RadGuy

20th Century Americans Sitcoms

I think 20th Century American Sitcom actors, directors, etc. should have their own thread.

Here are some possible candidates for the DL 2016, I have them on my personal list for 2015:

Bill Cosby (b. 1937), he starred in "The Cosby Show" (1984-1992).

Nanette Fabray (b. 1920), she starred in "One Day At A Time" (1974-1984).

George Gaynes (b. 1917), he starred in "Punky Brewster" (1984-1988).

Norman Lear (b. 1922), he created many sictoms, including "All in the Family" (1971-1979), "Good Times" (1974-1979) and "The Jeffersons" (1975-1985).

June Lockhart (b. 1925), she starred in "Petticoat Junction" (1963-1970).

Bill Macy (b. 1922), he starred in "Maude" (1972-1978).

Mary Tyler Moore (b. 1936), she starred in "The Dick Van Dyke Show" (1961-1966) and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" (1970-1977).

Carl Reiner (b. 1922), he wrote and starred in "The Dick Van Dyke Show" (1961-1966).

• Like 1

I think 20th Century American Sitcom actors, directors, etc. should have their own thread.

Here are some possible candidates for the DL 2016, I have them on my personal list for 2015:

Norman Lear (b. 1922), he created many sictoms, including "All in the Family" (1971-1979), "Good Times" (1974-1979) and "The Jeffersons" (1975-1985).

Mary Tyler Moore (b. 1936), she starred in "The Dick Van Dyke Show" (1961-1966) and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" (1970-1977).

Carl Reiner (b. 1922), he wrote and starred in "The Dick Van Dyke Show" (1961-1966).

You could add Charlotte Rae (family history of pancreatic cancer), Robert Guillaume (diabetic, past stroke), maybe Katherine Helmond (age). Abe Vigoda (Fish) has previously been mention round these parts.

You could add Charlotte Rae (family history of pancreatic cancer), Robert Guillaume (diabetic, past stroke), maybe Katherine Helmond (age). Abe Vigoda (Fish) has previously been mention round these parts.

Oh, yes, I was thinking about Charlotte Rae. I'm already writing a list of potential candidates for my personal list in 2016, and she's on it.

Doris Roberts from the Everybody Loves Raymond turns 90 this year

Ann Morgan Guilbert who played Yetta on The Nanny who has been working since the early 60's with parts on tv show in films almost every year has no credits or anything in production IMDB for 2015

Estelle Harris and Jerry Stiller who played George's parents on Seinfeld are in their late 80's

Although still in good health Norman Lloyd from St Elsewhere turns 101 this year

Another possibility, Marla Gibbs (b. 1931) who starred as the maid Florence on "The Jeffersons" (1975-1985).

She doesn't have any known health problems, but she looks incredibly frail and also, The Jeffersons cast members don't tend to live very long.

I am not that familiar with American Sitcoms but some of these names are really famous for other work.

Am I right in thinking that George Gaynes played the hopeless actor who always read the autocue in Tootsie?

I am not that familiar with American Sitcoms but some of these names are really famous for other work.

Am I right in thinking that George Gaynes played the hopeless actor who always read the autocue in Tootsie?

He was in Tootsie but I don't know if that was the role he played. Most people know him as Commondant Lassard from Police Academy.

https://youtu.be/GSiJiDSmb1E

Had a bit of a crush on Loni Anderson (WKRP) and I note she had a "tits off" opperation some time ago. Born 1945 or 1946 depending on which web site is referenced, clocking 70 in August... Not been working for a few years, I guess it's a full time job trying to look good all the time...

Conrad Janis (born 1928) and Bernard Fox (born 1927) are other possibilities. I think Janis still works but I haven't seen Fox do anything in a long time. Although known primarily for Buck Rogers, Tim O'Connor (born 1927) was in a couple of episodes of M*A*S*H and may be worth keeping an eye on.

Of the regular M*A*S*H cast, William Christopher, Jamie Farr and Wayne Rogers are all over 80 though health wise I only know that Farr has diabetes.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/obituaries-people-news/richard-l-bare-green-acres-director-dies-dead-1201470533/

Richard L. Bare, the director of "Green Acres" (1965-1971), has died at age 101.

Fun Fact: "Green Acres" starred Eva Gabor, the sister of our dear friend Zsa Zsa Gabor who predeceased her by 20 years (and counting).

Not on this list but someone people should consider is 93 yo Betty White. Her show Hot In Cleveland just ended production and looking at her imdb she has no upcoming projects. Just speculation but one of the things that probably has kept her in great mental and physical health for her age is her workaholic dedication. If work offers are truly fading out for her I could see her take a sudden downturn real quick as she doesn't seem the type who will settle into retired life and enjoy gardering and playing canasta all day.

Not on this list but someone people should consider is 93 yo Betty White. Her show Hot In Cleveland just ended production and looking at her imdb she has no upcoming projects. Just speculation but one of the things that probably has kept her in great mental and physical health for her age is her workaholic dedication. If work offers are truly fading out for her I could see her take a sudden downturn real quick as she doesn't seem the type who will settle into retired life and enjoy gardering and playing canasta all day.

I wouldn't bother with Betty.

As I wrote in my About Me page, Betty White and Jimmy Carter will live to be 100.

I wouldn't bother with Betty.

As I wrote in my About Me page, Betty White and Jimmy Carter will live to be 100.

I am actually thinking Betty White should now become the Deathlist Favorite and be included on the list each year until she finally goes to a Golden Girls reunion gig. She will be testement to longevity (or a cheap hit)

Look at some of the names, in my signature, I'm sure that they'd fit in, on this thread.

Guest Guest

Fidel Castro's six-episode arc on "Blossom" will live long in the memory, for sure.

Shelley Berman is worthy of inclusion, now aged 90. Comedian and actor appeared in numerous shows since the 50s, most recently played Larry David's dad Nate in CYE, but hasn't appeared on it in quite some time...

According to wikipedia Ben Powers who played Thelma's husband on the last season of Good Times is dead at 64

According to wikipedia Ben Powers who played Thelma's husband on the last season of Good Times is dead at 64

Well, following the reference therein, it takes us to this link:

http://www.iloveoldschoolmusic.com/sad-news-good-times-actor-ben-powers-keith-passes-away-at-64/

... And that link states as follows:

"We do not know the exact cause of his death as of yet, but his long time friend made a public announcement a few days ago, confirming Ben’s death. As soon as we get further details surrounding his passing, we’ll post it....."

I presume he may well be dead, but no other links at this time that I can find.

SC

What I hate is, everytime someone is out of the media spotlight for a while (e.g. Ben Powers), it takes 2 weeks for their death to be reported.

Same thing happened with Richard L. Bare, who died 28 March, but it was not reported until 10 April.

Well I ran ino the same problem recently:

http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6496&p=224349

And I had two other people at the pub I was sitting in helping google for an obit lmao (true)....but we came up empty and I never did find confirmation. Powers being a little more in the public eye, you'd expect to find something more than "a friend tweeted about his death". But it's been 12 days now. Fair reason to question the veracity of the friend.

SC

Edit: this inspired me to find an obit for Ray Meyers, and I finally did :-)

Robert Clary, b. 1926, one of the last 2 surviving main cast of Hogan' Heroes along with Kenneth Washington (b. 1947), also a concentration camp survivor

Has anybody noticed how many 20th Century Sitcom stars died in the Late May-Early June period since 2010?

May 28, 2010: Gary Coleman (Diff'rent Strokes)
May 29, 2010: Dennis Hopper (mainly appeared in films but he also had many guest appearances in sitcoms, so maybe we can count him)
May 31, 2013: Jean Stapleton (All in the Family)
June 1, 2014: Ann B. Davis (The Brady Bunch)
June 2, 2012: Richard Dawson (Hogan's Heroes)
June 3, 2010: Rue McClanahan (Maude, Mama's Family, The Golden Girls)
June 8, 2012: Frank Cady (Petticoat Junction, Green Acres)

Do you know of anyone else?

• Like 1