Sign in to follow this  
gcreptile

Video Game Nerds

On 07/01/2022 at 11:51, Spade_Cooley said:

Stewart Gilray, found of Just Add Water studios and the man behind all the Oddworld games, dead from COVID at 51.

He was unvaccinated because he was too afraid of needles:

https://www.thesun.ie/health/8185702/computer-games-boss-dies-covid-scared-needles-jab/

• Like 1

Scott Bennie, writer on a couple of Interplay games among other stuff, dead at 61 because of pneumonia:

https://www.pcgamer.com/scott-bennie-writer-on-interplays-lord-of-the-rings-star-trek-fallout-and-others-has-died/

A special place in my heart because he came up with "dogmeat", the dog that can be your companion in the Fallout games. He also invented the "mysterious stranger" perk, a character who has a sick amount of fan theories in the web.

• Like 2

No matter at what age they died but it's always so tragic to learn that game creators also die! Kinda of a death sentence to fun and joy.

• Like 2

As terrible as 95% of Ocean games were, I honestly consider them the most iconic of the C64/Spectrum era software houses. 

• Like 3

"Skyrim Grandma" Shirley Curry wants Bethesda to release the sequel before she dies. She's 86 years old now, good luck!

https://metro.co.uk/2022/06/17/skyrim-grandma-wants-to-play-elder-scrolls-6-before-she-dies-16844533/

And yes, she has a Wiki page:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Curry

She suffered a stroke earlier this year, deleting many gaming memories from her harddrive.

• Like 3

Kenichi Okuma had worked in the industry since the early 1990s, with his composer credits including 2008’s Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The veteran game composer passed away from esophageal cancer last Friday at age 56.

SC

• Like 1

Twitter reporting the death of Oliver Frey, instantly recognisable to a generation of C64/Spectrum gamers as the cover art guy for Zzap and Crash magazines. Unsurprisingly, when you look at his work, also had a second career as a kind of British Tom of Finland-type illustrator.

FarSuVdXoAQbxBk?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Co-founder of Kalypso Media (Tropico, Dungeons, Port Royale), Simon Hellwig , has died. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Eric "Ferret" Baudoin has died:

https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76-lead-designer-ferret-baudoin-has-died/

A senior game designer for Bethesda, especially for the unlucky Fallout 76. Was heavily involved in their next flagship game "Starfield" and previously worked on the Dragon Age games. In fact, he seems to have been a big name on quite a few games I've played. Makes me sad.

An "unexpected death", so I assume a heart attack. Did aggressive fans kill him? Am I, and my sky-high expectations for Starfield also to blame?

• Like 3

On 22/02/2020 at 18:13, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Update on Nick Berry. He alludes to time running out. Not immediately perhaps, but he wants to use up his air miles ASAP.

Nick Berry update... he died:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/oct/17/can-you-solve-it-nick-berry-data-dude

It happened in Octobre and the Guardian kept up, impressive.

• Like 2

Archer Maclean, game programmer who authored Dropzone for the Atari 8 bit and the various Jimmy White labelled snooker games of the 1990s, reportedly dead: 

• Like 2

Big loss that, made one of the five best games on the C64 (International Karate +) and one of the five best games on the Amiga (Jimmy White's 'Whirlwind' Snooker).

Volodymyr Ezhov, one of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series devs reportedly killed in Bakhmut.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2022 at 13:39, Spade_Cooley said:

Twitter reporting the death of Oliver Frey, instantly recognisable to a generation of C64/Spectrum gamers as the cover art guy for Zzap and Crash magazines. Unsurprisingly, when you look at his work, also had a second career as a kind of British Tom of Finland-type illustrator.

His partner, Crash and Zzap publisher/founder Roger Kean, is also being reported dead. Learned he was in the final stages of ALS over Christmas, but the fact that Frey only got a brief mention in the Metro made me think there wasn't any chance of a QO.

• Like 1

Gizem "Luie" Harmankaya, Turkish esports competitor dead in the earthquake.

• Like 1

Michael Berlyn, co-creator of mid-80s Activision game Tass Times In Tonetown and notably worked for Accolade on Bubsy (aka Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind), reportedly dead: 

He had previously had cancer around 8-9 years ago, no cause of death so far.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Michael Berlyn, co-creator of mid-80s Activision game Tass Times In Tonetown and notably worked for Accolade on Busby (aka Busby in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind), reportedly dead: 

He had previously had cancer around 8-9 years ago, no cause of death so far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Death Impends said:

• Like 1