Ra Ra Rasputin

Joni Mitchell

11 minutes ago, Toast said:

I only listened to Pet Sounds for the first time recently, and didn't get what all the fuss is about.  Thought it was pretty average.

As for Joni Mitchell, I can't listen to her, her voice is excruciating.  Older readers will remember the sound of a blackboard being wiped with a worn-out eraser.

Yeah, I get that.

I bought both many years ago out of curiosity.

I like them but don"t consider them to be milestones in music.

The problem with these kind of surveys is that there are millions more music listeners than Rolling Stone mag devotees.

It doesn"t speak for the majority.

• Like 2

I've listened to Pet Sounds and bar one song, God Only Knows, I struggle to remember much of it.

Actually I was going to go "Yeah I bet they didn't find room for Master of Puppets" but actually it's at 97th place on their list, so that's me shown up.

10 hours ago, msc said:

I've listened to Pet Sounds and bar one song, God Only Knows, I struggle to remember much of it.

Actually I was going to go "Yeah I bet they didn't find room for Master of Puppets" but actually it's at 97th place on their list, so that's me shown up.

Aw man, Caroline No is on that album and it's as good as God Only Knows IMHO

Ironically the act that I think over rated by Rolling Stone are The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St #14 - get outta here!!

I think in general this does a much better job representing all the different types of music out there, so I’d say it’s better than last time. Doesn’t mean it’s a good list though. And even though many of the drops are probably well deserved (many of the dropouts are compilations which never deserved a spot on the list in the first place), you still got records like Trout Mask Replica and Psychocandy that did not deserve to be dropped off the list. 
And I agree The Rolling Stones are quite overrated (always viewed them as a singles band anyways rather than an album artist), albums like London Calling and The Velvet Underground and Nico easily could’ve placed above Exile on Main Street

The Rolling Stone list mixes the predictable, the dull, and the laughable. It’s not improved by an obvious terror of including too much by old white rockers.

On a practical level, it’s far too long. With 500 choices there’s bound to be some ridiculous or embarrassing ones. Also I don’t think such a list should be “representative” or “inclusive.”

12 minutes ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

On a practical level, it’s far too long.

Yes, it is.  I wish they'd print a list, then I would go to the entries that interested me and read the commentaries.  But it's too much scrolling without an index of sorts.

At least it isn't a click-through slideshow.  That stops me reading a lot of stuff.

Sleater-Kinney :D

Fiona Apple, twice :huh::huh:

Kid A... @ #20! :lol:

Coldplay :o:(

Agree with MPFC and JR that Exile is overrated, much as I love it.

As a purist (ok, old fart) I'm not crazy about including soundtracks or compilations, even if it meant great bands like The Temptations wouldn't make it.

As a purist (ok, elitist snob) I'm gratified to see that all three Big Star albums are present.

3 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Sleater-Kinney :D

Fiona Apple, twice :huh::huh:

Kid A... @ #20! :lol:

Coldplay :o:(

Agree with MPFC and JR that Exile is overrated, much as I love it.

As a purist (ok, old fart) I'm not crazy about including soundtracks or compilations, even if it meant great bands like The Temptations wouldn't make it.

As a purist (ok, elitist snob) I'm gratified to see that all three Big Star albums are present.

Indeed - all THREE Big Stars is right. 

Harry Styles creeps into the lower reaches - making me wonder if it's old critics trying to look like they get the more recent acts or if he's got the all round quality of prime period solo George Michael. 

I think soundtracks and compilations that feature multiple artists (like the Indestructible Beat of Soweto or the Nuggets psychedelic compilation) are fine. It’s the single artist compilations that really should not be in there, though I can at least understand why something like Bob Marley’s Legend is included. And even if you’re a purist and don’t want to include compilations and soundtracks you still gotta include Curtis Mayfield’s Superfly in there. That’s a great album

7 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I think soundtracks and compilations that feature multiple artists (like the Indestructible Beat of Soweto or the Nuggets psychedelic compilation) are fine. It’s the single artist compilations that really should not be in there, though I can at least understand why something like Bob Marley’s Legend is included. And even if you’re a purist and don’t want to include compilations and soundtracks you still gotta include Curtis Mayfield’s Superfly in there. That’s a great album

A fair point but...

I once did a whole two hour radio show dedicated entirely to acts that never recorded an album - and we didn't struggle to fill it with great music. Robert Johnson (the original black blues musician not the geeky looking guitarist who was briefly popular in the late seventies) being a good case in point. King of the Delta Blues singers by Johnson is in that 500 list.

image.png.21f1a11e8495a6672469514e17ff24be.png

I had to learn how again. I couldn’t talk. Polio didn’t grab me like that, but the aneurysm took away a lot more, really. Took away my speech and my ability to walk. And, you know, I got my speech back quickly, but the walking I’m still struggling with.

Joni Mitchell in the Guardian today

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/oct/27/joni-mitchell-interview-archives-early-years-cameron-crowe

• Like 2

Time to dust this thread off (don't know that it's been posted anywhere else and even of it has, it should be in her own thread too).

Joni Mitchell has made a rare public appearance as she was awarded the Kennedy Center Honors alongside Bette Midler and Berry Gordy Jr. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59546478

No quotes in the piece from her but a couple of pics. I'm sure someone may be able to dig up more, but that's what I gleaned at lunchtime today.

Doesn't lool great IMO, face looks odd and walks with a stick.

Here with Berry Gordy Jr. (92)

GettyImages-1357356996.jpg.89631cb3ef2a339c38e681893a5ce2e6.jpg

4 hours ago, arghton said:

Doesn't lool great IMO, face looks odd and walks with a stick.

Here with Berry Gordy Jr. (92)

GettyImages-1357356996.jpg.89631cb3ef2a339c38e681893a5ce2e6.jpg

Berry Gordy Jr looks fantastic for his age.

• Like 1

Joni Mitchell and Bette Midler pick up Kennedy Center Honors - BBC News

She looks a strange colour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Joni Mitchell and Bette Midler pick up Kennedy Center Honors - BBC News

She looks a strange colour.

Not yellow enough yet.

19 minutes ago, Redrumours said:

Not yellow enough yet.

Agreed doesn`t look like jaundice or massively serious.Doesn`t look anaemic either. Can't figure what it could be but she certain looks a funny colour.Can see her making 80 though.

• Like 1

You really can't tell anything about a person's complexion from a photo on a screen.  Far too many variables.

• Like 2

Going to be very difficult for Spotify to resolve this without causing a major split one way or another. 

• Like 1