Lord Fellatio Nelson

Presenters

1 hour ago, time said:

Not dead yet, but Fred Dinenage is retiring from News presenting at Christmas. He's 79.

Absolute legend!

You can't say that about many broadcasters.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

14 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Absolute legend!

You can't say that about many broadcasters.

Yeah, according to the local paper his crime programme continues and a few other things including How! and a book already commissioned. 

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/fred-dinenage-to-leave-itv-meridian-255506/

• Like 2

While Fred was presenting Meridian tonight (and its predecessors), for many years his opposite number on BBC South Today was Bruce Parker, who has been mentioned previously on this site (over 9 years ago) in respect of his Antiques Roadshow days; Bruce is even older than Fred and, while not that deathlisty, will almost certainly attract obits.

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Let's not forget Fred's sterling work in Miss Anglia 1980:

I'll watch the rest of that later, but the introduction is hilarious with the expressions of the ladies!

Some younger members will be surprised to see that there was some diversity back in those wicked old days.

Dinenage is tabloid hack-meets-Partridge (if not quite at the Madeley level) and his crimeshows' lascivious faux-outrage narration, when he's clearly a Krays/Richardsons fanboy, is sickeningly hypocritical. I always root for the serial killers thanks to Fred, Yardley, Wansell and that creepy forensics Geordie bloke Stuart who looks like a fat Stephen Merchant and probably gets up to all sorts in the morgue. Sure I watch and even enjoy them, but let''s not forget that the Wests and the Shiptons put food on the tables of parasites like Dinenage.

In.

My.

Opinion.

And now, here's Derek Hobson with That's My Dog.

On 15/09/2021 at 15:17, JustPassingThrough said:

Update: Said "health issues" are apparently a breakthrough COVID case.

Update to the update: Apparently now suffering health problems related to Grave's disease/thyroid condition, which not only has delayed the return of her show from September to October but she won't be well enough to return with it.

Weather forecaster, journalist and presenter Ron Bendall, a legend of Westcountry TV, dead at 67. 

This is quite an advanced age given his reputed thirst.   He got into dreadful trouble in the early 90s for encouraging surfers to enter the sea during a hurricane.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 26/03/2015 at 14:09, time said:

Whilst ruminating on this thread and possible contenders, I chanced to rediscover the name Bob Wellings, formerly of That's Life. No idea how old he is (Google isn't my friend) but he must be getting on.

Bob Wellings popped up on that Dennis Nilsen programme tonight (archive footage); he's still alive and will be 88 later this year.

• Shocked 1

Big miss etc.

8 minutes ago, Imelda said:

He started and now he's finished. 

Wrong quiz show. Bamber's catchphrase was "Your starter for 10" or "I'll have to hurry you". I'll have to bury you?

A massive name from 70s TV gone. I wonder who'll be next: Parkinson, Yarwood, Connolly?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

Wrong quiz show. Bamber's catchphrase was "Your starter for 10" or "I'll have to hurry you". I'll have to bury you?

A massive name from 70s TV gone. I wonder who'll be next: Parkinson, Yarwood, Connolly?

Yes indeed, I got my Bambers and my Magnus' mixed-up.

No starter for 10 for me! 

Ironic as I actually appeared on the show, but during the Paxman era.

Yes, we lost!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Imelda said:

Yes indeed, I got my Bambers and my Magnus' mixed-up.

No starter for 10 for me! 

Ironic as I actually appeared on the show, but during the Paxman era.

Yes, we lost!

This will help you remember, a recent photo of Gascoigne before his untimely death.

Teletext's Bamboozle: 12 things you (probably) didn't know – Teletext Art

• Like 5

Goodness, I didn't realise he was still alive.  Who must I have been thinking of? 

A legend, regardless.  He seemed to look exactly the same throughout all the years he hosted University Challenge.  Ageless.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Toast said:

Goodness, I didn't realise he was still alive.  Who must I have been thinking of? 

His nephew, Paul? RIP Gazza. 

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Toast said:

A legend, regardless.  He seemed to look exactly the same throughout all the years he hosted University Challenge.  Ageless.

I thought I had a good handle on those still knocking around and in the wilderness (eg Roy Walker, Gordon Burns) but I also thought he was dead for some reason. I guess you just end up forgetting about some folk….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

This will help you remember, a recent photo of Gascoigne before his untimely death.

Loved that game -RIP Teletext!

1 hour ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Bamber Boozler is dead?! OMG

On 11/09/2021 at 08:35, JustPassingThrough said:

Wendy Williams won't be able to promote the next season of her show due to more "health issues," though a spokesperson says that she'll be back in time to do the actual show next Monday: https://deadline.com/2021/09/wendy-williams-health-issues-will-take-time-off-1234830989/

I will stop bumping the Rumours thread on this, as it is becoming much more solid.

Reports, though from some less reputable websites, saying the "Wendy Williams Show" has been cancelled due to the hosts health issues. I tend to believe these unconfirmed reports given everything else we have heard over the last few months. Time will tell.