Sign in to follow this  
gcreptile

Video Game Nerds

1 hour ago, Paul Bearer said:

My son still has the one I got him about 1990. Must ask him if he still has the games too.  I remember playing the Indiana Jones game on it. 

Yes, still has the consol.

1 hour ago, JQW said:

There's several models of the 2600 - the earliest ones have 6 switches on the front instead of the 4 shown here, with the most valuable being the original 'heavy' version. Then there's later models without the wood-grain, and the 2600 Jr. model in a completely different case. 

Some of the games can be worth a lot of money to collectors - usually ones from obscure manufacturers who didn't last long.

I'm trying to find out how many switches it had. From (a very poor) memory, there were 6. 

2 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

My son still has the one I got him about 1990. Must ask him if he still has the games too.  I remember playing the Indiana Jones game on it. 

surely at that time, 1990, you could have got him something better

• Like 1

4 hours ago, runebomme said:

surely at that time, 1990, you could have got him something better

Actually, thinking back on it, it was originally mine from about 1983/4.  It got passed about through the family until my son got it back about 1990 ish.  I might go on to ebay and see about getting a couple of games for it and demand it back. :lol::lol::lol:

5 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Yes, still has the consol.

I'm trying to find out how many switches it had. From (a very poor) memory, there were 6. 

He's just sent me a photo of it.  It has 6 switches. 

Ben Daglish, one of the greatest game composers of the 1980s, has died suddenly at 52. Most famously did the soundtrack for "The Last Ninja" on the C64. But what's more important is that this is yet another retro-gaming obit picked up by the Metro, so it seems like any of the big names of the 1980s home computing era are in play for the DDP.

• Like 3

I'm very glad to see his passing being marked (there was an article on Variety too). Him and many others like him may not be household names but very influential through their work and deserve the notice.

With the rise of these esports competition (FIFA Champs coming up in London, wooo, how exciting....is this what we've become?), surely we are going to have a spate of disaffected yoof competitors hitting the mental health skids in a few years.

14 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

With the rise of these esports competition (FIFA Champs coming up in London, wooo, how exciting....is this what we've become?), surely we are going to have a spate of disaffected yoof competitors hitting the mental health skids in a few years.

You say this as if esports hasn’t been around for like a decade with relatively no occurrences. 

1 minute ago, Banana said:

You say this as if esports hasn’t been around for like a decade with relatively no occurrences. 

That's why I said a few years, rather than a decade. :P

43 minutes ago, Banana said:

I mean there was Todd Rogers, and who'd really be surprised if he offed himself in the next few years?

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I mean there was Todd Rogers, and who'd really be surprised if he offed himself in the next few years?

Could totally see him or Billy Mitchell.

Data scientist Nick Berry, formerly of Microsoft and Facebook, has terminal cancer. He was one of the first people to push analytics in online gaming and was one of the key people behind Farmville dominating Facebook feeds for a year or so.

Getting to the thick end of OldWillz Estate.

Brother sold his old SNES and a few games for £145.

Now disposing of his Atari with some games - apparently the Mario Bros game alone is worth £50 he tells me!

All this stuff is worth generally more than the collections of stuff my parents gathered over 60 years.

As anyone who has done a carboot sale in the past five years will know, the first wave of buyers is professionals walking around at 7am asking you if you've got any a) retro video games b) Lego that they can underpay massively for then flog on eBay.

• Like 1

On 03/09/2019 at 05:52, Spade_Cooley said:

Data scientist Nick Berry, formerly of Microsoft and Facebook, has terminal cancer. He was one of the first people to push analytics in online gaming and was one of the key people behind Farmville dominating Facebook feeds for a year or so.

Update on Nick Berry. He alludes to time running out. Not immediately perhaps, but he wants to use up his air miles ASAP.

• Sad 2

24 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Kazuhisa Hashimoto, creator of gaming's Konami Code, has died. He was 61.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/02/26/konami-code-creator-kazuhisa-hashimoto-has-died/

Imbedding into my brain from childhood: Up up, down down, left, right, left, right, die...

• Like 1

Gus Rodriguez, a prolific Mexican producer and gamer, has died.  He was 59. Rodriguez was best known for the Mexican show Nintendomania, which ran between 1995 and 2000.

https://www.explica.co/gus-rodriguez-the-legendary-screenwriter-producer-and-gamer-has-died/

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gus_Rodríguez