Sir Creep

Plants: The Other Life Form

I had a similar gift, Chilli seeds they came with a coconut based media to plant them in. Subsequently I have found out that ground coffee residue is a similar medium for the growth. I'm drinking so much coffee in lockdown and I do like chillies.

• Like 1

On 15/06/2021 at 03:54, Bentrovato said:

Each to their own. But you cannot even eat or smoke the fucker. Single houseplant sells for £14,000 after frenzied online bidding war (msn.com)

Interesting, seeing as you’d be unable to sell living things on eBay or other auction sites here in the US.  That wasn’t the case about 18 years ago when I bought 6 plants of the world’s hottest pepper for my garden.  But the next year I went to get more and the policy changed.

SC

A long-protected pecan tree, which predates Georgia becoming a state, will soon be cut down.

The town of Braselton announced Monday the 300-year-old tree at Mulberry Park has died and has been deemed a safety hazard. Work to remove the tree will begin the week of February 14.

Town Manager Jennifer Scott said the Braselton Visitors Bureau Authority will plant a new pecan tree in its place with a Arbor Day ceremony on April 29.

"Maybe the town won't make the same fucking stupid decision in the year 2322."
SC

pecan-tree-1643731388.png

A man in his 60s has died after apparently eating a toxic gloriosa bulb, which resembles a Japanese mountain yam, the Miyazaki Prefectural Government announced on April 14.

It is the second gloriosa poisoning death in Japan since 2012. About half of people poisoned by toxic plants in the country are aged 60 or older. The health ministry warned people not to eat plants that they cannot absolutely confirm are edible.

SC

The Hardy Tree has fallen. Named for the author Thomas Hardy, who, as an architects assistant, organised gravestones to be moved to the base of said tree, when the graveyard of St. Pancras' Old Church was destroyed to accommodate the extension of the Midland railway.

OIP.oDEtfqwAVUP1NEriZ92WWwHaJ4?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

Tree.jpg

It was undermined by a storm earlier in the year, and had been fenced off after being attacked by a fungus in 2014.

• Like 1

A 2-year-old child was killed in the Sonoma County community of Occidental on Wednesday by a falling tree. The toddler was one of at least two people who died in the storm that hit Northern California this week.

SC

A woman died after a tree fell on her Saturday evening, according to the Sacramento Fire Department. The woman was unhoused and living in a tent when the tree fell on her.

Apparently being homeless wasn’t bad enough. 

SC

• Like 1

A woman has died after a 20m tree branch fell onto her car as she drove on the Illawarra Highway in NSW.

The woman was driving at Burrawang in the Southern Highlands about 4.30pm on Saturday when she was killed.

• Like 1

More than 100 trees felled in Plymouth city centre for reasons which escape me.

An arborist has died after a tree they were working on fell in Christchurch’s Hagley Park.

The person, who was working for Treetech, is understood to have been high up in the tree when it fell at about 9.50am on Monday.

SC

• Like 1

I am irrationally angry about this tree - it’s an absolutely mindless thing to do.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

I am irrationally angry about this tree - it’s an absolutely mindless thing to do.

As with far too many things these days, the mindless cruelty is the point.

What sort of cunt do you have to be to look at that beautiful tree in all its majesty and think “yeah, I’m gonna fuck it up for lols”? FFS.

• Like 3

A 16 year old kid has been arrested. I don't know, what is this world coming to?

I think that's the first time I've non-sarcastically used that phrase. Must be getting old.

49 minutes ago, BuffaloPhil said:

A 16 year old kid has been arrested. I don't know, what is this world coming to?

I think that's the first time I've non-sarcastically used that phrase. Must be getting old.

Pound to a penny he's fuck-all to do with it, or a best (worst?) a minor player. No way a 16 year old kid has done that on his own (or of his own volition).

Bit aggressive.

Screenshot_2024-01-09_at_15_21_15.thumb.png.b29c41ee1157738c18c35b03a8f94e13.png

• Facepalm 1