Death Watch Beatle

Carlos the Jackal

I read today that Carlos has been on hunger strike at the Paris jail he is banged-up in. He stopped eating a week ago, protesting about being kept in solitary confinement and having unjustifiable body searches, and says he is prepared to go on as long as necessary.

If we have any doctors amongst us, could they let the DL know if he could survive into 2005 if he continues his protest.

Could be the quickest score ever if the sums add up.

DWB :D

• Like 1

As I recall, Carlos is a rather portly figure, so as long as he's taking in fluids he could easily carry on for a while yet. He'll probably undergo a fair bit of muscle wastage and suffer illnesses related to lack of vitamins, but he should easily make it into 2005.

Whilst probably not setting a record, perhaps one of the best known (at least in UK terms) hunger strikers was Bobby Sands. *

According to Wiki, he started his hunger strike 1st March, and died 5th May. Although it doesn't say so, if memory serves he did take liquids. So, for Carlos we could be looking at a couple of months - Feb would be the key time.

If he stopped taking liquids, and any doctors in the house can correct me, we would only be looking at 10-14 days before internal organs pack in.

* I know Gandhi went on hunger strikes too - but it was the bullet that done him in, not the fasting.

Reasonably portly, I agree, but not massively fat...

20b.jpg

S_IMAGE.f8d5bfac6b.93.88.fa.80.97a22567.jpg

It turns out that Carlos has been on hunger-strike before, and lasted (fasted?) for . . . (wait for it) . . . 2 DAYS!

I've been off food for longer than that when I've had a nasty case of the squits. (I think it must of been a bad pint!)

As a point of interest, would dying after a hunger-strike be counted as a suicide? Perhaps Rude Kid would like to give the DDP view-point on this, as a suicide is an extra point in his game.

DWB :(

Suicide n.: The act or an instance of intentionally killing oneself.

I'd say it does. Any information on why his last attempt at hunger strike didn't work? Were his demands met, or did he simply get a bit peckish?

I found the following quote about his first hunger-strike attempt:

Ramirez went on hunger strike for two days in May in protest at being moved to a new cell.

It doesn't say whether he got moved back or just gave-up. So, now, with his latest starvation attempt into it's second week, let's hope he sticks to his guns!

DWB :(

Does anyone know if Carlos is still on his diet? If he is, it's a new personal best for the infamous assassin.

DWB <_<

He is still alive and serving time in the "big house." The last hunger strike that he attempted lasted only 2 days.

regards,

ff

The latest news on him is that he recently won $6,500 in a court case against France for having him placed in solitary confinement. :unsure:

Jackal wins case at rights court (From The Washington Times 01/28/05)

STRASBOURG — The European Court of Human Rights said yesterday that France had failed to give the killer known as "Carlos the Jackal" proper legal recourse against his solitary confinement of more than eight years.

But it rejected his argument that he had been subjected to cruel and inhumane treatment, and acknowledged France's problems in dealing with one of the world's most notorious killers.

The court ordered the French authorities to pay Carlos the Jackal $6,500 or his legal costs.

article

The court ordered the French authorities to pay Carlos the Jackal $6,500 or his legal costs.[/i]

article

That should buy a few McDonalds.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 16:49, YoungWillz said:

Prosecution pending for "Carlos" for a shopping centre attack in the 1970s: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-4305776/Carlos-Jackal-1970s-extremist-faces-Paris-trial.html

Sentenced to life for 1974 attack. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-4356672/Carlos-Jackal-sentenced-life-1974-attack.html

Note to France - it's the new terrorists you want, not the ones who are already locked up.

High on my list of people I assumed died decades ago but are still breathing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deathrace said:

High on my list of people I assumed died decades ago but are still breathing. 

71 and and no health problems reported. Still the face on one of the best albums of the 90s. The Black Grape's  It's Great When You're Straight. 

On 23/02/2021 at 21:24, arghton said:

OPEC siege 1975 involved people

Perpetrators:

Carlos the Jackal (born 1949) team leader

Gabriele Kröcher-Tiedemann (1951-1995)

Hans-Joachim Klein (born 1947)

Anis al-Naqqash (1951-2021)

The fate of the two others is unknown.

(Plus weapon provider Riyadh al-Izzawi. Is he alive?)

German Revolutionary Cells militant Hans-Joachim Kleindead at 74. Means that Carlos the Jackal is (probably) the last survivor of the six militants of the OPEC siege

• Like 2

Can't find if this has been mentioned yet.

Isabelle Coutant-Peyre, French lawyer, lawyer and wife of Carlos the Jackal, dead at 70 from cancer. Also represented for example Roger Garaudy, Charles Sobhraj, 9/11 terrorists and Iran.

• Like 3