent that polls would suggest, but a majority of at least as much as Johnson managed is a very plausible outcome.

The pound’s in the toilet. Energy’s in the toilet, and price-wise we’re getting shafted more than the rest of Europe despite this “cap” that Truss demonstrably doesn’t understand. The housing market will soon be in the toilet. Real-terms income is in the toilet. Morality is in the toilet. Integrity is in the toilet. Our global reputation is in the toilet. Public confidence in the government isn’t even in the toilet, it’s been flushed and dumped in our waters with all of our turds. And the vast majority of the public have finally realised, after living through it and getting progressively poorer (unless in the top couple of %), that trickle-down economics simply doesn’t work, to put it extremely mildly. The self-serving, morally bankrupt nature of the Tories has gone too far. Our eyes have been opened. There is a desperation for total change.

On top of that, Starmer’s speech at the LPC has convinced a lot of people, even ones who are lifelong anti-Labour, that he’s a viable alternative. It was impressive, it was considered, it was pragmatic and it was reassuring to many. An outstretched hand to a largely traumatised nation. We can’t pretend that someone perceived as being a wet wipe is worse than what we’ve got. We also can’t pretend anymore that the Conservative Party are the ones to be trusted with the economy, because *gestures wildly at everything*. I can’t pretend either, as a lefty, that Starmer is everything I want from a leader, or that Labour is perfect - it really isn’t. But I have yet to see a convincing, straight-faced argument that it’s no better than what we’ve had for the past 12 years (the last 6 especially).

It NEEDS to be an absolute Tory demolition, for the good of the Conservative Party itself if anything, so it can learn, rebuild itself, rid itself of the vitriol and the pure scum coursing through its veins at the moment, and return to (political views aside) something that at least resembles decency and competence. Surely, as a Tory, you’d want this? For ‘Tory’ to not be quite such a dirty word anymore? Truss is to the Tories what Corbyn was to Labour, and I suspect you know that. Rebuild it from the ground up and politics might not be such an unholy, broken battleground anymore.

Final thought: It’s patriotic to want your country to do better and to recognise where it can and should be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Over 311,000 as of this post

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Over 311,000 as of this post

And over 322,000 now.  11k in an hour.

39 minutes ago, Toast said:

So, I'm thinking it'll top a million, at least - certainly reaching the point it becomes newsworthy

55 minutes ago, Toast said:

Just signed. 327,000 now. The government has responded:

Government responded

This response was given on 20 September 2022

The UK is a Parliamentary democracy and the Conservative Party remains the majority party. The Prime Minister has pledged to ensure opportunity and prosperity for all people and future generations.

Read the response in full

The United Kingdom is a Parliamentary democracy, not a Presidential one. Following the general election of December 2019, Members of Parliament of the governing party (the Conservative Party) were elected, such that there is a majority in the House of Commons. This remains the case. A change in the leader of the governing party does not trigger a general election – this has been the case under governments of successive political colours.

The Dissolution and Calling of Parliament Act 2022 provides that Parliament is automatically dissolved five years after it first meets (unless it is dissolved sooner), otherwise the timing is a matter of discretion for the incumbent Prime Minister (subject to re-established constitutional conventions).

In her speech of 6 September 2022, the new Prime Minister set out three early priorities: to grow Britain’s economy, deal with the energy crisis caused by Putin’s war, and putting the national health service on a firm footing. The Prime Minister is determined to address the challenges the country faces and ensure opportunity and prosperity for all people and future generations.

They are literally about to sell off most of the country

THEY HAVE TO BE  STOPPED.

Good point- What will the polls look like after a tumultuous winter? Higher interest rates and further cuts have not yet been implemented. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

So, I'm thinking it'll top a million, at least - certainly reaching the point it becomes newsworthy

100,000 votes in 24 hours and 8 minutes.

10 hours ago, Toast said:

100,000 votes in 24 hours and 8 minutes.

Two more bad polls  for the tories at the beginning of their party conference.  Voting intentions for the next General election  gives Labour  a 19 point lead and another poll says 71% of  people who backed the tories in 2019  say Truss and Kwarteng  have lost control of the economy. 

If you read Sam Freedmans  twitter thread  you'll see  polling numbers /approval ratings did not nosedive  this quickly and this much after Black Wednesday in the 1990s. 

• Like 1