Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

What a mess.

• Like 1

If only that odious turd had died in that plane crash back in 2010!

It absolutely breaks my heart but I think they've finally done it. The Tories and their right-wing mates in the press have irrevocably broken the BBC. Either the BBC is a state institution controlled by the government of the day, where all staff are gagged for the entirety of their tenure. Or, they row back, Lineker is somehow reinstated with a slap on the wrist and thousands of people refuse to ever pay their TV licence again and the right wing commentators have a field day. Both outcomes are horrific. And I don't see a third way. I can only pray that the Twitter echo chamber is a very unrepresentative sample of opinion, that we can somehow get through this, the next 18 months pass as quickly as possible, the Tories are decimated, Labour clear out the top brass at the BBC, appoint independent minded replacements, impartiality rules are clarified so that there is a clear distinction between "BBC views" and "private views" and we start to move on from this mess. But, as I say, I fear the damage is already done. :(

• Sad 1

Didn't Gary Lineker once say that football is a sport in which 22 players chase a ball around and the Tories always win?

• Like 3

43A809A2-0BB7-4AA2-9C60-B6B56DC16686.thumb.jpeg.24b54c21f347cde7857edf14880839fb.jpeg

Good. Fuck the BBC highers-up and fuck the Gammon & Pineapple party.

I wonder if the disgraced chairman Richard Sharp will imminently be handed his sandwiches wrapped in a road map?

• Like 3

In an ideal world, his revised contract would allow him to tweet whatever the fuck he likes, in return for a salary cut from £1.35m to something reasonable for presenting a fucking football show such as £50k, with the savings going to good and needy causes eg refugee welfare. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

In an ideal world, his revised contract would allow him to tweet whatever the fuck he likes, in return for a salary cut from £1.35m to something reasonable for presenting a fucking football show such as £50k, with the savings going to good and needy causes eg refugee welfare. 

In the interests of impartiality, the BBC would have to give some to refugee welfare, and some to finance thugs to beat them up. :lol:

• Like 1

On 10/03/2023 at 17:24, msc said:

Also this happened yesterday:

Fiona Bruce is to step down from her role.

Not as QT host, which she fucking well should, but as ambassador to the charity Refuge.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more depressing thing in my life than this. And I once saw a pool of puke slosh over an ill man on a choppy ferry.

AFE21D56-DF1A-476D-ABD6-7E4645295558.thumb.jpeg.bbb07af9464e5351073724caaddc335f.jpeg

• Like 1

I believe the BBC just tried to gaslight me.

They had some dame on talking about the lack of people to fill vacancies, explaining that many people left the workplace during COVID and decided not to return. Various reasons including the lack of stacking a pension pot were  mentioned.

Loads of people were made REDUNDANT during lockdown. Many of the jobs available now are those jobs which had been done by EU people who have deserted the country after Brexit. The jobs are either low paid or no hours contract on the one hand, or too skilled that only folk with those skills can do them. Many businesses are struggling with inflation and high energy bills and many face closure anyway (a real incentive to get back to work if you could be out of a job in moments). Many businesses have closed already.

Imagine all those folk voluntarily tripping off to the golf course or sitting on their arses watching Bargain Hunt and Countdown. Then you'll realise yet again we are being told lies. No industrial strategy (promised by Theresa May!!!), no way forward, short-termism and failure to properly handle the economy have got us here.

Jesus.

9 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I believe the BBC just tried to gaslight me.

They had some dame on talking about the lack of people to fill vacancies, explaining that many people left the workplace during COVID and decided not to return. Various reasons including the lack of stacking a pension pot were  mentioned.

Loads of people were made REDUNDANT during lockdown. Many of the jobs available now are those jobs which had been done by EU people who have deserted the country after Brexit. The jobs are either low paid or no hours contract on the one hand, or too skilled that only folk with those skills can do them. Many businesses are struggling with inflation and high energy bills and many face closure anyway (a real incentive to get back to work if you could be out of a job in moments). Many businesses have closed already.

Imagine all those folk voluntarily tripping off to the golf course or sitting on their arses watching Bargain Hunt and Countdown. Then you'll realise yet again we are being told lies. No industrial strategy (promised by Theresa May!!!), no way forward, short-termism and failure to properly handle the economy have got us here.

Jesus.

Why don't you work?

1 minute ago, Grim Up North said:

Why don't you work?

Long story.

If I don't need to, I won't work under a Tory Government. :lol:

Note: I'm not claiming a single benefit, just in case anyone wants to brand me a scrounger. :P

9 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Why don't you work?

Y-Dub is too large to climb the basement stairs and get through the door. 

On 14/03/2023 at 11:54, YoungWillz said:

Note: I'm not claiming a single benefit, just in case anyone wants to brand me a scrounger. :P

I think I know who you are, claiming free accommodation, the internet sensation Andrew Tate. 

• Haha 1

So the DUP don't like the Windsor Framework designed to help Norn Ireland have the best of British and EU trade.

I know what they do like. Sitting on their arses moaning and getting paid a handsome salary to represent their constituents so to do. When are we ever getting another election there? Must be about due.

Meantime the "totally impartial" BBC reporting the difficulties being experienced by communities due to asylum claimants being put up in local hotels. And quite clearly equating that to the increase in small boats.

But not reporting the failure of Government to process claims expeditiously or to take any steps to date to stem the arrival of boats, despite having passed legislation to do so over a year ago.

I almost laughed when I saw "Christopher", an 84 year old pensioner outside the retirement village known as The Wiltshire, complaining he couldn't use the facilities. I'm sure he might be on the main news later, watch out for the unfortunate appearance of a "Hitler moustache" on his upper lip.

On a different continent Trump about to be allegedly indicted. On ours Boris to be brought to account, to lose his seat as an MP and potentially financiers of offshore limited who may reside on another continent that allegedly Trump was aligned to. Small world isn’t it. 

The Daily Star does it again. Except, of course, we all know he's both.

Screenshot_20230322-074753_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

Nick Robinson on Twitter helpfully précised the honking pudding’s defence:

“I repeatedly assured you that there there were no parties & the rules were followed at all times. 

“I now accept there were parties & the rules were, in fact, broken.

“No-one told me.

“In fact, my press officer told me to say the opposite.

“Downing St is a very old building.

“We were working very very hard.

“So, you couldn’t expect us to follow our own guidance on social distancing.

“Guidance isn’t the same as the rules anyway.

“I said what I believed at the time.

“I corrected it once the Met & Sue Gray revealed the truth.

“The committee of MPs investigating me has a lower level of proof than a court.

“It is full of people who don’t like me.

“It’s not fair.”

It’s not exactly news that the guy is an absolute weapon, but fuck me…

• Like 2

‘Windsor Framework’ discussion:

A0E44935-7528-4C7F-8022-FFEDC9B13561.thumb.jpeg.012161a0639af028d696b4950eb60c8a.jpeg

• Like 1

• Like 2

Banging committee, that.

Anyway, thankfully on such a slow news day, Rishi Sunak finally published his tax returns. No, wait, that’s not exactly true; No.10 reluctantly and quietly produced a summary of his UK taxable income from 2021-22.

On an income of £1.97m, the £432k of tax he paid equates to 21.9%. Doesn’t sound like a lot to me.