Sign in to follow this  
Phantom

Silly Sports

I don't give a toss about rassling, never have, but as we say in Dutch ieder z'n meug. If I'd had to get my nickers in a twist about all the silly things other people like and do, I'd be busy the rest of my life. Do you have any idea how silly cricket, bowls, american football, footy, ruggers, speed skating, fierljeppen, pole sitting, chess, sumo, or the Eton wall game look to outsiders?

regards,

Hein

I personally have never been able to comprehend lacrosse, more so box lacrosse. To me it looks like 6 people running around with butterfly nets trying to catch a ball. But then again my brother in law is enthusiastic about the sport that he even buys a season ticket with 5 additional seats.

• Like 1

I personally have never been able to comprehend lacrosse, more so box lacrosse. To me it looks like 6 people running around with butterfly nets trying to catch a ball. But then again my brother in law is enthusiastic about the sport that he even buys a season ticket with 5 additional seats.

Was that one of those buy one, get five free offers?

The silliest thing I remember watching (for a few minutes) was underwater chess. One I was suprised to learn I rather liked is kaatsen, best thought of as tennis for six without rackets and net. The scoring system is of a complexity that Brits must admire, but play is quick and exciting.

regards,

Hein

The silliest thing I remember watching (for a few minutes) was underwater chess. One I was suprised to learn I rather liked is kaatsen, best thought of as tennis for six without rackets and net. The scoring system is of a complexity that Brits must admire, but play is quick and exciting.

regards,

Hein

No, he has to pay extra for them. A couple of years ago he'd do the season ticket with 3 extra seats.

I think I would watch underwater chess, but I'd also need to record it as I don't think anyone would believe that I was watching it.

Just the other day (for about 10 minutes) I was watching televised 10-pin bowling on ESPN, but that was only because I know one of the commentators.

No, he has to pay extra for them. A couple of years ago he'd do the season ticket with 3 extra seats.

Good grief. As I understand it, it's an outdoors pastime. I like to be outside, but I prefer good weather for that. There are many outside things that I'd rather do on a nice day than watch lacrosse. Inside sports (and sport the on box) at least have use as entertainment on rainy days, although there's competition for that.

I held season tickets for Feyenoord for a few years. Wind and rain (and poor performance) didn't stop me watching from the stands.

I'll stop now, we're drifting off topic. There may be some more amusement in this topic.

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein
Topic split

Good grief. As I understand it, it's an outdoors pastime. I like to be outside, but I prefer good weather for that. There are many outside things that I'd rather do on a nice day than watch lacrosse. Inside sports (and sport the on box) at least have use as entertainment on rainy days, although there's competition for that.

I held season tickets for Feyenoord for a few years. Wind and rain (and poor performance) didn't stop me watching from the stands.

I'll stop now, we're drifting off topic. There may be some more amusement in this topic.

regards,

Hein

I don't mind football so much, although it depends on the atmosphere. The last football game I went to was between Chelsea and Stuttgart for the 1998 Cup Winners Cup final. I only went to that because someone had a spare ticket after their friend was arrested the night before for starting a fight in one of the bars in Stockholm.

• Like 1

I don't mind football so much, although it depends on the atmosphere. The last football game I went to was between Chelsea and Stuttgart for the 1998 Cup Winners Cup final. I only went to that because someone had a spare ticket after their friend was arrested the night before for starting a fight in one of the bars in Stockholm.

:D

I did see a few European away matches of Feyenoord. I didn't quite fit in the company I went with. I remember an away match in Milan where I was pointed at for appreciating the Piazza del Duomo's architecture for its design rather than as furniture.

regards,

Hein

For those of you who like me couldn't care less about American football you might not have heard about this yet:

The sport is currently trying its best to make cricket controversies look non-silly with a "balls not inflated enough" scandal.

For those of you who like me couldn't care less about American football you might not have heard about this yet:

The sport is currently trying its best to make cricket controversies look non-silly with a "balls not inflated enough" scandal.

That's pretty much all we've been hearing about on the news here in Minneapolis. Since most of the people here either support Green Bay Packers or Minnesota Vikings, it dominates the news.

What I don't understand is why each club provides the balls, but instead have the NFL say these are the ones you're playing with and kick all the others to one side.

I thought the balls had been inspected (oooer missus) before the game and found to be fine, but it was during the game there's the accusation that they were deflated?

I personally have never been able to comprehend lacrosse, more so box lacrosse. To me it looks like 6 people running around with butterfly nets trying to catch a ball.

I was forced to play lacrosse at school. I was hopeless at it. To be fair, most of my classmates were crap at it too.

You would think that it was a matter of catching the ball in the net on your stick, then running and flinging it into the goal. But no. Once you have the ball, you have to swing your stick violently from side to side. This is called "cradling". It is supposed to make it difficult for opponents to tackle you. (This is done by bashing their stick against yours, thus knocking the ball out.)

Alas, for most of us "cradling" invariably resulted in the ball immediately flying out of our nets. No tackling necessary.

I've always thought that dressage, which appears to comprise of sitting on a horse and making it walk in circles around a sandpit, a pretty strange sport.

• Like 1

We were made to play hockey (the proper sort, on grass) at school. I remember having a major disagreement with the referee (teacher) when he whistled me for turning, he gave me the whistle and told me to take over.

Yup, dressage is silly. A few 'sports' that come close: synchronised swimming, nordic walking (cross country skiing without skis and snow), pigeon racing and tournament fishing.

regards,

Hein

That's pretty much all we've been hearing about on the news here in Minneapolis. Since most of the people here either support Green Bay Packers or Minnesota Vikings, it dominates the news.

What I don't understand is why each club provides the balls, but instead have the NFL say these are the ones you're playing with and kick all the others to one side.

I thought the balls had been inspected (oooer missus) before the game and found to be fine, but it was during the game there's the accusation that they were deflated?

This kind of bullshit is so tedious. It won't affect a sport as "big" as NFL (i.e. one where tons of idiots blindly worship it no matter what).

But I remember as a young'un in the mid-90s when I saw the TV news reports of Michael Atherton getting in "major" trouble just for rubbing a bit of dirt from his pocket on a cricket ball....... I've never really been able to take cricket seriously when that is pretty much my first memory of it, lololoolo. I've watched the Ashes but never felt really comfortable doing so.

F1's popularity has been severely hobbled over the last decade by this kind of petty rule-infringements type of thing too. Although, there's plenty of other issues too (hence dropping viewership and a considerable sense of panic in the sport right now) but I'm not telling a squillionaire like Bernie, or his gormless subordinates, what they're doing wrong for free thats for fucking sure.

Can wrestling go into this topic please?

So it is not discussed at length elsewhere.....

• Like 1

9601%20-%20laughing%20smiling%20stone_co

LOLOLOL

Come on, I think a lot more threads end up in lengthy discussions of Dr. Who. Not sure how serious you are there.......

I've been thinking about making a wrestling discussion thread here on extra-curricular for a while. I just thought it would annoy or spook some of the.... well, types like you, I guess. But to me it seems nonsensical, surely if "they" can handle the DDP being dominated by someone who seems like some sort of e-robot built by the denizens of the CookdandBombd forums, and sit there fawningly congratulating him at the end of each year, I honestly can't see how they would consider a wrestling thread "more" tasteless than that.......

Still not sure if you're seriously angling for wrestling to be "segregated" though

I don't get the revulsion towards wrestling. I mean, cricket and F1 aren't my thing, but I know lots of folk on here enjoy one or the other, so more power to them.

LOLOLOL

Come on, I think a lot more threads end up in lengthy discussions of Dr. Who. Not sure how serious you are there.......

I've been thinking about making a wrestling discussion thread here on extra-curricular for a while. I just thought it would annoy or spook some of the.... well, types like you, I guess. But to me it seems nonsensical, surely if "they" can handle the DDP being dominated by someone who seems like some sort of e-robot built by the denizens of the CookdandBombd forums, and sit there fawningly congratulating him at the end of each year, I honestly can't see how they would consider a wrestling thread "more" tasteless than that.......

Still not sure if you're seriously angling for wrestling to be "segregated" though

It was really an atempt at a humorous anotation to the discussion we are having on the 2015 Deathlist thread.

I don't have any interest in Wrestling (or really sport for that matter) and I have no idea who most of these people are and once I know they are Wrestlers I have no wish to know more.

Live and let live.

They are not going to end up on any of my teams and I will moan about them if they appear on the main list (in a 'well I wouldn't have' way) but there is nothing to stop you filling your own teams with them and them being discussed in their own threads . I will skim over them as I do the American Football and Ice Hockey threads.

It got quite grumpy after I left yesterday.

LOLOLOL

It was really an atempt at a humorous anotation to the discussion we are having on the 2015 Deathlist thread.

I don't have any interest in Wrestling (or really sport for that matter) and I have no idea who most of these people are and once I know they are Wrestlers I have no wish to know more.

Live and let live.

They are not going to end up on any of my teams and I will moan about them if they appear on the main list (in a 'well I wouldn't have' way) but there is nothing to stop you filling your own teams with them and them being discussed in their own threads . I will skim over them as I do the American Football and Ice Hockey threads.

It got quite grumpy after I left yesterday.

Yeah..... ok I wasnt sure if you were kidding or not. The other reason I haven't made one is I find the current state of it terrible (the extremely few times I actually care to notice/check in on it, I mean) so that's why. After all, the corporate behemoth "WWF"/WWE bought-out all their competition/rivals nearly 14 years ago now so maybe it's not really surprising.

This kind of bullshit is so tedious. It won't affect a sport as "big" as NFL (i.e. one where tons of idiots blindly worship it no matter what).

But I remember as a young'un in the mid-90s when I saw the TV news reports of Michael Atherton getting in "major" trouble just for rubbing a bit of dirt from his pocket on a cricket ball....... I've never really been able to take cricket seriously when that is pretty much my first memory of it, lololoolo. I've watched the Ashes but never felt really comfortable doing so.

F1's popularity has been severely hobbled over the last decade by this kind of petty rule-infringements type of thing too. Although, there's plenty of other issues too (hence dropping viewership and a considerable sense of panic in the sport right now) but I'm not telling a squillionaire like Bernie, or his gormless subordinates, what they're doing wrong for free thats for fucking sure.

There was that and also the controversy about a few bowlers keeping bottle caps in their pockets to gouge bits out of the cricket ball.

Ever since the whole thing with match fixing involving fooball players such as Bruce Grobbelaar, it ruined my enjoyment of the game. I was never sure if players were really trying their best to win or if there was a promise of a big cash bonus if they let in a few goals.

There was that and also the controversy about a few bowlers keeping bottle caps in their pockets to gouge bits out of the cricket ball.

Ever since the whole thing with match fixing involving fooball players such as Bruce Grobbelaar, it ruined my enjoyment of the game. I was never sure if players were really trying their best to win or if there was a promise of a big cash bonus if they let in a few goals.

Well Grobelaar was cleared. Also I think you'll find that's only the second-most odd thing he's ever been involved in.

Well Grobelaar was cleared. Also I think you'll find that's only the second-most odd thing he's ever been involved in.

It still put that doubt in my head and after that I couldn't really (for want of a better phrase) take the game seriously.

Ladie's Gaelic Football (GAA).  Now that's silly.
Former Ballymacarbry and Waterford star Patricia Butler has sadly passed away.

Patricia was honoured at Croke Park on TG4 All-Ireland Final Day, September 15, as a member of the Waterford 1994 Jubilee team.

Patricia enjoyed a glittering playing career for club and county, winning a Junior All-Ireland and four All-Ireland Senior medals in Waterford colours, and ten All-Ireland crowns with her beloved Ballymacarbry.

SC

Post whoring double posting cuz I can - and it annoys.  But this is a great main thread, maybe smarter to move the thread not bitch about posting in it. 

British strongman Simon 'Power' Plant, who held 14 world records, has died aged 47.  Plant had been training for his latest feat - pulling a 19-ton fire engine hitched to an ambulance. 

He was renowned for eating 28 raw eggs and six jacket potatoes a day.  The plasterer had been battling health problems after his weight rose to 26 stone, according to the Sun.  But he had recently lost six stone as he trained for his next challenge to raise cash for a children's charity.  Plant died of natural causes.
SC

• Like 1