VSBfromH

Vagrants, Tramps, Homeless Eccentrics And Hermits

1 minute ago, Death Impends said:

Yeah, movie based on his life, he'd have been fine.

List of the Missed then, probably already done if I know DI.

• Like 1

Just now, YoungWillz said:

List of the Missed then, probably already done if I know DI.

Heh I put him on the LotM right before making my previous post ;)

• Haha 1

On 15/01/2016 at 15:07, DevonDeathTrip said:

Noted Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova, 71, the last surviving member of the reclusive Lykov family, has been evacuated by helicopter from her home in the wilderness in order to receive medical treatment.

Vice produced a documentary about Lykova a couple of years ago. She didn't meet anyone from outside her immediate family until she was over thirty years old.

I looked up to see how she was doing, and this was the only post on her.
Agafya Lykova is now 77, and 2 years ago was gifted with a new cabin: https://explorersweb.com/siberian-survivors-new-home/
This article from 2019 contains some more information about her, plus some good photos: https://siberiantimes.com/other/others/features/siberian-hermit-75-who-lives-in-18th-century-refuses-to-be-moved-by-space-age/

Healthwise, she had a lump on her breast in 2014, and went to the hospital for leg pain in 2016 which was attributed to cartilage deterioration.
I wonder with the war if anyone has checked on her lately.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, lilham said:

I looked up to see how she was doing, and this was the only post on her.
Agafya Lykova is now 77, and 2 years ago was gifted with a new cabin: https://explorersweb.com/siberian-survivors-new-home/
This article from 2019 contains some more information about her, plus some good photos: https://siberiantimes.com/other/others/features/siberian-hermit-75-who-lives-in-18th-century-refuses-to-be-moved-by-space-age/

Healthwise, she had a lump on her breast in 2014, and went to the hospital for leg pain in 2016 which was attributed to cartilage deterioration.
I wonder with the war if anyone has checked on her lately.

I had forgotten about her too.  I thought the tail end of the documentary indicated they were bringing her to civilisation and that was that.  They were only to keep that hut as an historical piece and nothing more, ie they weren’t sending her back out there.  Again that was my understanding but heaven knows Sir Creep can be mistaken on a rare occasion.

10 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I had forgotten about her too.  I thought the tail end of the documentary indicated they were bringing her to civilisation and that was that.  They were only to keep that hut as an historical piece and nothing more, ie they weren’t sending her back out there.  Again that was my understanding but heaven knows Sir Creep can be mistaken on a rare occasion.

I think they tried that, but as of 2021, she has a whole new house bought by an oligarch. So she has many people who will support her hermit lifestyle. One of the articles talks about how they're very sensitive to her lack of immunity to diseases too. So with covid, that would be the death of her if she went into civilization. Her siblings died fairly quickly upon discovery (I think within 2 years): pneumonia and kidney ailments.

• Like 1