Cerberus

Survivors

The best-known case of long dead candidates appearing on the Deathlist is Wilfrid Brambell who appeared in 1989 (with his name incorrectly spelt "Bramble") in spite of having copped it in 1985.

For Brambell enthusiasts, I can highly recommend the film I watched last night: The Witchfinder General.

A small role, but excellently played.

• Like 1

Wilfred's page on the IMDB. More than enough to stage a full blown Bramblefest. Can't say I've been that blown away by the man's film career although rifling through the page above reminds me he was damn good in Hard Day's Night.

He was another one well in closet to protect his career. Now if only we could find a picture of him, Ted Heath and Arthur C Clarke together....

Bloody hell, is that Wilfred Brambell in a film or a late picture of the Incredible String Band?

I have a question regarding past deathlists and Bette Davis.

She appeared on 3 lists (1987, 1992 & 1994) but according to Wikipedia she died in 1989. So, is wikipedia wrong or was the GR in denial over the death of Bette Davis?

Although Wikipedia has been wrong many times before, it is correct in this case. Betty Davis died from cancer on October 6th, 1989.

The DL Committee released the following statement in 1994 after it was reported that the current year's list included someone already dead.

(With apologies to Kim Carnes)

"Her head's a hollow globe

Her lips have long since dried

Her hands are frozen cold

Who knew Bette Davis died?

The funeral music's stopped now

We didn't check our facts twice

Dead as a New York Doll

Who knew Bette Davis died?

So you tease us

It don't please us

The Committee's gone to pieces

Twas reported, rigor mortis

But our experts didn't notice

So now we give a shrug and sigh

Who knew Bette Davis died?"

• Haha 1

She appeared on 3 lists (1987, 1992 & 1994) but according to Wikipedia she died in 1989. So, is wikipedia wrong or was the GR in denial over the death of Bette Davis?

This is indeed a shock :rip:

Ronnie's official statement made me think an even greater apology was needed to DeathList visitors...

Official DL Committee Statement

17.4Mb avi - Sound needed (sorry for the large size)

This is indeed a shock :rip:

Ronnie's official statement made me think an even greater apology was needed to DeathList visitors...

Official DL Committee Statement

17.4Mb avi - Sound needed (sorry for the large size)

Took me a while to get to see it as I had to download some extra component thingy,

But very well done, I'm sure the committee is forgiven for the faux pas.

facinating reading this post. just found it while looking around for some Ozzy thread. anyway, he's just made his first Sober Album. wonder if it will be as bad as the others.

facinating reading this post. just found it while looking around for some Ozzy thread. anyway, he's just made his first Sober Album. wonder if it will be as bad as the others.

At least he'll remember making it, or some of it anyway....

Although Wikipedia has been wrong many times before, it is correct in this case. Betty Davis died from cancer on October 6th, 1989.

Interesting. Are there any other occasions when the DL has embarrassed itself by listing people who are already dead? It's not as if Bet Davis was obscure.

Here's a bit of a DL history lesson for those who may or may not be interested (and apologies if this has been reported in earlier posts). Although my memory of drunken evenings in 1986 mightn't be what it once was, the original night of the Cary Grant death list was a grand affair and the 31 names on the final list was whittled down from a weird and wonderful selection from the 6 or 7 people that attended - I seem to remember there was even a racehorse (Brimstone Lady??) suggested, but possibly because it had suffered a fall in a race that day after one of us had backed the useless nag.

By the late 80s four of us were flatsharing in Walthamstow and carried on the tradition, with a few others chipping in on selection night. I have to say that in those pre-interweb days we didnt take too much care about whether someone was actually dead (eg Davis) or had much chance of actually dying (de Cesaris, Bruno) and we couldnt google who the world's oldest celeb with cancer was, which is why we didn't have much success. But it was all done in a devil-may-care spirit that's a bit lacking in the cold professional times of today, and I'd quite like to see some more oddball names return in the future. It won't happen, of course.

Anyway, I seem to have lost my thread a bit and I'm getting bored of typing, so I'll leave it there for now.

• Like 1

A quick check on previous years lists reveals that old Boris was a regular favourite up until the year 2000. In fact his death means that virtually all the names from the lists up until the year 2000 have now passed on!

Well Iain is known for his outlandish statements but is he right? Well, half & half really. A LOT have gone, but virtually all? Probably just a tad over-the-top (again)...

Time for an updated list:

1987: Dunn, de Cesaris, Wing, Saville, Osbourne, Beatles (6/31)

1988: A mystery.........

1989: Melly, Bruno, Robson, Mandela, Ditka, Paisley, Kendall, Osbourne, Wilson, Dunn, Smith, Jenkins, Cole (13/32)

1990: Dunn, Noriega, Aznavour, Waldheim, Alliss, Ditka, Rex Williams, Winfrey, Smith, Aquino, Waite (11/42)

1991: Willis, Smith, Moore, Manning, Mandela, Dunn, Gabor, Beenhaaker (8/40)

1992: O'Brien, Cronkite, Finney, Ryder (4/37)

1993: Dunn, Bennett, Curtis, Waldheim, I Paisley, Demjanjuk, Kissinger, Ray Kennedy, Moore, Lineker, Sykes, Foot, Lewis (13/56)

1994: Castro, Demjanjuk, Kirkbride, White, Shamir, Dunn, Johnson, Thorpe, Shilton (9/50)

1995: Curtis, Hillary, Demjanjuk, Castro, Johnson, Clarke, Moore, Forsyth, Connery (9/50)

1996: Hagman, Demjanjuk, Mr T, Thorpe, Domino, Waldheim, Castro, Deedes (8/50)

1997: Wisdom, Rooney, Domino, Waldheim, Clarke, Douglas, Dunn (7/50)

1998: Rooney, Solzhenitsyn, Jaruzelski, Sykes, Waldheim (5/50)

1999: Knievel, Havel, Leeson, Simon (4/50)

2000: Havel, Farrakan, Dunn, Foot, Jaruzelski, Biggs, Solzhenitsyn, Malden (8/50)

2001: Tutu, Minelli, Jones, Pincher, Wallach, Wouk, Rooney (7/50)

2002: Biggs, Hofmann, Yogi, Brady, Foot, bin Laden, Malden, Higgins, Levi-Strauss, Douglas, Waldheim, Suharto, Kendall, Niemeyer (14/50)

2003: Hofmann, Biggs, Deedes, Jones, Foot, Malden, Morgan, Wisdom, Shamir, Cronkite, Waldheim, Rooney, Gabor, Suharto, Sykes, Havel (16/50)

2004: Biggs, Foot, Hofmann, Levi-Strauss, Yogi, Deedes, Solzhenitsyn, Brady, Shamir, Musharraf, Wallach, Mintoff, Douglas, O'Brien, Clarke, Waldheim, Michelmore, Rooney, Mugabe, Dunn (20/50)

2005: Biggs, Moore, Astor, Hofmann, Niemayer, Levi-Strauss, Wisdom, Taylor, Solzhenitsyn, Yogi, Rayner, Karzai, Maradona, Deedes, LaMotta, Foot, Martin, Wyman, Wallach, Paul, de Havilland, Cronkite, Ford, Waldheim, O'Sullevan, Castro, Lewis (27/50)

2006: 36 survivors at present.

2007: 49 survivors at present.

Since the entry for The Beatles was technically "Any one Beatle" Shouldn't that be removed from the list, since Harrison died in 2001?

Why has Clive Dunn escaped so many lists? I thought he was the totem, the mascot, the spiritual raison d'etre of the Death List, yet he slipped through the net several times in the 90s and 00s. All i can say is that I hope he'll never go AWOL again.

Guest IR

I still wonder why Beenhakker has been on the list. Right now he's coaching Poland. Was he ever really ill?

Since the entry for The Beatles was technically "Any one Beatle" Shouldn't that be removed from the list, since Harrison died in 2001?

CP, I'm confused by this. Obviously Macca will outlive them all & be the sole remaining Beatle, as he's sold his soul to Beelzebub, but Ringo's still alive, isn't he? And would Pete Best, the original drummer be counted?

Or have I completely misunderstood your post?

Probably, which is why I normally try to conceal myself in the shadows making lame quips and puns, as against stepping into the light and getting involved with the actual death prediction stuff....

Cheers,

BHB

CP, I'm confused by this. Obviously Macca will outlive them all & be the sole remaining Beatle, as he's sold his soul to Beelzebub, but Ringo's still alive, isn't he? And would Pete Best, the original drummer be counted?

Um, I think you have misunderstood. If you selected 'any one Beatle', then you'd get a hit if one of them died. One did die (several years later), so that can be counted as a success under the cumulative list thingy that OoO was trying to achieve.

I think that's what CP was on about, but this may be muddying the water even further...

Um, I think you have misunderstood. If you selected 'any one Beatle', then you'd get a hit if one of them died. One did die (several years later), so that can be counted as a success under the cumulative list thingy that OoO was trying to achieve.

What he said. :blink:

What he said. :)

Yes, but as the other two Beatles are alive, surely they still count as survivors of the "Any One"? I mean, they're not dead, after all, so they must be survivors of some sort?

What he said. :)

Yes, but as the other two Beatles are alive, surely they still count as survivors of the "Any One"? I mean, they're not dead, after all, so they must be survivors of some sort?

Depends how you look at it. The way I see it, you would remove a name off the list when that suggestion would have been "hit" so to speak. If Harrison had died in '87, then would "Any one Beatle" count as a "Survivor" of the list?

I get your point about them being literally, Survivors. "Any one Beatle" is a survivor (Starr, Mac etc.) but "any one of the remaining Beatles," as one could point to Harrison as a remaining Beatle who is no longer a survivor. So the group "the remaining Beatles" is not a survivor.

Not that all that literary garbage matters much. It's difficult to place that selection anywhere within the tradition.

Depends how you look at it. The way I see it, you would remove a name off the list when that suggestion would have been "hit" so to speak. If Harrison had died in '87, then would "Any one Beatle" count as a "Survivor" of the list?

I get your point about them being literally, Survivors. "Any one Beatle" is a survivor (Starr, Mac etc.) but "any one of the remaining Beatles," as one could point to Harrison as a remaining Beatle who is no longer a survivor. So the group "the remaining Beatles" is not a survivor.

Not that all that literary garbage matters much. It's difficult to place that selection anywhere within the tradition.

There's only one way to solve this condundrum. Get me Mark Chapman/Heather Mills on the phone.

:):ph34r::rip::rip:

What he said. :ph34r:

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

It's all as clear as a view from a bathroom window to me now... :)

Cheers,

BHB

Time for an updated list after the mass death-athon in June/July:-

1988: ????????????

1989: Bruno, Robson, Mandela, Ditka, Paisley, Kendall, Osbourne, Wilson, Dunn, Smith, Jenkins, Cole (12/32)

1990: Dunn, Noriega, Aznavour, Alliss, Ditka, Rex Williams, Winfrey, Smith, Aquino, Waite (10/42)

1991: Willis, Smith, Moore, Mandela, Dunn, Gabor, Beenhaaker (7/40)

1992: O'Brien, Cronkite, Finney, Ryder (4/37)

1993: Dunn, Bennett, Curtis, I Paisley, Demjanjuk, Kissinger, Ray Kennedy, Moore, Lineker, Sykes, Foot, Lewis (12/56)

1994: Castro, Demjanjuk, Kirkbride, White, Shamir, Dunn, Thorpe, Shilton (7/50)

1995: Curtis, Hillary, Demjanjuk, Castro, Clarke, Moore, Forsyth, Connery (8/50)

1996: Hagman, Demjanjuk, Mr T, Thorpe, Domino, Castro, Deedes (7/50)

1997: Wisdom, Rooney, Domino, Clarke, Douglas, Dunn (6/50)

1998: Rooney, Solzhenitsyn, Jaruzelski, Sykes (4/50)

1999: Knievel, Havel, Leeson, Simon (4/50)

2000: Havel, Farrakan, Dunn, Foot, Jaruzelski, Biggs, Solzhenitsyn, Malden (8/50)

2001: Tutu, Minelli, Jones, Pincher, Wallach, Wouk, Rooney (7/50)

2002: Biggs, Hofmann, Yogi, Brady, Foot, bin Laden, Malden, Higgins, Levi-Strauss, Douglas, Suharto, Kendall, Niemeyer (13/50)

2003: Hofmann, Biggs, Deedes, Jones, Foot, Malden, Morgan, Wisdom, Shamir, Cronkite, Rooney, Gabor, Suharto, Sykes, Havel (15/50)

2004: Biggs, Foot, Hofmann, Levi-Strauss, Yogi, Deedes, Solzhenitsyn, Brady, Shamir, Musharraf, Wallach, Mintoff, Douglas, O'Brien, Clarke, Michelmore, Rooney, Mugabe, Dunn (19/50)

2005: Biggs, Moore, Astor, Hofmann, Niemayer, Levi-Strauss, Wisdom, Taylor, Solzhenitsyn, Yogi, Rayner, Karzai, Maradona, Deedes, LaMotta, Foot, Martin, Wyman, Wallach, Paul, de Havilland, Cronkite, O'Sullevan, Castro, Lewis, B Ford (26/50)

2006: 32 survivors at present.

2007: 44 survivors at present.

Guest guest

Octopus of Odstock, I found a mistake in your latest list: Betty Ford was on the 2005 list and is still living.

Octopus of Odstock, I found a mistake in your latest list: Betty Ford was on the 2005 list and is still living.

That's debatable. :)

Sorry, I got her mixed up with Lady Bird Johnson. As you do. :)

Edited, thanks.

P.S. I wonder how well the DL would do if they picked only candidates of past DL's for the 2008 list?

• Like 1