Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

5 hours ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

Rumour has it that there will be a talking bobble head Barbie based on the PM.

To be marketed as a reminder of what we had in the last days of the Conservative government the as yet unconfirmed phrases may include.

I will deliver.

We will cut taxes.

I don’t have the detail on that at the moment.

The chancellor is responsible for the budget.

The Bank of England is responsible for interest rates.

It’s Putin’s fault.

Finally a long silent pause. 

Whilst the last one might indicate a lack of functionality it is backed up by the vacant looking expression which is said to speak volumes.

Additional features to be added, note the comments.

She swims ( actually drowns)

She leads (actually does what she is told a bit like a petulant child)

She listens (see above, actually not a new feature but not seen in action before)
Soon to be adapted for Supermarionation, (sorry already happened) Liz Truss, Rees Smog and Cons.

8 hours ago, Toast said:

Interesting that it says "Parliament will consider this for a debate".  Now that means the whole House, doesn't it, not just the Government.

That doesn't really mean anything. Even if it was given a debate, we can already write the script. The opposition parties will line up to castigate the government for its tin-eared ineptitude, its lack of accountability and call for a general election. The government will respond that convention states that parties are elected not leaders and there are various examples of precedent, from Gordon Brown to Jim Callaghan to Alec Douglas-Home of prime ministers assuming office mid-term without a general election. There will be lots of talk of getting on with the job, and even if it came to a vote, are there enough Tories like Mad Nad to have a majority for an early election? I doubt it.

And even if that was the case, the power to call a general election rests back with the Prime Minister under the prerogative powers after the withdrawal of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act. And she can just say no, although in this scenario under heavy pressure I'd imagine.

Of course, there is a way for the opposition to get a general election regardless, which would be to win a vote of no confidence in the government, but that would still require around 40 turkeys to vote for Christmas, and as we saw in the death throes of the Major years, they'd rather eat themselves alive than cede power early. But my point would be that considering the petition will not lead to an early election and that a mechanism already exists if there was a majority in Parliament for one. And yes, I did sign the petition if only to register my disdain for this current shambles.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

That doesn't really mean anything. Even if it was given a debate, we can already write the script. The opposition parties will line up to castigate the government for its tin-eared ineptitude, its lack of accountability and call for a general election. The government will respond that convention states that parties are elected not leaders and there are various examples of precedent, from Gordon Brown to Jim Callaghan to Alec Douglas-Home of prime ministers assuming office mid-term without a general election. There will be lots of talk of getting on with the job, and even if it came to a vote, are there enough Tories like Mad Nad to have a majority for an early election? I doubt it.

And even if that was the case, the power to call a general election rests back with the Prime Minister under the prerogative powers after the withdrawal of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act. And she can just say no, although in this scenario under heavy pressure I'd imagine.

Of course, there is a way for the opposition to get a general election regardless, which would be to win a vote of no confidence in the government, but that would still require around 40 turkeys to vote for Christmas, and as we saw in the death throes of the Major years, they'd rather eat themselves alive than cede power early. But my point would be that considering the petition will not lead to an early election and that a mechanism already exists if there was a majority in Parliament for one. And yes, I did sign the petition if only to register my disdain for this current shambles.

It's likely the opposition parties will be working to find some reason to debate confidence in the government and force Conservative MPs who are struggling to support some measures to put themselves through the lobbies so their constituents know - for example - they supported benefit cuts. So that petition (495,108 atm) is more a public poll of dissent. Still, some impressive dissent, mind. 

_126961708_dailystar-nc.png.webp

• Like 1

More and more of this sort of thing coming from Tories. They know they’re on their uppers.

FE450F8D-6EC9-494D-84BF-74592CD99391.thumb.jpeg.7335c413e0fa08c14ee4295181f36537.jpeg

• Like 1

Mordaunt being the latest to break ranks (to say they have to stick to the benefits in line with inflation pledge), the ousted and currently under-employed bag of vitriol and ambition that goes by the name of Priti Patel is due onstage later. Oh aye, and...499,766 on the petition now!

Truss may well set a standard for short reigns and low performance as PM that'll see her hold on history as being the benchmark by which incompetence is judged.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Petition for general election is barely 10,000 short of half a million as of a few seconds back. Anyone seen one of the true biggies - like BBC - reporting it? I've seen Metro, Independent and Bloomberg on it today.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/619781?fbclid=IwAR1O0LgirDavx780pIhx6So93_4oZEi4Nnc19MLN2EV5zFyibBDcVukSaw4

Well over half a million now and still going like the clappers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

That is something like 1% of the electorate if my back of the envelope calculations are anything to go by

It feels like the government has imploded and is already at shambles stage. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

That is something like 1% of the electorate if my back of the envelope calculations are anything to go by

And these are only the ones who spend time on social media.  There must be a lot who don't.

• Like 1

Khazi Kwarteng blames the complete horse’s arse he made of the mini budget on Mrs Queen’s death and the pressure associated with that, because he’s a fucking cunt.

He passed time at her funeral pissing himself laughing at his phone, remember.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Aye, but despite reporting every other angle on the implosion/meltdown/shambles haven't seen BBC, ITV etc. commenting on that petition...yet. I mean, if they do, it might - like - get a load more signatures ^_^

I'm right, I think, constitutionally in saying that if 50 million people sign it, she's still okay to hang on so long as the parliamentary party continue to support her. No pressure, then!

Oh aye, and...

The bus has shown up, just waiting to fix the time to throw Kwarang under it! 

309003304_2074340482750463_1301699558511

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

32 million voters in 2019 so about 1.5%

The ref petition only got mentioned by the Beeb when it went over 2 million iirc.

41 minutes ago, TQR said:

Khazi Kwarteng blames the complete horse’s arse he made of the mini budget on Mrs Queen’s death and the pressure associated with that, because he’s a fucking cunt.

He passed time at her funeral pissing himself laughing at his phone, remember.

If the Queen hadn't died, he'd have been delivering his mini budget within the week anyway, so it had no impact on time. She's also been odds-on to win since the start of the campaign, so if they'd had some nous, they'd already have spent some time crunching the numbers and finalising the plan, given it was so vital to "get the economy moving".

13 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, but despite reporting every other angle on the implosion/meltdown/shambles haven't seen BBC, ITV etc. commenting on that petition...yet. I mean, if they do, it might - like - get a load more signatures ^_^

It got mentioned on the BBC live text today in passing:

Screenshot_20221004-153452_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 2

German news saying that the early presentation of the "real" budget will not happen after all.... these people need to be put out of their misery.

Okay, Kwasi Kwarteng will be out in a few days (or hours?). Liz Truss will go shortly afterwards. What then? Can the Tories just put Rishi Sunak on the top? I mean, it does sound like the "best" solution for them.

I assume that BoJo is just waiting in the background to return, but Truss' implosion came too fast. So he has to let somebody else pass for now. So I suspect that Rishi Sunak will experience a lot of inner sabotage, just so that he loses the next general election - which he will probably do, anyway. But yeah, you've got to be sure.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

German news saying that the early presentation of the "real" budget will not happen after all.... these people need to be put out of their misery.

Okay, Kwasi Kwarteng will be out in a few days (or hours?). Liz Truss will go shortly afterwards. What then? Can the Tories just put Rishi Sunak on the top? I mean, it does sound like the "best" solution for them.

I assume that BoJo is just waiting in the background to return, but Truss' implosion came too fast. So he has to let somebody else pass for now. So I suspect that Rishi Sunak will experience a lot of inner sabotage, just so that he loses the next general election - which he will probably do, anyway. But yeah, you've got to be sure.

If there is a Coronation not an election the Conservative activists will be livid but Sunak would probably have a better control of the Parliamentary Party but come election time those foot-soldiers will be needed

Another work of art from Cassetteboy:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

The aforementioned petition is still growing; it’s at 558k now.

One way of looking it is that this is almost 7 times the number of people who voted to make Truss PM.

• Like 2

Truss sacks Conor Burns for serious misconduct allegation.

You can change the leader, you can't change sleazy Tory MPs.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Truss sacks Conor Burns for serious misconduct allegation.

You can change the leader, you can't change sleazy Tory MPs.

Imagine being so awful that Liz Truss things you are beyond the pale 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Imagine being so awful that Liz Truss things you are beyond the pale 

Well yeah, anyone know what he's alleged to have done - happened at the party conference, apparantly 

• Like 1

I've written a frank and forthright letter to my (Tory) MP.  Sent to their home address because I know exactly where they fucking live, so increasing the chance of it actually being read.

I enclosed a copy of the Philip Larkin poem - I particularly like the reference to "crooks and tarts" (and no, that's not sexist).

I have said that although there may still be some decent people in the party, they are all complicit in this shit as long as they stand by and allow it to continue.

• Like 2

So Truss true to her name supporting the roof of our society, unfortunately no consideration for the foundations  of the country without which it might just be an over engineered tent.

I am still waiting on anything that this new Tory cabinet has done apart from borrowed to defer energy costs.

Immigration - hot air so far.

Brexit - disaster.

Growth - can’t personally see any benefits, insolvencies seem to be rising.

Thinking of replacing The Peter principle Cabinet with the Truss Lemma a proof that a government can’t survive without support. 

She might survive but needs to tone down and listen, some definite policy revamps are required.

The trouble is if she gets the boot, the replacement is likely to be even worse.

• Like 2