Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

It’s the same with people taken hostage in dangerous countries. They go against their government advices, and it’s their government who pay the ransom (or sometime send soldiers who are killed in the process) to free them.

I don’t know about UK but here in France we had several cases these past years, with people taken hostages in Mali or in the area.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

It has been in a constant state of unrest since 2018-19. That is if we are generous with the timeline.

For once I agree 100% with you. Similar to how I feel of people traveling to North Korea or Russia. Own up to your stupidity.  

Some of the non native employees of the Sudanese industries we were working with came to our seminars in Addis Ababa were more interested in the availability of alcohol (and other commodities not available in Sudan) then the contents of the seminar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Something tells some local Tory parties are a tad concerened about tomorrow

FvMa8EJXsAMOa07.png

How about blaming the local conservatives who elected Liz Truss as leader to crash the economy inside 6 weeks? Or the local conservatives deselecting MPs who were in favour of ousting Boris Johnson for his numerous indiscretions? Seems to me they're entirely fair game for blame and deserve everything that's coming their way.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

How about blaming the local conservatives who elected Liz Truss as leader to crash the economy inside 6 weeks? Or the local conservatives deselecting MPs who were in favour of ousting Boris Johnson for his numerous indiscretions? Seems to me they're entirely fair game for blame and deserve everything that's coming their way.

Basically

• Like 2

Vote tactically. If you’re that way inclined, like.

1 minute ago, prussianblue said:

Douglas Ross, is that you?

Wash your mouth out.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TQR said:

My ward has a Green councillor who lives locally and is incredibly hard-working and conscientious.  The Tory candidate is an immensely rich local landowner with a vast estate, who is gradually buying up independent businesses in our neck of the woods, including the local newspaper. 

Hmmmm, who to choose .............. :scratchhead:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I vote for independent candidates. If they have labour or conservative next to their name they won't get my vote. Few others I know are doing the same.

Thanks to boundary changes I'll be voting in a newly created ward this time round. My previous ward was either green or labour, depending on whose candidates/party fucked-up the least (generally those not in control). I expect this new ward will go Labour/Green, as those seem to be the only two parties doing any canvassing, although there's a strong independent showing this year which often appeals to people fed-up of the mainstream. Tories & Lib Dems have been conspicuous by their absence; one of the Tory candidates has had no presence whatsoever, either in person or on-line.

1 hour ago, the_engineer said:

I vote for independent candidates

Does such a thing exist, independent ? I mean, even if they are not affiliated to Tory or Labour, candidates have opinions/ideas which are, even slightly, leftist or right wring, progressive or conservative, against or for brexit…

24 minutes ago, Sinbabad said:

Does such a thing exist, independent ? I mean, even if they are not affiliated to Tory or Labour, candidates have opinions/ideas which are, even slightly, leftist or right wring, progressive or conservative, against or for brexit…

It is largely around funding.

Independents do not have access to party funds (they may be funded by another means). Usually they are single issue parties or former party members who have lost the nomination but still want to stand. Many of them are on the hard left or the hard right. 

Probably easier to vote for at council level rather than national level

9 hours ago, TQR said:

Easy for me, the only candidates are 1 Labour and 1 Tory.

5 hours ago, the_engineer said:

I vote for independent candidates. If they have labour or conservative next to their name they won't get my vote. Few others I know are doing the same.

Do you do any research on them before you vote for your independent? Just because they're not Tory or Labour doesn't mean they have remotely desirable policies.

• Like 3

1 Lab, 1 Con, 1 Lib and 1 Ind were the choices here.

LDs always do shit round my way, and I’ve no idea who the Ind person is - they did no flyering like the other candidates did. The Con’s leaflet said something about not blaming him for the “mistakes made in Westminster”, which raised a smile but obviously I’d still rather bang nails in my bollocks than vote for that shite.

And so, Lab took it. Unfortunately, there are a fair few Tories in my area and it’d take quite a swing to chuck em out. We shall see.

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

It is largely around funding.

Independents do not have access to party funds (they may be funded by another means). Usually they are single issue parties or former party members who have lost the nomination but still want to stand. Many of them are on the hard left or the hard right. 

Probably easier to vote for at council level rather than national level

Ok so it’s mostly a question of funding, not opinions or ideas.

Independent usually just meant "rich person with behavioral problems" on my ballot, ie Ross Perot or Kanye West. Not an ironclad rule, but usually.

• Like 1

Genuinely didn't plan to vote today. Not because I don't believe in anything that's on offer, this government needs kicking at every opportunity but I am deeply uncomfortable with the voter ID laws, the reasons they have been brought in and the imagined problem they're solving. The other factor is that I have no idea where my passport is - it has a remarkable ability to disappear at will and reappear when I have no need of it at all.

But I got an incredibly uneasy feeling as the night was wearing on. I've never missed an election day (bar one December council by-election I forgot about) and if ever there was a government to vote against, this is it. So I rooted out my old passport (which is easier to find for some reason) and headed round the corner to the polling station. Reluctantly showed him my ID and made a clear, unambiguous mark for my candidate. And, in the limited space available (only 2 candidates, remember?) I left a clear, unambiguous message that this corrupt government should focus on actual issues like the climate, NHS and cost-of-living, rather than political gerrymandering over imagined hysteria.

• Like 1

I didn`t even register at my new address. I find all the parties now just too obnoxious to vote for.

And yet you lot still bang on about this modern fad about an ‘elected head of state’.

it’ll never catch on…

1 hour ago, Windsor said:

And yet you lot still bang on about this modern fad about an ‘elected head of state’.

it’ll never catch on…

You must be the only royalist in the whole of Scotland. 

A remarkable dedication one can only applaud.

3 minutes ago, En Passant said:

You must be the only royalist in the whole of Scotland.

I can find you some hardcore Rangers fans if you want to have a nice civilised chat with such people...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

such people...

I've really never got this, the whole rangers / celtic thing. Is it football, religion or simply tribalism at it's most basic?

6 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

civilised

Forgive my cynicism, this seems unlikely.

4 minutes ago, En Passant said:

I've really never got this, the whole rangers / celtic thing. Is it football, religion or simply tribalism at it's most basic?

All of the above and more.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1