Magere Hein

Death In The Family

18 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

With much sympathy. But it does have the  ring of Tom Lehrer. 

Yes, he loved his mother like no other
His daughter was his sister and his son was his brother
One thing on which you can depend is
He sure knew who a boy's best friend is

WTF?  Totally uncalled for.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

WTF?  Totally uncalled for.

Yes. You are so right. Sorry. Cannot keep a straight face. Read what you sent out.

There is no such thing as ‘technically still married’.  

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

There is no such thing as ‘technically still married’.  

Estranged but not divorced.

They were not living as Man and Wife for a considerable time before his death sufficient for an uncontested divorce to be granted if either had requested one but they did not so she is still his wife

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Estranged but not divorced.

They were not living as Man and Wife for a considerable time before his death sufficient for an uncontested divorce to be granted if either had requested one but they did not so she is still his wife

Something similar has happened to one of my grandparents. Haven’t seen each other in a long time, but never divorced so they are technically still married. 

• Like 1

You may not see me post on here as much as usual for the forseeable future.The reason is that my only brother   died of a massive heart attack on sunday. It was totally unexpected, and  something I don't know if I will ever come to terms with. Please forgive me if I give the forum a miss for a while to come while I try to come to terms with my loss. It just doesn't seem right to speculate on celebrities deaths right now when I know how real it feels when someone close to you dies. 

• Sad 9

2 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

You may not see me post on here as much as usual for the forseeable future.The reason is that my only brother  John died of a massive heart attack on sunday. It was totally unexpected, and  something I don't know if I will ever come to terms with. Please forgive me if I give the forum a miss for a while to come while I try to come to terms with my loss. It just doesn't seem right to speculate on celebrities deaths right now when I know how real it feels when someone close to you dies. 

I for one enjoy your forays on here and look forward to having you back when you are up to it.

Thoughts with you and yours....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

I for one enjoy your forays on here and look forward to having you back when you are up to it.

Thoughts with you and yours....

Thank you.I'll be honest I was never that close to him, in fact we were like strangers for most of our lives, but it is still a shock when you realise  you will never see them again. I have been torturing myself the past few days with wondering what I should have said to him while I stilll had the chance, to try and make amends with him, but now it's too late. I can only urge you all not to make the same mistake I did.

On 15/09/2020 at 22:25, CoffinLodger said:

You may not see me post on here as much as usual for the forseeable future.The reason is that my only brother   died of a massive heart attack on sunday. It was totally unexpected, and  something I don't know if I will ever come to terms with. Please forgive me if I give the forum a miss for a while to come while I try to come to terms with my loss. It just doesn't seem right to speculate on celebrities deaths right now when I know how real it feels when someone close to you dies. 

So sorry to hear that.

Take your time, do what you need to do but don't torture yourself over paths not taken.

Something like this is always hard.

• Like 1

Idk og this is the right place post, but my parents decided last month to divorce after being together in 21 years and married for 11 years. I was expecting that it would happen, but at the same time it came si fast. And sitter og them can afford to live in the house we live in now so me and my dad will move to out own house, and my mom and my two littlesister in another place. My youngest sister will probably be 50/50 to my parents since she is just 13, and my older younger sister is 17 and I am 19. Luckily my parents are still good friends and helped each other to move things to both houses. I am glad that they are good friends still, but It's not gonna be the same since they have been together since they booth was 20 years, and now they booth are 41 and I have lived with them my whole life so.

• Sad 2

I received news this evening that a former nemesis of mine died on Tuesday. She was a nemesis because she cost me my job nearly 6 years ago.

Fast forward a few years and I’m back in the post she cost me and she was virtually banned from the company. The tables turned. I believe some people call it karma. 

We did to some extent make our peace before she died. She had been ill for sometime and I took the opportunity to speak with her after a chance meeting a couple of years back

Thus as she goes to her grave, there are no hard feelings on my part. 

8 hours ago, Windsor said:

I received news this evening that a former nemesis of mine died on Tuesday. She was a nemesis because she cost me my job nearly 6 years ago.

Fast forward a few years and I’m back in the post she cost me and she was virtually banned from the company. The tables turned. I believe some people call it karma. 

We did to some extent make our peace before she died. She had been ill for sometime and I took the opportunity to speak with her after a chance meeting a couple of years back

Thus as she goes to her grave, there are no hard feelings on my part. 

Good, and you'll feel the better for it too. Jobs are not worth getting hung up about, relationships with your fellow humans are more important. Whether they're a cunt or not :)

Mother in law died yesterday aged 68, a miracle she lived as long as she did to be fair as she has been on her ‘last legs’ since about 2010 when she had cancer the first time, cancer took her in the end almost certainly brought on by her decades of alcoholism which she almost died of several times, she was told time and again she needed to stop drinking but she never listened or tried to stop. Sad she died but she could of prevented it or at least tried . 

• Sad 8

My Mother-in-law died suddenly yesterday aged 78. Bit of a shock really.

• Sad 16

My wife's cousin just died in childbirth at the age of 29. The child survived. I can't even process it. I met her first in 2009, saw her little family grow. 2 kids now and a lovely husband. Apparently she just didn't stop bleeding, I don't know in more detail what happened.

• Sad 12
  • Shocked 1

My step mother-in-law passed away yesterday evening at the age of 74. My wife, kids and I went to visit her early evening. She passed away a couple of hours later. She had been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer almost a year ago and towards the end of May decided to cease her chemotherapy. She was lucid enough to be able to tell my kids that she loved them. 

• Sad 14

2 minutes ago, Phantom said:

My step mother-in-law passed away yesterday evening at the age of 74. My wife, kids and I went to visit her a couple of hours earlier. She passed away a couple of hours later. She had been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer almost a year ago and towards the end of May decided to cease her chemotherapy. She was lucid enough to be able to tell my kids that she loved them. 

Sorry to hear of your family's loss. Best wishes.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Phantom said:

My step mother-in-law passed away yesterday evening at the age of 74. My wife, kids and I went to visit her a couple of hours earlier. She passed away a couple of hours later. She had been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer almost a year ago and towards the end of May decided to cease her chemotherapy. She was lucid enough to be able to tell my kids that she loved them. 

Condolences to you and yours at this difficult time.

• Like 2

Sometimes, grandparents die before we're born. Which is a sod. But nature and families abhor a vacuum. Someone else fills the grandparent role. An older sister of your deceased gran. Your gran in all but name. She'll look after you from your first breath. Help raise you. Encourage you. Become a friend as much as a relative as you get older and become a parent. They will still be trying to protect you with sage advice about a pandemic, even as their own health declines. A pillar of the family, of life, ever present. Always a phone call away or a visit away, no matter your troubles, or just to say hi. 

It was her funeral this week. She lived a long, long life. Older than Bush Sr, not quite Jimmy Carter. My heart is immeasurably besieged by grief, though I'm aware that's just because we really, really loved her. And that, if she wasn't dead, she'd have the perfect words ready to get the rest of us through this event.

• Sad 13

4 minutes ago, msc said:

Sometimes, grandparents die before we're born. Which is a sod. But nature and families abhor a vacuum. Someone else fills the grandparent role. An older sister of your deceased gran. Your gran in all but name. She'll look after you from your first breath. Help raise you. Encourage you. Become a friend as much as a relative as you get older and become a parent. They will still be trying to protect you with sage advice about a pandemic, even as their own health declines. A pillar of the family, of life, ever present. Always a phone call away or a visit away, no matter your troubles, or just to say hi. 

It was her funeral this week. She lived a long, long life. Older than Bush Sr, not quite Jimmy Carter. My heart is immeasurably besieged by grief, though I'm aware that's just because we really, really loved her. And that, if she wasn't dead, she'd have the perfect words ready to get the rest of us through this event.

Strengthening vibes being sent from here to you and yours. Sounds like a worthwhile life well lived and an example to generations after.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, msc said:

UnDeathlisty hug to you.

When you have someone for so long, it feels like an outrage when they are no longer there.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, msc said:

I’m very sorry to hear of your loss. I felt your words a lot; I had exactly the same sort of relationship with my nan’s sister too. We promised my nan before she died, as a family, that we’d look after her sister, but in truth, she looked after us, just by being there, being the glue, fulfilling the matriarchal role. She was probably the person I confided in the most, and her no-nonsense yet wise and empathetic takes were always just what I needed. Your great-aunt sounds equally amazing, like she played exactly the same role in your life. She will still pop into your head every time you feel you need her. Five years on I still laugh or nod sometimes imagining what my great-aunt would say in any tricky situation.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, msc said:

I'm really sorry to hear your loss msc!

Best wishes for you and your loved ones! Hopely since now your family getting stronger and unite.

• Thanks 1

I have no grandparents left now.

The final two were married for 63 years and only spent 6 weeks apart.

They went the 'ideal' way. All of their many children outlived them, watched them grow up and some retire. Hell, my grandad was 6'2" at 93 and had a full head of hair the last time I saw him at my gran's funeral. He got up to make himself a cup of tea this morning, and now he's dead. Not bad.

They were some of the loveliest people you could ever wish to meet, and I'm not saying that because they were old and cute. Some elderly people are complete cunts. My gran had such a warm aura. She famously never locked the door unless she was out or asleep (I guess it's safe to reveal this now!). I definitely took advantage of this, living round the corner. Any time I was considering dropping out or just generally nihilistic, I knew she would be there. I knew that she would have a cuppa and a homemade bun at the ready, and that she would get it.

My grandad was a right jokester. It was incredible how he could reliably troll my gran after so many years of being inseparable. And he lived like every day was his last, even if it meant some of his antics scared us (climbing on the roof?!?!). They never had much money but they were rich in more important ways, so to speak.

My gran's funeral was attended by at least 250 people. It was incredible how many people in the chapel were greeting uncontrollably, over a wee old lady you would never have suspected touched so many lives. Also, the reception was a complete blast and we all got steaming. Don't know if I'm ready for my grandad's. I have no doubt he will also get the send-off he deserves.

• Like 3
  • Sad 11