Bibliogryphon

By-Election Bingo

Clearly you have not been to Witney.

Has Cameron?

Of course he has. For a pint of Black Wych by the look of it.

11931127_1633861573550142_2139890056_n.j

Oh man. If he can down it in one I might have voted for him.

Clearly you have not been to Witney.

Has Cameron?

Of course he has. For a pint of Black Wych by the look of it.

11931127_1633861573550142_2139890056_n.j

I never knew he liked nobgoblin hobgoblin.

• Like 2

Tories have picked a local Councillor as their candidate which is a safe choice. I do not predict an upset here.

Tories have picked a local Councillor as their candidate which is a safe choice. I do not predict an upset here.

With no UKIP to eat into the Tories 60% that's a very safe prediction. Will Corbyn campaign in the seat is a more interesting question.

I take a week off and Cameron throws in the towel. For the three players who picked him that is 10 points.

40 Points

RockHopperPenguin

The Engineer

Voice of Young Maryport

Rover & Out

30 Points

Bibliogryphon

Shaun of the Dead

Rotton Ali

Time

10 Points

The Dead Cow

MPFC

Still to Score

Young Willz

DeathRay

Sir Creep

Handrejka

Msc

Phantom

Manuel

Witney is on paper a safe Tory seat but a strong LD challenge could in theory cause an upset.

This is going astonishingly well. Still fear a crash and burn to follow mind.

Soap actress Tracy Brabin selected as the Labour candidate for the Batley and Spen by election next month.I wonder if she will be able to get her old corrie co star Liz Dawn a strong Labour supporter on the campaign trail.

Soap actress Tracy Brabin selected as the Labour candidate for the Batley and Spen by election next month.I wonder if she will be able to get her old corrie co star Liz Dawn a strong Labour supporter on the campaign trail.

Not really going to be a campaign as the other parties aren't fielding candidates. Liz can remain indoors.

Not really going to be a campaign as the other parties aren't fielding candidates. Liz can remain indoors.

Aye, it's her and the fringe candidates near as makes no odds. Likely to make for a lively looking podium when they declare the winner.

Meanwhile in Witney, Larry Sanders, brother of Bernie, will be standing for the Greens.

So, re this thread/competition

D'ya think the Tories will give Jezza a suitable period of months to truly fuck up Labour's election chances and preside over an imploding party before keeping a straight face and claiming there are so many changes the electorate should be "given a chance to express its opinion," of summat?

• Like 1

D'ya think the Tories will give Jezza a suitable period of months to truly f**k up Labour's election chances and preside over an imploding party before keeping a straight face and claiming there are so many changes the electorate should be "given a chance to express its opinion," of summat?

No.

D'ya think the Tories will give Jezza a suitable period of months to truly f**k up Labour's election chances and preside over an imploding party before keeping a straight face and claiming there are so many changes the electorate should be "given a chance to express its opinion," of summat?

I think the parliament will go on until May 2020.The Tories will want Corbyn around as long as possible.The longer he is in charge the more the plp will tear itself apart.With the Batley and Spen by election Labour will want as many celebs MPs as possible to demonstrate unity.Will be interesting to see how badly labour do in Witney.4th or 5th place I reckon.

If I were Tory leader, I'd be well aware of what tends to happen to party leaders who have the option of an early election and then don't go for it.

As for Witney, I'd expect some unwinding of the large incumbency factor, but its a comfortable Tory seat, and we're in a comfortably Tory government incumbency period. For most of its lifetime as a seat, it's been held by two men with high profiles - Cameron and Douglas Hurd. However, when it was contested by Shaun Woodward in 1997, during the Labour landslide, it still maintained 43% of the vote for the Tory party, so that's pretty much the low bar for them. Now, without a "name" candidate, but with comfortable government incumbency, I think the Tories will get 50-55% of the by-election vote. UKIP, I think, will stagnate somewhat - who needs to vote for them now they have Brexit, when they harry the main parties to actually put it into action? Plus they no longer have that "awfully nice man" Mr Farage. Poisoned chalice for the new leader there. The English Democrats and Greens are also runs. Which leaves Labour and the Lib Dems fighting it for 2nd. The Lib Dems seem overly buoyant about it, but then, Lib Dems tend to be hugely overoptimistic at the best of times. At a guess, Labour 2nd, Lib Dems 3rd but within 3 percent of each other (on c. 13-16%), UKIP (if they run) around 7%, and everyone else fighting for their lost deposits.

The Tories opposition will come from the right. Since nobody knew what they wanted from Brexit there will be plenty of unmet expectations when the negotiations are finished. UKIP will try to exploit that and the Tory right will also be pushing to roll back more of the state with a victory in 2020 almost certain. That leaves them in position of using the supposed Brexit windfall money on the NHS whilst also wanting to dismantle it.

Brexit windfall money.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

So how many Labour MPs will resign or defect out of despair at Corbyns leadership?There is bound to be at least one before 2020.

Can't see any resigning, why would they? Defection is more interesting but there has to be somewhere to defect to. If there are moves to mass deselect then a core group might form which could develop into a new party. There's also the boundary changes to throw into the mix.

Can't see any resigning, why would they? Defection is more interesting but there has to be somewhere to defect to. If there are moves to mass deselect then a core group might form which could develop into a new party. There's also the boundary changes to throw into the mix.

Liberal membership has been creeping up too - they actually had a brief scramble to join up in the immediate aftermath of the tanking at the general election. Whether any Labour types would defect there, though...electoral suicide surely

• Like 1

Liberal membership has been creeping up too - they actually had a brief scramble to join up in the immediate aftermath of the tanking at the general election. Whether any Labour types would defect there, though...electoral suicide surely

I'd say new party was favourite.

Since it's likely to be full of those who've been agitating against Jezza the new party could be called Labour Pains.

They could call themselves New Labour, or something...

any chance of UKIP taking Camerons old seat in Witney? Would have thought it was a golden opportunity for Nigel Farage to move on to the next phase of his career !

any chance of UKIP taking Camerons old seat in Witney? Would have thought it was a golden opportunity for Nigel Farage to move on to the next phase of his career !

He quit.

Deselection will not impact this game as they are selecting the candidate for the next election.