Magere Hein

Death In The Family

10 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Funerals always end up tougher than the news...it's the realisation they are there and yet not I feel....

My best...

Thank you. I'm 44 years old and I'm laid in bed blubbing like a child. 

Take care, LB. Funerals are never much fun.

Everyone reacts different to the finality of it but there's nothing wrong with emotional reactions. Not at all. I was fairly crisis-level composed when my grandad (my great hero) died many years ago, looking after his kids and my gran and mum and making sure everyone had copious amounts of tea at hand. Then at the bloody funeral it just sort of hits you. That's life. Doesn't take away or negate all the fun, or funny times.

• Like 1

Bet your granddad was something special young Lardy.  Have a good blub and then up and raise some mischief on his behalf!

• Like 2

They're cremating the ex right now.

Have to admit I couldn't face going. Think I'll go for a drink in town shortly. Raise a glass and all that...

• Sad 2

On 10/3/2017 at 15:48, Lard Bazaar said:

It was my Grandad's funeral today. Much tougher day than I anticipated. He chose to go off to Enjoy Yourself by Doris Day and Wake Me Up Before You Go Go by Wham.  An old joker till the end. My eyes are sore :(

He does sound like a humourous man.  Sorry to hear he's gone.  Peace.

SC

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

He does sound like a humourous man.  Sorry to hear he's gone.  Peace.

SC

Thank you.  My auntie picked up his ashes today, she strapped the big tub they come in safely in the passenger seat with the seatbelt, which my dad said was appropriate because Grandad was always a very nervous passenger. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

They're cremating the ex right now.

Have to admit I couldn't face going. Think I'll go for a drink in town shortly. Raise a glass and all that...

Hope you're OK, YW.

Do you know what caused his death?

56 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Thank you.  My auntie picked up his ashes today, she strapped the big tub they come in safely in the passenger seat with the seatbelt, which my dad said was appropriate because Grandad was always a very nervous passenger. 

My Mum has my Dads ashes.

I will never be able to look at that fucking urn.

Biggest fight I ever had with my biological father was over my grandmother's ashes. He kept them in his closet behind his Hot Wheels collection. 

7 hours ago, Toast said:

Hope you're OK, YW.

Do you know what caused his death?

It's all very strange.

He'd been for an op, sent home, sick for a few days and...

The family say the post mortem came back "unascertained" but if that's the case, why was the body released?

Anyway, we had a reminisce and raised a glass or two, chicken supper and home.

No details as yet but another friend has died, again younger than me.

Wtf is going on?

• Sad 2

Oh no, what shitty news, Willz.

• Like 1

Condolences. Losing two people you love in one year is definitely a shitty feeling to have. :( 

• Like 1

On the plus side, you're doing well in comparison, so 'win'.

• Haha 1

Sorry to hear that YW.

• Like 1

I guess we all go through periods like this....

November funerals are invariably cold...except for the guest of honour of course...

• Sad 1

Yes, very sorry to hear...

• Like 1

Hey friends, how ya doin'?

So, this isn't family but more friends (or, let's say family in the bowling community - i'll explain where that comes in)

I bowl in a youth league (I'm 16, turning 17 in February). This is my 7th year doing it. I actually bowled 5-pin first for 4 years (FYI, 5-pin is a massively popular type of bowling here in Canada) then switched to 10-pin. It is such a great sport and very fun to meet people in too. My first 10-pin coach, Richard, passed away of cancer on October 28th. I think his family told me it was brain cancer. Anyways, that was a very sad night when I heard that. Now, just tonight, I heard that another one of the coaches for our league, who I will not name but give her an alternate name, Leah, has been diagnosed with breast cancer and is undergoing chemo. So, some sad news there for our bowling community. Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope you all have a great day/night.

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 17:00, YoungWillz said:

I guess we all go through periods like this....

November funerals are invariably cold...except for the guest of honour of course...

YW so sorry to hear of your losses - it does seem wretchedly cyclical.

Here's to better times :champagne:

• Like 2

Just now, Youwanticewiththat said:

YW so sorry to hear of your losses - it does seem wretchedly cyclical.

Here's to better times :champagne:

Dear goodness why, on posting that emoticon did I think of LFN?   Bloody Pavlov.

• Haha 1

I haven't suffered any bereavments but I have just heard that a lifelong friend took his own life today after losing disability benefits under the govts 'fit for work' tests. He had multiple sclerosis and liver cancer but was told he was deemed fit for work. It's really devastated me.He was always so cheerful and full of life. and tried to overcome the odds.This was clearly one burden too much for him.

• Sad 3
  • Angry 1

Just now, CoffinLodger said:

I haven't suffered any bereavments but I have just heard that a lifelong friend took his own life today after losing disability benefits under the govts 'fit for work' tests. He had multiple sclerosis and liver cancer.It's really devastated me.

I am so sorry to read your post CL - shocking and understandingly devastating.

Yeah, unfortunately life can be a huge bitch to certain people and there’s nothing you can do about, which is a huge shame. You have my condolences.