Cerberus

Survivors

I've just been perusing the inaugural deathlist from 1987.

Some interesting selections were made there. Obiously, you knew that Les Dawson (56) was not very well. But what was 28-year old racing driver Andrea de Cesaris doing there? He's still with us as far as I can tell. Did he have a reputation for dangerous driving or something?

Anyway, there are four other survivors that I know of:

Ozzy Osbourne
Sir Jimmy Saville
Anna Wing
Cive Dunn

18 years on, some of them still seem to have some gas in the tank.

• Like 2

Guest Basil Bush

Some interesting selections were made there. Obiously, you knew that Les Dawson (56) was not very well. But what was 28-year old racing driver Andrea de Cesaris doing there? He's still with us as far as I can tell. Did he have a reputation for dangerous driving or something?

Ozzy Osbourne

Sir Jimmy Saville

Anna Wing

Cive Dunn

Even more remarkable is that at least two of the 1989 entries were long dead at the beginning of the year - William Hartnell snuffed it in 1975 and Wilfrid Brambell in 1985.

Two Beatles are still with us too.

• Like 2

Two Beatles are still with us too.

No, three are. Assuming you don't believe that Paul is dead, then you have Paul, Ringo and Jacko.

Look at Death Watch Beatle's Avatar if you don't believe me.

• Like 2

That's him alright.

I've been waiting for his nose to drop off for some time now.

:skull:

• Like 1

Guest IYG

I'm rather surprised I could almost swear that the Pope was on the list from day one or was there another Pope at that time, I didn't really follow at that time, I was 2. :skull:

I'm rather surprised I could almost swear that the Pope was on the list from day one or was there another Pope at that time, I didn't really follow at that time, I was 2. :skull:

I just checked and the pope's name was not on the 1987 list

• Like 1

Ozzy Osbourne

Sir Jimmy Saville

Anna Wing

Cive Dunn

Andrea de Cesaris had a nickname: Andrea de Crasharis. Does this help at all?

DWB :skull:

Guest IYG

I just checked and the pope's name was not on the 1987 list

I know, I checked it myself when I saw the thread.

I'm beginning to think he might out live us all.

Ozzy really isn't trying hard enough:

Blaze hits Osbourne family mansion

Apparently caused an electrical fault in a lamp. And Ozzy wan't even in! How very un-rock-n-roll! That sawn-off witch Kelly "had left the house... shortly before the blaze was discovered".

At this rate, Ozzy will be doing adverts for Stannah Stairlifts and Steradent before too long!

Aye, but he talks rock 'n' roll. The same house is the site of his quad bike accident and a distressing robbery when Sharon lost items of sentimental and financial worth. Ozzy says in today's Sun newspaper that he reckons the house 'cursed.'

Ozzy says in today's Sun newspaper that he reckons the house 'cursed.'

Well, he is the self styled Prince of Darkness.

he is the self styled Prince of Darkness

I thought we all were on this site! Well, a few princesses too, obviously.

But seriously folks, given the somewhat random nature of the picks in the early days, does the Statto - or anyone else - know which of all the DLists currently has the fewest survivors?

from the 1990 death list Manuel Noriega is still alive.

So is Walter Cronkite from 1992

Arthur C Clarke from 1995

Red Auerbach from 1996

Fidel Castro from 1996

Looking back over the early years the tonnage of survivors is incredible. TBH there's a bit more research than I fancied doing on a Saturday morning for the sake of one post but I reckon it was the early nineties before those compiling the DL started to get a grip on the business. So far as I can make out there are way more survivors from the late eighties than the years that followed

1988: No list on the site at the moment

1989: Listed then, 12 of 'em still breathing: George Melly, Frank Bruno, Bobby Robson, Nelson Mandela, Ian Paisley, Kenneth Kendall, Ozzy Osbourne, Brian Wilson, Clive Dunn, Cyril Smith, David Jenkins, George Cole

1990: Listed then, 7 still breathing: Dunn, HM QEII, Kurt Waldhiem, Oprah Winfrey, Cyril Smith, Boris Yeltsin, Terry Waite

1991: Listen then, 6 still breathing: Saddam Hussein, Cyril Smith, Patrick Moore, Bernard Manning, Mandela, Dunn

I reckon we should modify this thread to keep tabs on all survivors of earlier DLs. There's tension, excitement and banter to be shared as we wait for one of those top fifty lists to boast wall to wall stiffs.

Looking back over the early years the tonnage of survivors is incredible. TBH there's a bit more research than I fancied doing on a Saturday morning for the sake of one post but I reckon it was the early nineties before those compiling the DL started to get a grip on the business. So far as I can make out there are way more survivors from the late eighties than the years that followed

1988: No list on the site at the moment

1989: Listed then, 12 of 'em still breathing: George Melly, Frank Bruno, Bobby Robson, Nelson Mandela, Ian Paisley, Kenneth Kendall, Ozzy Osbourne, Brian Wilson, Clive Dunn, Cyril Smith, David Jenkins, George Cole

1990: Listed then, 7 still breathing: Dunn, HM QEII, Kurt Waldhiem, Oprah Winfrey, Cyril Smith, Boris Yeltsin, Terry Waite

1991: Listen then, 6 still breathing: Saddam Hussein, Cyril Smith, Patrick Moore, Bernard Manning, Mandela, Dunn

I reckon we should modify this thread to keep tabs on all survivors of earlier DLs. There's tension, excitement and banter to be shared as we wait for one of those top fifty lists to boast wall to wall stiffs.

That's a good idea. There were a couple survivors that were omitted that I have added below. Thanks for compiling the list.

1990:

Mike Ditka

Manuel Noriega

1991:

Zsa Zsa Gabor

Norman Willis

Leo Beenhakker

I'm very suprised Zsa Zsa Gabor wasn't included on this years list. Especially since she had a stroke last year. John Kenneth Galbraith the essential economist wasn't included, and proved a loss for Deathlist. I practically told Grim Reaper that he was a prime canidate, but as it seems the Deathlist committee failed to list him. If she dies, I raise hell. :lol:

>snip>I'm very suprised Zsa Zsa Gabor wasn't included on this years list.<snip> If she dies, I raise hell. ;)>snip<

;) We're all shakin' in our shoes Banshees ;)

>snip>I'm very suprised Zsa Zsa Gabor wasn't included on this years list.<snip> If she dies, I raise hell. ;)>snip<

;) We're all shakin' in our shoes Banshees ;)

I think your shivering. You should close your window, the summer breeze may be giving you a chill. It can't be help on your part anyway, I know my aura drives you tense to the core. ;)

Well, I'm bored this afternoon and in one of my list compiling moods so, with the information above the DL survivors 1987-2006

1987: Dunn, de Cesaris, Wing, Saville, Osbourne, Beatles (6/31)

1988: A mystery.........

1989: Melly, Bruno, Robson, Mandela, Ditka, Paisley, Kendall, Osbourne, Wilson, Dunn, Smith, Jenkins, Cole (13/32)

1990: Dunn, Noriega, Aznavour, Waldheim, Alliss, Ditka, Rex Williams, Winfrey, Smith, Yeltsin, Aquino, Waite (12/42)

1991: Hussein, Willis, Smith, Moore, Manning, Mandela, Dunn, Gabor, Beenhaaker (9/40)

1992: Pinochet, O'Brien, Cronkite, Finney, Ryder (5/37)

1993: Dunn, Bennett, Curtis, Waldheim, I Paisley, Demjanjuk, Kissinger, Ray Kennedy, Moore, Lineker, Sykes, Foot, Lewis (13/56)

1994: Castro, Demjanjuk, Kirkbride, White, Shamir, Dunn, Pinochet, Johnson, Thorpe, Shilton (10/50)

1995: Curtis, Hillary, Demjanjuk, Castro, Pinochet, Johnson, Clarke, Moore, Yeltshin, Forsyth, Connery (11/50)

1996: Yeltsin, Hagman, Demjanjuk, Mr T, Thorpe, Pinochet, Domino, Waldheim, Castro, Deedes (10/50)

1997: Pinochet, Wisdom, Rooney, Domino, Waldheim, Clarke, Ford, Douglas, Dunn (9/50)

1998: Yeltsin, Rooney, Solzhenitsyn, Jaruzelski, Sykes, Waldheim (6/50)

1999: Yeltsin, Knievel, Havel, Pinochet, Leeson, Friedman, Laine, Simon (8/50)

2000: Yeltsin, Havel, Pinochet, Farrakan, Dunn, Foot, Jaruzelski, Biggs, Solzhenitsyn, Malden (10/50)

2001: Gallo, Tutu, Minelli, Nelson, Ford, Jones, Pincher, Wallach, Wouk, Rooney (10/50)

2002: Biggs, Hofmann, Yogi, Brady, Foot, Barbera, bin Laden, Malden, Higgins, Levi-Strauss, Gallo, Douglas, Waldheim, Suharto, Kendall, Niemeyer (16/50)

2003: Hofmann, Biggs, Barbera, Deedes, Jones, Foot, Malden, Ford, Morgan, Wisdom, Shamir, Cronkite, Palance, Waldheim, Rooney, Gabor, Suharto, Sykes, Havel (19/50)

2004: Biggs, Foot, Gallo, Hofmann, Levi-Strauss, Laine, Yogi, Barbera, Ford, Deedes, Solzhenitsyn, Brady, Shamir, Musharraf, Wallach, Mintoff, Douglas, O'Brien, Clarke, Waldheim, Michelmore, Rooney, Mugabe, Dunn (24/50)

2005: Biggs, Moore, Astor, Hofmann, Niemayer, Levi-Strauss, Gallo, Wisdom, Taylor, Barbera, Solzhenitsyn, Yogi, Rayner, Friedman, Karzai, Maradona, Deedes, Laine, Ford, LaMotta, Foot, Martin, Wyman, Wallach, Paul, Pinochet, de Havilland, Cronkite, Ford, Waldheim, O'Sullevan, Castro, Lewis (33/50)

2006: 41 survivors at present.

Make of that what you will.....

Edited by Octopus of Odstock

Well, I'm bored this afternoon and in one of my list compiling moods so, with the information above the DL survivors 1987-2006

Make of that what you will.....

I make of it that, in the long run, DL is very good at choosing the infirm and the elderly. Of 19 lists, only the most recent two still have half their candidates alive - and most lists are out of 50. I dare say that if you go back to the beginnings of the DDP, far more than a tenth of the lists would have more than half of their people still alive, and those lists hold only 20 people. (That sentence had way too many numbers, but I got my point across (I think ;) ))

Octi, either you're in jail or we should consider a whip round to put you on salary, respect to the list, work I couldn't contemplate this morning.

I have a question regarding past deathlists and Bette Davis.

She appeared on 3 lists (1987, 1992 & 1994) but according to Wikipedia she died in 1989. So, is wikipedia wrong or was the GR in denial over the death of Bette Davis?

She appeared on 3 lists (1987, 1992 & 1994) but according to Wikipedia she died in 1989. So, is wikipedia wrong or was the GR in denial over the death of Bette Davis?

Although Wikipedia has been wrong many times before, it is correct in this case. Betty Davis died from cancer on October 6th, 1989.

Although Wikipedia has been wrong many times before, it is correct in this case. Betty Davis died from cancer on October 6th, 1989.

Interesting. Are there any other occasions when the DL has embarrassed itself by listing people who are already dead? It's not as if Bet Davis was obscure.

• Like 1