Magere Hein

Death In The Family

My Auntie died yesterday aged 92. She has been fading for a number of years and did not recognize her own sons by the end. I was surprised she outlasted my Dad who died last year. But on that side of our family she was the last of that generation.

• Sad 9

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

My Auntie died yesterday aged 92. She has been fading for a number of years and did not recognize her own sons by the end. I was surprised she outlasted my Dad who died last year. But on that side of our family she was the last of that generation.

Aww Biblio, been there with the grandfolks, sometimes when there's no longer any recognition of family, it's a release. However, never a good occasion especially when the last of the generation. Thoughts with you and yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The end of an era family-wise is especially sad. My most sincere condolences, Biblio. Take it easy.

• Thanks 1

Sorry for your loss Bilbilo, always sad when the last member of a generation dies, thoughts are with you and your family. My Grandmas is the same age as your Auntie was and although for her age she is in pretty good health at 92 anything can happen dreading the day she goes. RIP to your Auntie

• Thanks 1

Sorry for your loss, Biblio.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

That's a terrible way to go Bib.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your aunt, Biblio

• Thanks 1

Aye, sorry to hear of your loss, Biblio.

• Thanks 1

On 24/02/2020 at 11:11, Bibliogryphon said:

My great great aunt died back almost 2 years ago. She was the last of her generation in that side of the family, which is a massive shame as I am fascinated with ancestry and I knew there was a lot she could've told me about my ancestors.

Back in 2009, my great great great aunt died at the age of 105. Same as my great x2 aunt, there was so much she could've told me about my family history.

Sorry to hear about your loss Bib.

• Like 1

On 24/02/2020 at 11:11, Bibliogryphon said:

My wife has just told me know that her Auntie has died as well. She would only be in her early eighties at most but had been in poor health but this was not expected.

Her family are much younger than the corresponding relations on my side because I am the youngest child of an older parent (my Dad was 40 when I was born)

Not a good time.

• Sad 10

Widow of my dad's cousin (he died after suffering injuries in a car crash in 2014, just like his son in 2011, his father, my grandpa's brother, died of natural causes in 2017) has died at about 60 of pneumonia (not COVID-19)tonight. She had a pre-existing blood condition. And I'm turning 20 this year. And my parents are 52. My maternal grandpa died of carbon monoxide poisoning while repairing his car in 2004 at 71 (17.12.1932-18.10.2004) . My sister's twin was 7 months young, when she died of cirrhosis (she was born without a gallbladder) (14.09.2007-22.04.2008). My paternal grandma died of a blood clot at 81 (26.06.1928-23.02.2010). My paternal grandpa died after 11-year-long battle with prostate and bowel cancer at 84 (13.09.1931-19.01.2016). And my maternal grandma has died of diabetes, pancreatitis and dementia at 83 (14.09.1932-26.04.2016). 

Sorry for your series of losses Etush

Oh Biblio, terrible news. Thoughts with your folks and many condolences.

This virus has robbed me of someone I know, although elderly and suffering from advanced dementia, so she'd probably have gone this year anyway.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Oh Biblio, terrible news. Thoughts with your folks and many condolences.

This virus has robbed me of someone I know, although elderly and suffering from advanced dementia, so she'd probably have gone this year anyway.

It is quite upsetting for my father in law. Since February he has lost two siblings and a niece (the niece was the daughter of one of the siblings he lost).

• Sad 2

On 25/02/2020 at 20:45, Bibliogryphon said:

Her family are much younger than the corresponding relations on my side because I am the youngest child of an older parent (my Dad was 40 when I was born)

It's funny how what constitutes an "older parent" has changed in the last few decades. nowadays 40 is only a bit above average.

Anyway, just to add that I found out a distant relation died of the Corona - I think it's my dad's first cousin, although I had never actually heard of her before.

12 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

It's funny how what constitutes an "older parent" has changed in the last few decades. nowadays 40 is only a bit above average.

Not in the hospitals. Mrs msc was marked as a mature parent when the wean was born and she was 30 at the time.

I asked if that made me an immature parent. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, msc said:

Not in the hospitals. Mrs msc was marked as a mature parent when the wean was born and she was 30 at the time.

I asked if that made me an immature parent. :D

It was quite strange when our daughter was at school.

I was 26 when she was born.

We were in small island of parents mostly of whom were on their second or third and then there were the late starters and the early starters who made up the majority in our town

• Like 1

My dad died in the early hours of this morning. It was expected, he'd been ill a long time and he reached a good age. He would have turned 91 in June.  I know I have been incredibly lucky to have had my dad around for as long as I have especially as he is another older dad, he was 47 when I was born, but this doesn't diminish the sense of loss and sadness although it hasn't fully hit me yet.

Condolences to all of those going through the same thing. 

• Sad 23

So sorry, Handy, and particularly as you won't be able to give him an appropriate send-off in the current situation.

The hard thing about people living to a great age is that you kind of expect them always to be there, because they always have been.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Toast said:

So sorry, Handy, and particularly as you won't be able to give him an appropriate send-off in the current situation.

The hard thing about people living to a great age is that you kind of expect them always to be there, because they always have been.

Thanks Toast and everyone. That last bit is true. To be honest I always thought my mum would go first even though she is a decade younger as she always had more health problems  

29 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

My dad died in the early hours of this morning. It was expected, he'd been ill a long time and he reached a good age. He would have turned 91 in June.  I know I have been incredibly lucky to have had my dad around for as long as I have especially as he is another older dad, he was 47 when I was born, but this doesn't diminish the sense of loss and sadness although it hasn't fully hit me yet.

Condolences to all of those going through the same thing. 

Sorry to read about your loss Handrejka. 

• Thanks 1