Sir Creep

Plants: The Other Life Form

Seems I've come across a gap in our DL pages where we have forgotten our brothers and sisters of the world of flora and fauna. Certainly the odd story about some 1000-yr old tree getting knicked, or Mrs. Moistbridge's prize rose garden being destroyed, etc etc. And with that...

Children at Napier Central School (Hawke's Bay, NZ) are asking "who would do such a thing?" after six trees on the grounds were intentionally poisoned. Holes were drilled into the bases of at least six trees including native pohutukawa and puriri - but the deliberate damage was discovered only when....[o]ne parent saw half-inch holes around the base. The trees have stood along the school's fence line for about 60 years.

SC

• Like 1

Conclusive proof, I think, of the return of DLs Stanley Unwin Banshees Scream Esq.

• Like 2

A Perthshire yew tree, believed to be one of the oldest in Europe, has started changing sex.

The Fortingall Yew, reputed to be up to 5,000 years old, has started sprouting berries on one of its upper branches - something only female trees do.

Now if humans could do that, how many would sign up for an automatic sex change at a certain age?

• Like 1

A Perthshire yew tree, believed to be one of the oldest in Europe, has started changing sex.

The Fortingall Yew, reputed to be up to 5,000 years old, has started sprouting berries on one of its upper branches - something only female trees do.

I know that tree! Well, I paid it a visit. When asked about its health, it chose to remain silent.

Now if humans could do that, how many would sign up for an automatic sex change at a certain age?

[voice=Mrs. Entity]Some animals do that, 's called sequential hermaphroditism. E.g. the Green swordtail (Xiphophorus hellerii) and the Common slipper shell (Crepidula fornicata). I wouldn't like that.[/voice]

• Like 1

The most famous tree in movie history?

And a BBC obit to boot!

Single tree perhaps.

​But I'll throw these trees in the mixMV5BMTM0MDEyNDQ1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDQx

The oak tree featured at the end of the Shawshank Redemption has blown down.

200801458_1280x720.jpg

​Get busy livin or get busy dyin. Looks like it chose the latter.

One of the last critically endangered woodlands in Sydney's south faces the chop within days to provide temporary parking space for WestConnex machinery, opponents say. The bulk of the 1.87 hectares of remnant forest fringing the M5 motorway and Canterbury Golf Club may fall under bulldozers as soon as Wednesday. The woodland is part of just 7 per cent of the original Cooks River/Castlereagh Ironbark forest that remains,.

SC

Number three: The Larch

A woman has been killed and five others injured after a tree fell on a wedding party in California.

A four-year-old girl was said to be in a critical condition with head injuries after the large eucalyptus fell unexpectedly, trapping several people who had gathered under the tree to take pictures.

SC

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/woman-killed-5-injured-tree-falls-wedding-party-california-a7483131.html

• Like 1

One of the USA's 'most famous trees', the Pioneer Cabin Tree, a giant sequoia in California's Calveras Big Trees State Park fell as a result of the strongest storm to hit the area in more than a decade.

• Sad 1

if not its been mass murder in sheffield http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-38012189

That was last year but there's more come. Having failed to stop Brexit massed ranks of Guardian readers are hurriedly tying yellow ribbons to trees to stop their axing.

One of the USA's 'most famous trees', the Pioneer Cabin Tree, a giant sequoia in California's Calveras Big Trees State Park fell as a result of the strongest storm to hit the area in more than a decade.

Actually that sucks. I knew what tree it was before opening the link, it was pictured many times as you may imagine. Oh well we can grow another in 500 years.

SC

Actually that sucks. I knew what tree it was before opening the link, it was pictured many times as you may imagine. Oh well we can grow another in 500 years.

SC

Just don't make a tunnel through it.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2016 at 16:03, DevonDeathTrip said:

The oak tree featured at the end of the Shawshank Redemption has blown down.

200801458_1280x720.jpg

Well let's not miss out on a good money-making opportunity!

'Shawshank' tree merchandise made from the wood of the huge oak tree -- that fell over after severe storm damage -- will be on sale Saturday in Mansfield, Ohio. Items from the fallen tree include key chains and magnets ($40), mini rock hammers ($85), bottle openers ($130), and shadow boxes with an inscription of Andy's note to Red ($500).
SC

Meh!

Well, why not.  I've got a bowl made from a tree in my garden that died.

On 6/17/2017 at 13:51, Davey Jones' Locker said:

This German bloke is making lots of money by spouting a load of bollocks by claiming trees feel pain, have relationships, etc:

http://www.dw.com/en/trees-have-sex-feel-pain-says-german-forester/a-39096605

I know as a FACT a few trees around where I live have had sex.
SC

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I know as a FACT a few trees around where I live have had sex.
SC

They used to but they have turned over a new leaf.

• Haha 1

A tree crashed down on a popular religious festival on the Portuguese island of Madeira on Tuesday, killing 12 people and injuring 52 others, officials said. The tree fell while a large crowd was gathered near the island's capital of Funchal as part of the Nossa Senhora do Monte festival. 

It's Madeira's biggest annual festivity and was being held on Monday and Tuesday, drawing large crowds to a church on Funchal's outskirts. Local media reports said the tree was an oak that was more than 200 years old.

SC

• Like 1
  • Sad 1