Magere Hein

Death In The Family

It's been a long day, but I write to update and to confirm that my mother died around 9:50 EST today. I could literally type the entire first post of this thread by Hein, as it describes everything that happened to my mother as well, she being 84 the only difference. I live in Louisiana and had JUST visited her in Detroit with my 4 yr old daughter Dec 30-Jan 5, and although frail, she was lucid. 13 days later she is gone. It had been 10 months since our last visit and I honestly think she held on to see us one last time. Who knows.... maybe death just happens, I haven't the answers. She was the most selfless human being I ever knew, and it was sad to see dementia/Alzheimer's take it's toll the last couple years.

Enough babbling from me.

Sir Creep

Many Condolences to you and yours and thanks for your kind thoughts on my loss too Sir C.

• Like 2

It's been a long day, but I write to update and to confirm that my mother died around 9:50 EST today.

My condolences, Sir. I know from experience that in these circumstances words offer little help and consolation. Alzheimer's is a cruel disease. It takes away the most precious of the affected: her or his personality.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

It's been a long day, but I write to update and to confirm that my mother died around 9:50 EST today. I could literally type the entire first post of this thread by Hein, as it describes everything that happened to my mother as well, she being 84 the only difference. I live in Louisiana and had JUST visited her in Detroit with my 4 yr old daughter Dec 30-Jan 5, and although frail, she was lucid. 13 days later she is gone. It had been 10 months since our last visit and I honestly think she held on to see us one last time. Who knows.... maybe death just happens, I haven't the answers. She was the most selfless human being I ever knew, and it was sad to see dementia/Alzheimer's take it's toll the last couple years.

Enough babbling from me.

Sir Creep

Sorry for your loss. I totally believe that sometimes people hang on until the 'right' time. My sister was very ill for months, we all visited at different times, but she died on a morning when we were thankfully all there with her. Good wishes to you.

My great-grandmother, matriarch of the whole family, died yesterday. She was in the hospital for a couple of weeks because she was swollen waist-down. Her health started rapidly deteriorating in the hospital, and for the past week she had been barely able to speak, hear, see or move. It was horrifying to look at her on that hospital bed.

She died eight days before her 96th birthday.

My great-grandmother, matriarch of the whole family, died yesterday. She was in the hospital for a couple of weeks because she was swollen waist-down. Her health started rapidly deteriorating in the hospital, and for the past week she had been barely able to speak, hear, see or move. It was horrifying to look at her on that hospital bed.

Sorry to hear that, my sympathies Rad. When a strong person lives so long, it sometimes seems they are invincible, all the more shocking when they go.

Peace, YoungWillz.

Her funeral is tomorrow. This is the first time somebody so close to me has died.

Sorry to hear that, my sympathies Rad. When a strong person lives so long, it sometimes seems they are invincible, all the more shocking when they go.

Peace, YoungWillz.

Yeah, she was very strong. Her health was amazing until a few weeks before her death. We all expected her to live to be 100+!

• Like 1

My younger brother passed away this morning. He was knocked down by a drunk driver while on holiday in Spain 26 years ago and since then had been severely head injured. Due to our then fantastic health care and latterly home care by my parents and myself, he lasted until today when a lung infection finally did for him. My best friend whie growing up, will miss him so much.

My condolences - sending you coping vibes too.

• Like 1

Oh man I do understand - I lost my family matriach last Tuesday. My condolences and sending coping vibes to you.

My younger brother passed away this morning. He was knocked down by a drunk driver while on holiday in Spain 26 years ago and since then had been severely head injured. Due to our then fantastic health care and latterly home care by my parents and myself, he lasted until today when a lung infection finally did for him. My best friend whie growing up, will miss him so much.

My condolences - sending you coping vibes too.

Many Thanks Random, we also got news that my aunt in America died the same day as my brother. We have the brother's funeral today, but last night discovered we had a gas leak. We now have ready made holes in the ground outside the house. Wish we had known before we organised the cremation! It's going to be a long 2015! My condolences on your loss too RG. Peace.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear Rad. Sounds like it was her time, 95+ a great run. Not many of us get to hang with our G-Grandparents, I hope you got to hear some interesting family stories.

SC

Enough babbling from me.

Sir Creep

I am so sorry for your loss Sir Creep, nothing I can say will make it better having been through it myself recently I understand, but know that this little Scottish lady is thinking of you. Take care.

Lady Grendel

x

• Like 1

My great uncle has died after a short battle with lung cancer, he was in his 60s.

I didn't know him very well, but I wanted to mention this to point out a strange coincidence.

January 19, 2015 - was my half birthday and my great-grandmother died, at age almost 96.

July 19, 2015 - is my 14th birthday, and my great uncle died.

Creepy...

My great uncle has died after a short battle with lung cancer, he was in his 60s.

I didn't know him very well, but I wanted to mention this to point out a strange coincidence.

January 19, 2015 - was my half birthday and my great-grandmother died, at age almost 96.

Creepy...

Condolences to you and your family RadGuy!

• Like 1

Creepy...

Thoughts are with you and your family RadGuy.

• Like 1

Creepy...

Prayers go out to you and your family RadGuy.

• Like 1

Creepy...

may he rest in peace radguy
  • Like 1

Creepy...

Sad news, sorry to hear. And I didn't realise you were such a young'un!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your loss.

• Like 1

Thank you for all of your condolences.

Some reason I'm just catching up with this thread. Actually, RadGuy, it's those 'creepy' coincidences that help bond us as families. My mother died on her father's birthday, for example. May he RIP.

SC

My mother died on the 25th anniversary of her father's death.

• Like 1

Creepy...

Delayed condolences RadGuy.

Nana nearly passed on the 28th anniversary of my mother's death, but she was stubborn or maybe considerate and passed just over a month later. I think she didn't want us to have to grieve throught another Christmas time death despite being a staunch athiest.

Coincidences.

My boyfriend's granddaughter was born on the same day as his dead best friend's birthday. His dead best friend's grandson was born on the same day my sister died. His dead best friend's funeral was on my ex-husband's birthday.

And my birthday is the same as Peter Falk, who I believe may be suffering from Alzheimer's.

• Like 5

Not a death in my family, but my eldest daughter is currently abroad on holiday with her best friend (who is in fact an evil drug dealing bitch that has extorted thousands of pounds out of my very naive and gullible daughter) and her best friend's mum. So as you can imagine I've been a very worried and neurotic mother, as my daughter has some health issues of her own and I was worried about her being so far away.

Turns out it wasn't her I should have worried about - the best friend's mum took ill this week, my daughter went in her bedroom yesterday to check on her after a sleep and found her dead. So now my daughter's friend (who cannot see past the next line of speed and double portion of big mac and fries) and my daughter (who with the best will in the world, has a minor learning difficulty and is not the sharpest tool in the box) are now having to deal with the British consulate, insurance companies etc etc, and I am sat here going out of my mind with worry. They seem to have it in hand, the insurance company and holiday reps are helping, and they are flying home over the weekend. I'd laugh if it wasn't so fucking tragic all round.