Magere Hein

Death In The Family

3 hours ago, Exu said:

My mother in law has recently been diagnosed with lung cancer ( she’s 80 and has had a 20 a day habit for 65 years so she’s done OK) and has secondary brain cancer. She had a dose of radiotherapy on Friday as part of her palliative care plan. The medics aren’t being very forthcoming about the prognosis and I feel a bit awkward about asking. The situation is weird as nobody seems to know whether we are talking about weeks, months or even a couple of years. She is on a decent dose of steroids and her speech is very slurred. She is heavily fixating on trivia, especially her forthcoming birthday bash next weekend, and is bollocking all and sundry for basic day to day errors such as buying the wrong flavour jam. I don’t whether this is as a result of fear, a need to cling onto some semblance of normality or whether she is losing her marbles. The whole situation is stressful for everyone due to uncertainty, a lack of information and her general behaviour. This seems bad to say, but I hope this doesn’t go on for too long as it is driving everybody nuts.

Sorry to hear Ex.  Treat her with as much love as you can.  That's really the most important advice I can give.

• Like 1

So bit of a weird day at work.

Turns out a Work colleagues husband died at his place of work yesterday. By twist of fate a friend of mine was in the factory when it happened so I knew perhaps before a lot. I sadly know the true actions behind this death (pretty gruesome when a 4.5 ton load is involved) so bit my tongue a bit when the stories started but my mate, a bloody good block who could deal with most things is in fucking pieces.

Whilst I’m not good friends with this work colleague (far from it tbh) and I met her husband once- it’s a kick one of us we all limp feeling at work. 

Life does change in the blink of an eye. 

32 minutes ago, philheybrookbay said:

So bit of a weird day at work.

Turns out a Work colleagues husband died at his place of work yesterday. By twist of fate a friend of mine was in the factory when it happened so I knew perhaps before a lot. I sadly know the true actions behind this death (pretty gruesome when a 4.5 ton load is involved) so bit my tongue a bit when the stories started but my mate, a bloody good block who could deal with most things is in fucking pieces.

Whilst I’m not good friends with this work colleague (far from it tbh) and I met her husband once- it’s a kick one of us we all limp feeling at work. 

Life does change in the blink of an eye. 

I was on days off and received a call from a friend on the oil rig 'Sir Creep, you need to get out here and relieve Billy-Joe-JimBob*, he is having a stroke'.
So I called my office and said if I was needed I'm ready to go.  They reply why would you be needed?  I said Billy Joe JimBob is having a stroke, don't you know?
Two hours later my office calls and says go relieve Billy Joe JimBob.
SC

*name changed to protect the innocent.

38 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I was on days off and received a call from a friend on the oil rig 'Sir Creep, you need to get out here and relieve Billy-Joe-JimBob*, he is having a stroke'.
So I called my office and said if I was needed I'm ready to go.  They reply why would you be needed?  I said Billy Joe JimBob is having a stroke, don't you know?
Two hours later my office calls and says go relieve Billy Joe JimBob.
SC

*name changed to protect the innocent.

That may mean something completely different here.

*all American men from the deep south are called  Billy Joe, Jim Bob. :D

6 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Indeed, I remember all those Michael Jackson jokes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

*all American men from the deep south are called  Billy Joe, Jim Bob. :D

I figured if I said I changed his name it would create doubt.

Soooo.. first time in this thread.

My grandma on my dad's side has been diagnosed with lung cancer which has metastasized to her brain and liver. Not very shocking I'll admit since my whole dad's side except for my grandpa are heavy smokers and some drinkers too. Don't really know what else to say so I'll just leave it there.

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, FixedBusiness said:

My grandma on my dad's side has been diagnosed with lung cancer which has metastasized to her brain and liver. Not very shocking I'll admit since my whole dad's side except for my grandpa are heavy smokers and some drinkers too. Don't really know what else to say so I'll just leave it there.

Sorry to hear FB.

Make the best of the time she is here. Thoughts with you....

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, FixedBusiness said:

I am very sorry for you and your family.

All the best for your grandma!

• Thanks 1

My old best best BEST friend growing up announced on FB that he has some sort of congestive heart failure or heart disease that is incurable and that he has a few weeks to live.
We were pretty inseparable in our teens and early twenties.  Sadly, he became a right wing Nazi tyrant on FB the past decade and simply not a person I liked, so I let it our relationship go, he simply was no longer the person I grew up with.  In any case, it's kinda crazy, him posting on FB about the end is near, his wife posting similar stuff so it isn't a joke, he probably has less than a month.
SirC 

• Sad 3

Hey FixedBusiness sorry to hear about grandma.  I know the old stalwarts and their lifestyles from back then.  All that generation was like that, why would they know any better?   

12 hours ago, FixedBusiness said:

I know how you feel my moms mom is undergoing tests right now to see whether she has lung cancer or emphysema. I'd urge you strongly to spend more time with your Gran. Also this may be a bit of a difficult question but how long have the doctors given her to live?

31 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

My old best best BEST friend growing up announced on FB that he has some sort of congestive heart failure or heart disease that is incurable and that he has a few weeks to live.
We were pretty inseparable in our teens and early twenties.  Sadly, he became a right wing Nazi tyrant on FB the past decade and simply not a person I liked, so I let it our relationship go, he simply was no longer the person I grew up with.  In any case, it's kinda crazy, him posting on FB about the end is near, his wife posting similar stuff so it isn't a joke, he probably has less than a month.
SirC 

You should visit him and put that stuff behind you. I am sure he'd appreciate it if his old best friend came to visit him in his final hours. They not to bring up his Facebook behavior but rather think back on all the fun you two once had.

17 minutes ago, The Mad Hatter said:

You should visit him and put that stuff behind you. I am sure he'd appreciate it if his old best friend came to visit him in his final hours. They not to bring up his Facebook behavior but rather think back on all the fun you two once had.

Well we are distant by miles so that can't happen or I would.  And no I'm not petty, I carry no grudge, we have lots of hilarious stories of tomfoolery and hijinx for a decade or more.
Thanks for the input MH.

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Hey FixedBusiness sorry to hear about grandma.  I know the old stalwarts and their lifestyles from back then.  All that generation was like that, why would they know any better?   

Thanks SC. I really don't know but hey, I'm just a stupid 2000s kid :wub:

4 hours ago, The Mad Hatter said:

I know how you feel my moms mom is undergoing tests right now to see whether she has lung cancer or emphysema. I'd urge you strongly to spend more time with your Gran. Also this may be a bit of a difficult question but how long have the doctors given her to live?

Hey MH thanks for the strong love. I don't know how long they've given her unfortunately. I'll be visiting with her every couple of days with my family, the thing being the hospital is at the other end of the city but I think it's worth it.

Thanks everybody else for the support too xx

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, FixedBusiness said:

Thanks SC. I really don't know but hey, I'm just a stupid 2000s kid :wub:

Hey MH thanks for the strong love. I don't know how long they've given her unfortunately. I'll be visiting with her every couple of days with my family, the thing being the hospital is at the other end of the city but I think it's worth it.

Thanks everybody else for the support too xx

Thats good to hear hopefully she'll appreciate it.

8 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

SirC 

1. Update:
This is from Tim.... So Long Friends!

This is not a "get better" scenario.

This is a die in the next week or two, or if they find a magic medicine, die with a month or three.

There is *NO* chance of recovery!

I appreciate all of your friendship and love.

--Tim

2. Update on Tim G:

Good Morning everyone, This is Rue (his wife) - Update, Tim will be getting dialysis to give him some time to see and talk with friends. His heart is failing rapidly. Maybe a couple of weeks or so. Thank you for all your comments I read everyone one of them to him.

Those are from yesterday and today.
54 years old, isn't this bullshit?  Fuck.

SC
(PS: He played in my DP a couple years, he'd be happy to know he's forever mentioned on this site).

Sorry to hear your bad news, both of you.  It's never easy.

And so my friend succumbed to his bad ticker in the early hours today, 8-18-2018, age 53.

• Sad 7

Sorry to hear that, SC.

Sorry to hear about the death of your old buddy. Even with your eventual distance it sounds like you have a lot of fond memories to look back on.

On 29 July 2018 at 11:05, Paul Bearer said:

Not family, but a family friend. Got the news last night a neighbour has the big 'C'. She survived a breast cancer scare, but  say it's now in her liver, kidneys and back.  They've given her a month. :(

Visited her in hospital last week, amazingly upbeat about the whole thing. Went to see her at home yesterday,  can't believe how quickly she's gone downhill.  

• Sad 6

19 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Visited her in hospital last week, amazingly upbeat about the whole thing. Went to see her at home yesterday,  can't believe how quickly she's gone downhill.  

And now gone. R.I.P Betty. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 11

8 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

And now gone. R.I.P Betty. 

Sad to hear Paul but at least she went extremely quick rather than lingering  for months like alot of cases. I doubt she was in much pain.

• Like 1

My Mum has had a pulmonary oedema following on from a heart attack which I learned about at work this morning at 10am . Spent most of the day in resus in A and E. She’s on a ventilator now.

My Dad and I are broken tonight. Just shattered. I pray my mobile doesn’t go off in the night as they (god nurses are fucking angels) said go home. Yesterday was their 49th wedding anniversary. Nothing looked wrong.

life turns in the blink of an eye. 

• Sad 13

Aw Phil, what a shock.  Thoughts are with you and your Mum and Dad.