Magere Hein

Death In The Family

Thank you all for your thoughtful wishes. It's so kind. He is still lingering, obviously putting up a fight. I have reached out to other very good friends and ex-relatives I had not spoken to for years and when comparing notes, we all feel something is not quite right here with the situation with his girlfriend. He had told us all that he while he valued this woman he also valued his independence too and he would never make a full commitment to her. They don't even cohabit.

I'm afraid it kicked off slightly at the hospital today when a friend visited and questioned why my daughter was not listed as next of kin. The girlfriend stormed out cussing. My daughter has said her goodbyes and left a card for her dad if he ever wakes up. She will return once her dad is able to speak to her. She can't face being stuck in a room surrounded by monitors bleeping and all the time this woman is there making it obvious my daughter is not welcome. A cynical person might think she's after his money and I think they'd be right. More fool him for boasting about a retirement nest egg. I can't see how he has any cash stashed away as he's long since drunk it all. Time will tell though.

• Like 1

Thoughts are with you and your daughter Wednesday Addams.How old is he?

On 21/04/2017 at 00:38, WednesdayAddams said:

Thank you all for your thoughtful wishes. It's so kind. He is still lingering, obviously putting up a fight. I have reached out to other very good friends and ex-relatives I had not spoken to for years and when comparing notes, we all feel something is not quite right here with the situation with his girlfriend. He had told us all that he while he valued this woman he also valued his independence too and he would never make a full commitment to her. They don't even cohabit.

I'm afraid it kicked off slightly at the hospital today when a friend visited and questioned why my daughter was not listed as next of kin. The girlfriend stormed out cussing. My daughter has said her goodbyes and left a card for her dad if he ever wakes up. She will return once her dad is able to speak to her. She can't face being stuck in a room surrounded by monitors bleeping and all the time this woman is there making it obvious my daughter is not welcome. A cynical person might think she's after his money and I think they'd be right. More fool him for boasting about a retirement nest egg. I can't see how he has any cash stashed away as he's long since drunk it all. Time will tell though.

Just catching up on this thread - and getting up to speed with your nightmare. That sounds horrible; best wishes.

On 4/21/2017 at 01:38, WednesdayAddams said:

Please contact a lawyer. Also Hopefully your x-husband has a will - and if so, Hopefully it is not a ´new´ Will leaving this woman everything. Beware of ´quick-deeding´, of property. This has been used to cheat people out of their inheritances.

If your daughter does not have money, is there something like legal aid where you live? Some unions offer free lawyer advice (usually one visit a year.) Good luck to you both.

Look-up SWEET-HEART scam. Sounds like that might be going on too.

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 00:47, Shaun of the Dead said:

Thoughts are with you and your daughter Wednesday Addams.How old is he?

Sorry been away for a few days. The doctor gave me a couple of weeks of pills to help me sleep, which had made everything into a lovely pinkish blur and nothing can upset me. lol He's 62. 63 in a couple of weeks.

He is still lingering. We are told he now has a double pneumothorax and pneumonia. Not sure what else can possibly go wrong with him as he seems to have the full list now. He's now been in a medical coma 16 days. Twice they have tried to rouse him but had to stop and put him back under due to complications. They aren't yet planning more attempts due to the new problems with his lungs.

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 21:36, theoldlady said:

Please contact a lawyer. Also Hopefully your x-husband has a will - and if so, Hopefully it is not a ´new´ Will leaving this woman everything. Beware of ´quick-deeding´, of property. This has been used to cheat people out of their inheritances.

If your daughter does not have money, is there something like legal aid where you live? Some unions offer free lawyer advice (usually one visit a year.) Good luck to you both.

Look-up SWEET-HEART scam. Sounds like that might be going on too.

We are hoping their isn't a Will because if there isn't, his entire estate goes to my daughter. We have no idea whether he has money of course, but if he has this woman can't claim a thing. They weren't married. There's no property involved but there may be investment accounts. We shall see. At least she is passing on all information and developments so for now we are being nice. We do have no win/no fee lawyers over here but we shouldn't need them unless she's conned him into writing an unreasonable Will.

• Like 1

My aunt Joann (mother's brother's wife) passed away April 24.  She was the last aunt/uncle around from my mother's side of the tree.  Last time I saw her was about 6 years ago, and she pretended to know who I was.....Alzheimer's took over her brain about 8 years ago.  She remained in decent health despite the deteriorating mental faculties, and made it to 88 yrs old.

SirC

Condolences SC.

Yes, my condolences as well.

Condolences.

Not a death in my family, but the death of one of my friends 10 year old son from meningitis . Life can really be a bitch sometimes. 

7 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Not a death in my family, but the death of one of my friends 10 year old son from meningitis . Life can really be a bitch sometimes. 

Cruel whenever someone doesn't even get a chance.

Condolences to your friend. Those truly are rough circumstances. :(

Condolences. Hope everything gets better. :( 

Condolences to your friend. That's rough.

3 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Poor little lad - condolences to you Paul and his family.

Awful news, condolences to you and your friends family, life can be so cruel and unfair, a 10 year old should have there whole life in front of them with all there adventures, loves and happy memories to come, so not to be able to experience these things makes it all the more painful. RIP. 

So sad to hear this Paul.There is never any justice in this world.:/

Very sorry to hear that, thoughts with your friend :( 

I can't think of anything worse than the loss of a growing child. I just can't. I pass along that sentiment and pray the family finds peace and sanity.

SC

Just found out, through my sister, that one of my mother's dearest and closest friends died 2 days ago (age 89).  She was originally from Canada but ended up in the Detroit area.  She still lived in the old neighbourhood.  I was friends with her kids but they were both quite aloof and no contact was maintained over the years.  In any case, a very charming, outgoing, and funny woman, like my mother, and no doubt why the two of them got along so well.  They would nip the sarsaparilla once in a while and were funnier still.  She was also the first Avon lady I ever heard of, had she played her cards more aggressively she'd have had one hell of a downline.
Anyway, just passing it on.  No condolences necessary, as it isn't family per se, though I am quite saddened to hear the news.

Sir C

Sorry for your loss Creep. :( 

• Like 1

My great-aunt died recently. To a lot of people, a great-aunt is a relatively tenuous link to oneself, but she, an independent woman for nearly 20 years after having to see her husband's and son's deaths in quick succession, stepped into the daunting shoes as the perceived "head of the family" after my nan died 5 years ago. Her family was her nieces and nephews (which kind of perplexed all the hospital staff during her week in hospital), but we all saw her as a guiding light, a surrogate nan/mum, a confidante and just the biggest diamond of a person one could possibly imagine.

She had a sense of humour so wicked we'd be reduced to tears at her skewed, passionate, rather profane life-reviewing ramblings. If one didn't know her and heard her in full swing, one wouldn't think she was the kind, caring, most insightful lady she was. Me and two of my cousins (she dubbed us 'The Three Amigos') would go round hers at least once a week and we'd end up with tears streaming down our guffawing faces. You could talk to her like she was your mate, this widow in her 70s. And yet, talk to her on her own and she was such a source of comfort, a confidante, a sounding board, a source of worldly advice. She helped me through bouts of major depression with her insight. Despite being so strong, she knew what vulnerability and deep unhappiness could do to a person. She was a saviour, really.

She was impossibly stubborn, and stubborn in her defence that she wasn't stubborn. She always had the odd health problem or twelve, though at least eleven of those left even the greatest minds in the doctor profession dumbfounded. Everything had to be different from normal, unique, her own personal way, whether it be her health or literally any other goings on in her life. Nothing was conventional. But her idiosyncrasies made her who she was and I just adored her, to the point where, despite being born 52 years later, my obdurate, whimsical nature is kind of modelled on hers and I miss her.

This is just me typing it down somewhere for (somehow) my own benefit, so don't feel you need to piss ball about writing a sorry for your loss etc. Besides, she wouldn't want the fucking fuss.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

What a tribute. Sometimes people do have families that mean everything...

• Like 1

Just found out my ex has been found dead. Only 30.

I'll be available when I can.

• Sad 5

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Just found out my ex has been found dead. Only 30.

I'll be available when I can.

Sorry to hear that, old chap. Take care.

• Like 1