Bibliogryphon

By-Election Bingo

Do we have to provide the reason as well or will the names suffice?

Biblio, can you edit the first post to include the rules, please?

• Like 2

I say we just keep asking Biblio questions so when he comes back here there is like a hundred to answer and not even questions related to the game , just general questions.

Biblio should i take out an unsecured personal loan against my mortgage ?

• Like 1

Sorry I thought that they might be moved over with the rest of the posts from That UK General Election Thing.

Sorry I thought that they might be moved over with the rest of the posts from That UK General Election Thing.

And now they have (apologies DDT). I have put my team into a spreadsheet and now await others

Answers to questions:

I only need the name. The reason will determine the points awarded (see post 1)

There will be no bonus points awarded for the reason.

The Engineer - I would seriously advise not taking financial advice from me.

Just a thought (as I reach Stoke On Trent Central, gawd this is turgid!). There is a proposal regarding recall of MPs, and this might become law during the Parliament. Should we have an indication of a points award in such an event?

Guest Guest

believe it or not there is already the possibility of a real by election in the next few weeks. a tory MP is threatening to resign if the Heathrow expansion gets the go ahead. Camerons honeymoon didn't last long !

Yes, that person was going on my list, as resignation was part of his election manifesto.

My entry is now sent to Bibliogryphon.

Team Name: No Seat For Rump (Parliament). Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Do they have to be current MPs?

Have to cause a by-election, so I would say yes.

Yes these are sitting MPs from the current parliament. You can if you wish include the speaker or any of the Northern Ireland parties.

I am pleased to say I have received the first entry(apart from mine).

• Like 1

Just a thought (as I reach Stoke On Trent Central, gawd this is turgid!). There is a proposal regarding recall of MPs, and this might become law during the Parliament. Should we have an indication of a points award in such an event?

That is a very good point but I fear an academic one given that the Tories blocked this during the last parliament so the likelihood of it happening now is pretty close to zero.

However for future reference I would consider this to be on a par with criminal activity, making yourself so unpopular with a significant proportion of the electorate so this will secure 20 points.

• Like 1

Just to let you all know that from tomorrow evening I will be away for a week. My work are sending me to China for a week and I normally find it difficult to get access to this site when I am in China.

However I hope the rules are clear and if there are any questions I will try to answer them when I get back.

Just a couple of thoughts to leave you with.

The first by-election of every parliament since 1987 has been brought about by the death of a sitting MP.

Secondly - Mayor of London elections take place in 2016. As far as I am aware none of the major parties have selected their candidates yet.

Yes these are sitting MPs from the current parliament. You can if you wish include the speaker or any of the Northern Ireland parties.

ok, I'll have to refresh my knowledge on incumbent MPs, it's been 11 years since I moved away so it'll be a challenge to come up with 30 names, but I'll certainly give it a go.

ok, I'll have to refresh my knowledge on incumbent MPs, it's been 11 years since I moved away so it'll be a challenge to come up with 30 names, but I'll certainly give it a go.

If I can be of assistance here, I used the list of Parliamentary constituencies on Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_Parliament_constituencies) and went from there to cross check incumbents (which are 99.5% correct, I found one that hadn't been updated). Sped up the task no end.

If I can be of assistance here, I used the list of Parliamentary constituencies on Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_Parliament_constituencies) and went from there to cross check incumbents (which are 99.5% correct, I found one that hadn't been updated). Sped up the task no end.

I was looking at that list just a short while ago. saw a few names that were familiar to me and was able to get a couple of names. I'm at work right now so I'll wait until I get home to work on a proper list

I've not lived in the UK for 15 years so I'm in a similar position. I've started by checking out the MPs of the constituencies I've lived in and that has given me a couple of ideas. I imagine the rest of my choices will be wishful thinking types.

• Like 1

Depending on the weather tomorrow, ( if it's raining, I won't be out cycling) I'll look up my candidates ang PM my choices.

I've not lived in the UK for 15 years so I'm in a similar position. I've started by checking out the MPs of the constituencies I've lived in and that has given me a couple of ideas. I imagine the rest of my choices will be wishful thinking types.

many of the MPs that I knew have long since retired so I'm starting from scratch.

The first by-election of every parliament since 1987 has been brought about by the death of a sitting MP.

Odd that nobody has picked me up on this. This should be 1987-2005.

The first by-election of the 2010 parliament was because Phil Woolas was a naughty boy and told porkie pies in his election literature.

The first by-election of the 2010 parliament was because Phil Woolas was a naughty boy and told porkie pies in his election literature.

I was going to pull you up on it but was unsure of the technicality of whether the Thirsk and Malton election counted as a by-election or not.

I was going to pull you up on it but was unsure of the technicality of whether the Thirsk and Malton election counted as a by-election or not.

You've lost me. Woolly Woolas was MP for Oldham and Saddleworth and having met him I'm not suprised by his actions.

But back on message, have submitted my list based on potential to die due to age or lifestyle, resign due to proclivity for philandering or have a name that would make great headlines. Anyone else going to get on board?

@rockhopper - John Boakes, UKIP Candidate in Thirsk and Malton died during the GE campaign in 2010 and delayed the election by a couple of weeks.

Don't have time for serious research, so here's the first 30 members of parliament I can think of without resorting to google (I tried doing this with constituencies but could only muster up 20).

1. Dennis Skinner
  2. Jacob Rees-Mogg
  3. Zac Goldsmith (resigned and lost seat in by-election, 2016)
  4. Chris Bryant
  5. Yvette Cooper
  6. Ed Miliband
  7. Gerald Kaufman
  8. Angus Robertson
  9. Mahri Black
  10. David Davis
  11. Tristram Hunt (resigned 2017 - by-election forthcoming)
  12. Mary Creagh
  13. Theresa May
  14. Ronnie Campbell
  15. Sharon Hodgson
  16. David Anderson
  17. Liam Byrne
  18. Phillip Hammond
  19. Boris Johnson
  20. Nadine Dorries
  21. Nicholas Soames
  22. Jeremy Corbyn
  23. Stephen Kinnock
  24. Hilary Benn
  25. Margaret Hodge
  26. Norman Lamb
  27. Eric Pickles
  28. Liz Kendall
  29. John Bercow
  30. Tim Farron
  • Like 1

@rockhopper - John Boakes, UKIP Candidate in Thirsk and Malton died during the GE campaign in 2010 and delayed the election by a couple of weeks.

Don't have time for serious research, so here's the first 30 members of parliament I can think of without resorting to google (I tried doing this with constituencies but could only muster up 20).

1. Dennis Skinner
  2. Jacob Rees-Mogg
  3. Zac Goldsmith
  4. Chris Bryant
  5. Yvette Cooper
  6. Ed Miliband
  7. Gerald Kaufman
  8. Angus Young
  9. Mahri Black
  10. David Davis
  11. Tristram Hunt
  12. Mary Creagh
  13. Theresa May
  14. Ronnie Campbell
  15. Sharon Hodgson
  16. David Anderson
  17. Liam Byrne
  18. Phillip Hammond
  19. Boris Johnson
  20. Nadine Dorries
  21. Nicholas Soames
  22. Jeremy Corbyn
  23. Stephen Kinnock
  24. Hilary Benn
  25. Margaret Hodge
  26. Norman Lamb
  27. Eric Pickles
  28. Sally Bercow
  29. John Bercow
  30. Yvette Cooper

I accept your entry but I will need at least one other name as Sally Bercow may be many things but not a sitting MP.