Ra Ra Rasputin

Joni Mitchell

14 minutes ago, Prophet said:

Worst Pick 2018.

Disagree. One of the living giants of music.Had a massive stroke 2 and a half years ago has smoked since she was 9 also. 

• Like 1

Well, I can't find a video of her smoking since 2013 but she is a 73-year-old smoker who has smoked for more than 50 years and lived life hard. She is not the worst pick on the list.

I mean, Kirk is still looking good. I wouldn't be surprised to see Joni go before Kirk. I do recognize that the background risk is ten times greater for Kirk than Joni but on an individual level it is all pretty much a guess.

Gascoigne is the worst choice on the list. Donald would have been a better choice or Kim.

• Like 1

This was a pick I had been pushing hard for, and I'll stand by it. The committee wisely held off on her for 2017, but she's very old for someone who's had the this kind of hard rockstar lifestyle, and she seemed to have almost died in 2015. We were told she would make a full recovery after her aneurysm/stroke (or whatever it was) and 2 years later when she went to Elton John's birthday party, she was in a wheelchair looking like she was in her mid-80s. She needed help just to stand up. She's barely been seen otherwise for nearly 3 years now. Obviously something is wrong; she would usually show up at events a few times per year prior to this.

• Like 1

Nowhere near close to one of the worst picks of 2018. Get the feeling either this year or 2019-2020 is the maximum for her given how old and frail she looked in recent photo's.  People like Dick Van Dyke,Honor Blackman and Mel Brooks who are still active and look fit in public seem far worse picks .Those 3 would surprise few if they one day join the ranks of Vera Lynn and Kirk Douglas to make the 100 club.

• Like 4

To add to the Joni Mitchell debate, I think she’s actually a decent pick. Maybe the disease she’s currently battling that we know about is only mental, but her brain aneurysm did a lot to her health to the point where she looks very frail and that I actually chose her for my shadow list because of that. I think of how Bruce Forsyth went from being very healthy to basically not seen in public at all because of his aneurysm, and he eventually died because of the toll it took on his health. Joni Mitchell wasn’t as healthy as Forsyth before she went into a coma, plus she’s a heavy smoker, so for those saying that she’s a bad pick I have to disagree with you...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

To add to the Joni Mitchell debate, I think she’s actually a decent pick. Maybe the disease she’s currently battling that we know about is only mental, but her brain aneurysm did a lot to her health to the point where she looks very frail and that I actually chose her for my shadow list because of that. I think of how Bruce Forsyth went from being very healthy to basically not seen in public at all because of his aneurysm, and he eventually died because of the toll it took on his health. Joni Mitchell wasn’t as healthy as Forsyth before she went into a coma, plus she’s a heavy smoker, so for those saying that she’s a bad pick I have to disagree with you...

I completely agree, and to add to this, it's the second year in a row we have a Canadian musician on the list (Gord Downie, 2017), unless I'm forgetting about somebody from 2016. That makes the list pretty interesting tbh.

Last month's news....but there is a bit of an argument about honoring her with a statue in her hometown of Saskatoon. It's going to happen soon, but because of her health, she is unable to travel there:

http://thestarphoenix.com/entertainment/local-arts/joni-mitchell-promenade-council-votes-unanimously-to-honour-iconic-musician-along-river-landing

• Like 1

On 14/01/2018 at 01:18, FixedBusiness said:

I completely agree, and to add to this, it's the second year in a row we have a Canadian musician on the list (Gord Downie, 2017), unless I'm forgetting about somebody from 2016. That makes the list pretty interesting tbh.

Fuck - when she goes does that mean Neil Young is next?

32 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Fuck - when she goes does that mean Neil Young is next?

There's a couple of good(ish) ones: 

Neil Young - Older, drugs and pretty much everything else has went into his system.

Gordon Lightfoot - Older

Burton Cummings - met him last year and he looks pretty bad imo

Avril Lavigne- illnesses?

Jacob Hoggard - singer of Hedley who were part of multiple accusations during the #MeToo movement.

Jann Arden - overweight 

There's also a couple of other older musicians like Paul Anka and Randy Bachman but I'm pretty sure they don't have any illnesses like the others seem/might have.

3 minutes ago, FixedBusiness said:

There's a couple of good(ish) ones: 

Neil Young - Older, drugs and pretty much everything else has went into his system.

Gordon Lightfoot - Older

Burton Cummings - met him last year and he looks pretty bad imo

Avril Lavigne- illnesses?

Jacob Hoggard - singer of Hedley who were part of multiple accusations during the #MeToo movement.

Jann Arden - overweight 

There's also a couple of other older musicians like Paul Anka and Randy Bachman but I'm pretty sure they don't have any illnesses like the others seem/might have.

I think Neil Peart was rumored to be ill. I think that was posted somewhere but can't remember where, so he could be a handy replacement...

• Like 1

Well, there's always Bieber.

On 13/05/2018 at 18:50, gcreptile said:

Last month's news....but there is a bit of an argument about honoring her with a statue in her hometown of Saskatoon. It's going to happen soon, but because of her health, she is unable to travel there:

http://thestarphoenix.com/entertainment/local-arts/joni-mitchell-promenade-council-votes-unanimously-to-honour-iconic-musician-along-river-landing

She gets her own section of a park:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/saskatoon-joni-mitchell-saskatchewan-canada/index.html

The article also links to a "viral" picture of her at one of her rare public appearances:

She's using a wheelchair now.

One of the commenters claims to know exactly what's wrong with her:

Yeah Johnny Mitchell she suffered from the infestation of medically modified organism Gmod are known as mcgillin's disease which is a highly controversial disease infestation of the whole planet Earth investigated if you don't believe me look it up the symptoms you probably have got some of yourself Nanobots are taking us over from inside out

The nanobots are coming! :shoot::rant::bat::2guns::shoot2:

• Haha 2

Graham Nash interviewed recently said he'd been see her and her recovery was continuing to the point he thought she'd make music again. 

So, she may sing before she croaks

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 13:47, gcreptile said:

She gets her own section of a park:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/saskatoon-joni-mitchell-saskatchewan-canada/index.html

The article also links to a "viral" picture of her at one of her rare public appearances:

She's using a wheelchair now.

Ironic that the picture of health embracing her in that shot is a recovering smackhead

John Belushi once famously said James Taylor changed his mind - until they met he assumed you couldn't be a junkie and boring at the same time!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Ironic that the picture of health embracing her in that shot is a recovering smackhead

John Belushi once famously said James Taylor changed his mind - until they met he assumed you couldn't be a junkie and boring at the same time!

Junkies tend to be far less interesting than they think they are 

2 hours ago, JR976evil said:

Junkies tend to be far less interesting than they think they are 

I'd guess Belushi had a bit of confirmation bias on the go there being a serial imbiber of many intoxicants he likely thought of his fellow party animals as decent types.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2018 at 21:26, FixedBusiness said:

Jann Arden - overweight 

She isn't even so overweight.

20 hours ago, Prophet said:

She isn't even so overweight.

Ah your right, mustve been thinking of an old picture I saw of her.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThereWillBeDeaths7 said:

75 years old today :birthday:

Is Willz asleep on the job?

• Haha 2

Just so someone knows I uttered a 'god dammit' out loud when I saw Mitchell had been updated, knowing her birthday was posted.  I'm sure that happens a lot with a few of you hoping to be 'first' with an obit.  You see the thread updated and you already know.  

• Like 1