Rude Kid

Derby Dead Pool 2006

I was a bit pissed off too! You cancelled me out, I thought no-one else would come up with them either. This is my first year of entry after not getting my act together last year. I did managed three unique picks including two I thought looked a bit dodgy during last year and one that I only fear might come true. I'd have had five unique picks with Bronstein and Smyslov.

Ah, so it's you. :(

Gary Kasparov is an interesting choice. Relatively young and no known health issues, apart from being in Russian politics.

regards,

Hein

I was a bit pissed off too! You cancelled me out, I thought no-one else would come up with them either. This is my first year of entry after not getting my act together last year. I did managed three unique picks including two I thought looked a bit dodgy during last year and one that I only fear might come true. I'd have had five unique picks with Bronstein and Smyslov.

Ah, so it's you. :(

Gary Kasparov is an interesting choice. Relatively young and no known health issues, apart from being in Russian politics.

regards,

Hein

Yes Kasparov is there simply because I think russian politics is a very dangerous place to be. He's already been assaulted a couple of times. Hope it doesn't happen. I didn't want a list of people all over 70 or of names taken from the DL but I left it a bit late to be really creative.

I'm interested to see how it will go.

I got lucky... out of the six that I had planned as unique picks, only James Van Allen got picked by someone else...

I wonder how this team will fare, one based mostly arond picking elderly people off of genarians.com.

Also I noticed Bob Keeshan on the DDP... didn't he die like two or three years ago?

Wiki

When is something going to happen? It seems very quiet out there. Is it always like this? I thought people would be falling like flies.

Bronstein is one of my favourite players....His 200 Open Games is a classic .

I didn't know Smyslov was still alive !

I'm a very keen chess player...can't believe I didn't think of researching "old players".....in the 50s and 60s they all smoked like chimneys to relieve the pressure....I bet theres lots of cancer ridden players out there !

I wonder how this team will fare, one based mostly arond picking elderly people off of genarians.com.

Also I noticed Bob Keeshan on the DDP... didn't he die like two or three years ago?

Wiki

I think they might struggle with a UK obit for some of them,

I'm surprised that Erich Topp never got an obit anywhere in the press.

Just shows you can never tell.

I was hoping Clarence Ray Allen would be a unique pick, but at least I put my joker on him, as opposed to the other two. Otherwise, I expected Rolt & Pym would be unique. Can't wait to see how this all develops!

I'm a very keen chess player...can't believe I didn't think of researching "old players".....in the 50s and 60s they all smoked like chimneys to relieve the pressure....I bet theres lots of cancer ridden players out there !

Well most of the heavy drinking and smoking chess playing legends have died.

Bronstein has been in poor health for a few years but still gets around and hadn't got any worse last time I heard, Smyslov frail of late but he's always looked after himself. Bent Larsen has had some health problems recently, he's famous as one of the men beaten 6-0 by Bobby Fischer.

Speaking of old chess players there is also Andor Lilienthal (born 5 May 1911) who will undoubtably get obituaries as he beat legends Capablanca and Alekhine before the second world war. Last I heard he was still in pretty good health, fairly recent photos of him show he's still built like an ox. One for two or three years time maybe.

some people have already scored havnt they. Just not on the scoreboard yet. Bill Skate was picked by two people i think . . and hes gone.

some people have already scored havnt they. Just not on the scoreboard yet. Bill Skate was picked by two people i think . . and hes gone.

Bill Skate hasn't yet got the required UK obit, at least I couldn't find one.

I'm sure the broadsheets will probably do so, in good time.

Jack Lemmon's another, like Keeshan, who has died but is still on there and Robert Carr is listed twice, Martin Landau spelt wrong.

There's a bit of info I can help with, but I'm holding off to let things settle down first.

Andor Lilienthal (born 5 May 1911) who will undoubtably get obituaries as he beat legends Capablanca and Alekhine

I take my hat off to you....never heard of him...and I should have done !

He's got to be on my list for next year (if he gets that far ! )

Bill Skate has indeed gone - awaiting UK obit.

I'll correct the errors with Keeshan, Lemmon, Carr and Landau ASAP, and thanks for pointing those out - any others that anyone's spotted?

Yes! When I typed out Ariel Sharon, it came out as Shane McGowan :D:old:

I think they might struggle with a UK obit for some of them,

I'm surprised that Erich Topp never got an obit anywhere in the press.

Just shows you can never tell.

According to uboat.net, the German Press is extremely hesitant to post obituaries for German Commanders.

I took my chances putting Reinhard Hardegen on Hartlepool... I was just curious...

When is something going to happen? It seems very quiet out there. Is it always like this? I thought people would be falling like flies.

Spooky.

Go Fish, one of the teams with Skate look a serious contender with six unique names, one of which is a Joker - Lauren Hester - and looks a dead cert (or cert dead), should get a US obit too. Class entry

Yup. Bronstein is one of those world championship candidates who just failed to make it, because Fischer interfered. One of the greatests.
Boris Spassky also lives.

regards,

Hein

Speaking of old chess players there is also Andor Lilienthal (born 5 May 1911) who will undoubtably get obituaries as he beat legends Capablanca and Alekhine before the second world war. Last I heard he was still in pretty good health, fairly recent photos of him show he's still built like an ox. One for two or three years time maybe.

I'm also keeping a watch on Korchnoi, Timman and Benko.

regards,

Hein

Korchnoi is quite mad...however wouldn't rate him as a likely death .

I certainly wouldn't pick Timman (unless you have insider info...aids ? ) ....I actually saw him (Brighton I think) in early 80s at the British Champs (we were both spectating ) . He had 2 groupies with him (1 on each arm) ...and clearly was enjoying a full and active life in those days .

Benko is knocking on a bit tho isn't he ? Might be worth keeping an eye on him...

This deadpool is accepting entries until 11.59pm on Friday 6th. It's worth a look if you were busy at New Year and missed the deadline. :rip:

I can't quite work out whether or not it's necessary to register with LiveJournal to enter (probably not), but even so it's free and quite easy to do.