RadGuy

Shadow Lists

Me 13, DL 12 following the death of Sumner Redstone

Up to 17/50 thanks to Bill Gates Sr. Pat Smullen.

9 hours ago, Book said:

Up to 17/50 thanks to Bill Gates Sr. Pat Smullen.

Yes, but around half your team I'd either never heard of until I came on here or still have no idea who they are at all (14).

I know the real list has Bill Gates' Dad and  - as you do - P-Orridge and Tom Smith but I think a significant proportion of the adult population in either UK or US has heard of most of the others.

Not intended as a dig at you personally, I'd make the same observation about a lot of the other lists on here being compared  favourably to the committee's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Yes, but around half your team I'd either never heard of until I came on here or still have no idea who they are at all (14).

I know the real list has Bill Gates' Dad and  - as you do - P-Orridge and Tom Smith but I think a significant proportion of the adult population in either UK or US has heard of most of the others.

Not intended as a dig at you personally, I'd make the same observation about a lot of the other lists on here being compared  favourably to the committee's.

To be fair, Book isn't the worst offender.  I have heard of a lot of the people on his list, even if they had to be explained to me ("Oh, that guy").  I mean, I'd never heard of Alex Trebek before people started talking about him here, but I was aware of the Jeopardy game show, so that works for me.  Most of Book's names that are unknown to me are German, which is fair enough.

• Thanks 1

Based on my current shadow list, I also didn't know 22 people when I came across this forum in 2013 (minus 6ix9ine, as he was not yet public). But over time, I also took the obvious candidates into my teams so that I could get points. And that is the goal: to get more points than the biggest competitor, maybe better than the committee, better than your own team from last year. Also, I have never heard of Tom Smith or Genesis P-Orridge before, but they were much discussed people here in the forum from the art/music or sports area, it was obvious to include them. With Bill Gates Sr., that wasn't so clear, which is why he's considered one of the most controversial DL picks this year. Genesis P-Orridge certainly too, but as I said: They were a major topic and discussed. For most people, Gates Senior was simply the "father of", which for many users is not enough to get on the list. And while the DL had a hit with one of the most controversial picks of 2020 (Gates), my shadow list also had a hit with Pat Smullen (whom, of course, I didn't know before) - an Irish jockey with incurable cancer. He could have been a very good and fitting pick on the DL ...
Regarding the remaining candidates on my shadow list: I think that everyone is a well-known personality in their own right, famous or known through music, drama, politics, media, etc. Certainly it always depends on the personal point of view, e.g. Jackie Stallone (also a mother of ...) is a celebrity for me, Gates Senior is not like that.
And about the Germans: More of them could be represented at the DL! Three French in 2020 but not a single German? - A scandal!! :D
But no matter: With their tactics, the DL has 13 hits so far, with my tactics I have 17 hits. All is well.

• Like 4

@Book Helmut Kohl (iirc) was on the list so I think it is the current lack of a suitable German candidate for the Deathlist though in my opinion Pope Benedict should be on the list

Are there any names you were thinking of?

51 minutes ago, Book said:
Based on my current shadow list, I also didn't know 22 people when I came across this forum in 2013 (minus 6ix9ine, as he was not yet public). But over time, I also took the obvious candidates into my teams so that I could get points. And that is the goal: to get more points than the biggest competitor, maybe better than the committee, better than your own team from last year. Also, I have never heard of Tom Smith or Genesis P-Orridge before, but they were much discussed people here in the forum from the art/music or sports area, it was obvious to include them. With Bill Gates Sr., that wasn't so clear, which is why he's considered one of the most controversial DL picks this year. Genesis P-Orridge certainly too, but as I said: They were a major topic and discussed. For most people, Gates Senior was simply the "father of", which for many users is not enough to get on the list. And while the DL had a hit with one of the most controversial picks of 2020 (Gates), my shadow list also had a hit with Pat Smullen (whom, of course, I didn't know before) - an Irish jockey with incurable cancer. He could have been a very good and fitting pick on the DL ...
Regarding the remaining candidates on my shadow list: I think that everyone is a well-known personality in their own right, famous or known through music, drama, politics, media, etc. Certainly it always depends on the personal point of view, e.g. Jackie Stallone (also a mother of ...) is a celebrity for me, Gates Senior is not like that.
And about the Germans: More of them could be represented at the DL! Three French in 2020 but not a single German? - A scandal!! :D
But no matter: With their tactics, the DL has 13 hits so far, with my tactics I have 17 hits. All is well.

Actually there’s 4 french on the list : VGE, Cardin, Delors and Le Pen

4 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Actually there’s 4 french on the list : VGE, Cardin, Delors and Le Pen

That only makes it worse! :D

• Haha 4

Angela Merkel has seen off Five British Prime Ministers and she is probably the only German politician I could name so the lack of  candidates could be down to political stability.

8 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

@Book Helmut Kohl (iirc) was on the list so I think it is the current lack of a suitable German candidate for the Deathlist though in my opinion Pope Benedict should be on the list

Are there any names you were thinking of?

Benedict XVI should be included on next years list, yes.

The main problem is the lack of interest of the UK press in German actors, musicians, politicians imo, so no qualifying obits for many of my hits in the past.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Book said:

Benedict XVI should be included on next years list, yes.

The main problem is the lack of interest of the UK press in German actors, musicians, politicians imo, so no qualifying obits for many of my hits in the past.

Shame you aren't playing Scavenger Hunt. If you won you could pick Germans as one of the categories for the next round

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Shame you aren't playing Scavenger Hunt. If you won you could pick Germans as one of the categories for the next round

:o

Just a reminder that both the Fokkers in the above video are still alive....

4 hours ago, Book said:

Must be quite a few well-known German footballers of the 60s and 70s who are in their late 70s or 80s now, Uwe Seeler for one.

4 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Must be quite a few well-known German footballers of the 60s and 70s who are in their late 70s or 80s now, Uwe Seeler for one.

Gerd Muller is 75 but has had dementia for yonks. Beckenbauer feels famous enough to be DLy one day but then so did Cryuff...

Me 14, DL 14 following the sad untimely death of RBG

A few hits since the last update: Banali and Redstone (for Crowdsource), someone's old man (for DeathList), Ginsburg (for all of us).

EDIT: Oh, and Kerslake! I now have more hits than the DL has ever managed in a year.

QR: 18

CS: 18

DL: 14

11 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Ginsburg takes me up to a paltry 9 hits.

Kerslake takes me up to probably my maximum of 10 hits.

Me 15, DL 14 with the passing of the McCain matriarch 

McCain brings me to 9 hits but six of my top seven positions have gone with only Bob Barker surviving

Just reached 17 people on my personal list, I didn't hear of three of them dying, I was surprised Reddit didn't make a bigger fuss of Roberta McCain's death. 

08. Qaboos bin Said Al Said 1940 - 10 January 2020 (79 years old) First appearance

45. Terry Jones                       1942 - 21 January 2020 (77 years old) First appearance

05. Chris Doleman                  1961 - 28 January 2020 (58 years old) First appearance

18. John Andretti                    1963 - 30 January 2020 (56 years old) Second appearance

15. Kirk Douglas                      1916 - 5 February 2020 (103 years old)Third appearance

20. Henry Gray                         1925 - 17 February 2020 (95 years old) First appearance

16. Genesis B. P-Orridge        1950 - 14 March 2020   (70 years old)  First appearance

38. Jill Gascoine                      1937 - 28/29 April 2020(83 years old)  Second appearance

22. Sam Lloyd                          1963 - 30 April 2020        (56 years old) First appearance

28. Vera Lynn                           1917 - 18 June 2020      (103 years old) Third appearance*

30. Olivia De Havilland           1916 - 25 July 2020        (104 years old) Third appearance

06. Frankie Banali                   1951 - 20 August 2020    (68 years old) First appearance

17. Ruth Bader Ginsburg       1933 - 18 September 2020 (87 years old) First appearance

11. Lee Kerslake                     1947 - 19 September 2020 (73 years old) Second appearance

19. Bob Gibson                        1935 - 2 October 2020 (84 years old) First appearance

41. Eddie Van Helen               1955 - 6 October 2020 (65 years old) First appearance

13. Roberta McCain               1912 - 12 October 2020 (108 years old) Third appearance

One more and I'll beat my own personal record from last year. 

• Thanks 1