Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

For some reason over dinner my parents wanted to remind me that Jeremy Hunt oversaw the 2012 Olympic planning when he was Secretary of State for Culture.

Doing a quick Google gives me an article from the Independent saying he wanted to put Hitler on show in opening ceremony. Link that isn't under a paywall.

I am getting a feeling that Jeremy Hunt is not Liz Truss's choice. He has been foisted upon here by "the men in grey suits" as the price for keeping the job for now but it really feels like he is calling the shots.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I am getting a feeling that Jeremy Hunt is not Liz Truss's choice. He has been foisted upon here by "the men in grey suits" as the price for keeping the job for now but it really feels like he is calling the shots.

Yep. Truss only ever planned for Kwasi. Even the Tories know that her sacking him was a bit like Keith Harris sacking Orville for screaming the word ‘bollocks’ at everyone.

Rather than being brought a bottle of whisky and a revolver, the whisky was swapped for Hunt and a 1922ist told her to aim the revolver at Kwasi or they’d aim it at her. This is a government in survival mode, living hour by hour.

I really do think now that a GE could happen much sooner than its due date.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TQR said:

tbh I'm ready to vote these fuckers out ASAP.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, msc said:

You, me and a significant majority of the electorate!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, msc said:

So - apparantly - are over 631,000 others - that said, if the current party in power called an election on the back of today's opinion polls they'd be likely to come back to a Labour government and SNP opposition, turkeys and Christmas comes to mind. 

Just before Jeremy Cunt-Hunt’s statement, Sir Keir Starmer has been granted an urgent question in the HoC, primarily to force Truss to be there when it was speculated she wasn’t going to be. But no; Penny Dreadful is answering Starmer’s question.

Maybe Truss has cunted off already?

5 minutes ago, TQR said:

Just before Jeremy Cunt-Hunt’s statement, Sir Keir Starmer has been granted an urgent question in the HoC, primarily to force Truss to be there when it was speculated she wasn’t going to be. But no; Penny Dreadful is answering Starmer’s question.

Maybe Truss has cunted off already?

Aye, ominous - tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if she's so paralyzed by the situation she's unfit to face it, as in actually presenting with a meltdown in front of everyone. The Daily Star's leccuce is wilting, a bit but still has a day or two left in it 

58 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

they'd be likely to come back

I don't think many of them would be coming back!

• Like 1

Jeremy Hunt used to be close to Penny Morduant. Maybe he has chosen her to take the statement hoping it will force Liz out and one of them will become PM and the other one chancellor. 

30 minutes ago, TQR said:

Yep. Truss only ever planned for Kwasi. Even the Tories know that her sacking him was a bit like Keith Harris sacking Orville for screaming the word ‘bollocks’ at everyone.

Rather than being brought a bottle of whisky and a revolver, the whisky was swapped for Hunt and a 1922ist told her to aim the revolver at Kwasi or they’d aim it at her. This is a government in survival mode, living hour by hour.

They've boxed themselves into a corner. Her entire program has been ditched, she's politically irrelevant. But she'll stay in office (not in power) until they can agree on a replacement. They can't afford another free-for-all, and certainly won't trust the members again.

But equally, if they agree to change leader, then it is impossible for them to avoid a general election, as the new PM's legitimacy would be near zero. There are even plenty of Tories coming round to that way of thinking, such is the shit show even they are watching unfold. And any election is guaranteed to be a Tory massacre, because they won't even be fighting the election with a truly elected leader, simply some caretaker to sort out Liz Truss's mess. What vision can they offer for the future?

1 hour ago, TQR said:

But no; Penny Dreadful is answering Starmer’s question.

And of course by “answering” I mean gaslighting on an industrial scale. Absolutely dreadful behaviour. She’s basically saying “Sure, the PM did set fire to your house, but she called the fire brigade eventually.”

Tory cancer has metastasised to every single piece of offal left in the party.

Fuming.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Reeves absolutely pulverised Hunt (unfortunately only figuratively), just as Starmer did with the absent Truss earlier. Mildly comforted by this.

I'm baffled.

Weeks ago the new PMs government and backbench colleagues were (rightly in my opinion) slagging off the Bank of England for not raising interest rates sooner. Now, free market Tories are "compassionately" looking at how to relieve mortgage payers of the increased burden on the pockets - an intervention in the markets on a colossal scale. (AFAIK interest rates are going up again in a couple of weeks - it should be 2%, it will be 0.75% at least).

Hunt seems to have largely adopted the Labour model on the economy, without the windfall tax which would correct the market and without the investment spending needed to boost growth, instead cutting spending and cutting tax increases, relying almost wholly on Corporation Tax. Which should lead to large scale insolvencies being declared.

Essentially we have had a mini Budget in emergency which is largely dead. So we need another mini Budget to give a declared direction of travel.

This is even more economically illiterate than Kwarteng/Truss plan. 

It's time for the country to have its say.

Can you remember when Boris got kicked out and Labour were told to be careful what they wish for? :P

1 hour ago, Windsor said:

Can you remember when Boris got kicked out and Labour were told to be careful what they wish for? :P

To be fair Mordaunt and Sunak (the two most likely successors to Truss) will surely give the Tories a 6 point or more boost. Still that will put Labour 10 or more points ahead. 

If Liz Truss is quick, she can sink the ship by calling a general election while she's still PM.  That would be sweet revenge.

23 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

To be fair Mordaunt and Sunak (the two most likely successors to Truss) will surely give the Tories a 6 point or more boost. Still thst will put Labour 10 or more points ahead. 

Aye, game on!

36 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

To be fair Mordaunt and Sunak (the two most likely successors to Truss) will surely give the Tories a 6 point or more boost. Still thst will put Labour 10 or more points ahead. 

Don’t bank on much of a boost.

Mordaunt came across appallingly today, and her loyalty to Truss will count against her.

Sunak, despite his predictions of what would happen with a Truss/Kamikwasi budget being correct, is unpopular with the membership, was caught up in the partygate lies and remember the astonishing comments about wealth distribution? Plenty of the electorate do.

No matter who fights the next election for the Tories, they will suffer heavy, heavy losses. I’ll be absolutely staggered if they manage 200 seats, and probably less so if they failed to reach 100.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

I'm baffled.

Weeks ago the new PMs government and backbench colleagues were (rightly in my opinion) slagging off the Bank of England for not raising interest rates sooner. Now, free market Tories are "compassionately" looking at how to relieve mortgage payers of the increased burden on the pockets - an intervention in the markets on a colossal scale. (AFAIK interest rates are going up again in a couple of weeks - it should be 2%, it will be 0.75% at least).

Hunt seems to have largely adopted the Labour model on the economy, without the windfall tax which would correct the market and without the investment spending needed to boost growth, instead cutting spending and cutting tax increases, relying almost wholly on Corporation Tax. Which should lead to large scale insolvencies being declared.

Essentially we have had a mini Budget in emergency which is largely dead. So we need another mini Budget to give a declared direction of travel.

This is even more economically illiterate than Kwarteng/Truss plan. 

It's time for the country to have its say.

One of the main issues is that there needs to be a degree of capital retention to give a solid bade for investment. When firms are owned and managed by private equity vehicles the assets are just rinsed for profit distribution. This is the case with a lot of the energy companies who have just been margin sellers, no purchase hedging profit taking and then when the crunch comes little in the way of assets is present for support. The revised mini budget restores some certainty and wipes out a lot of the freebies.As a calming exercise it seems to have worked, we now need some sensible policies with properly managed projects not jobs for the boys with major bail outs.

• Like 1