JR976evil

Barry Norman

I see Barry Norman's live show at the Plaza in Stockport has been cancelled for the second time this year due to his being hospitalised, I had a ticket to see him in February but was cancelled on account of the flu. Much as I wish for him to make a full recovery he could be worth keeping an eye on, is 82 now

His pickled onions are good, imho.

Just checking that's not a euphemism??

• Like 1

Ah, but I got here first, it's now a trilogy of posts, in the style of Star Wars or Back To The Future.

Now, turning to Werner Herzog...

• Like 2

And its goodnight from him...

I remember when Film 75 became Film 76 and I thought 'witchcraft'. Seemed wrong. So glad he pegged it then.

A guest on BBC says he died following a 2 year battle with lung cancer.

OK I know nothing of him but I've now read up on him.  
Just wondering if he was a good film critic?  I know our American lot has a couple decent ones and a couple I prefer to ignore, given their track record.  I suppose that is a matter of personal taste, as are the films themselves.  e.g. I found Roger Ebert more spot on than his pal Gene Siskel, who when they differed on films I liked I almost invariably sided with Ebert's analysis.  Maybe it was Siskel's brain tumour what made him say silly things.

Anyway, just wondered if Mr. Norman was actually good at his job or just happened to do it a long time.
Of course now it's all gone online and Rotten Tomatoes etc that ilk.  Tough profession.  Lots of online pretenders who took a film class and fancy they can pontificate.

SC

3 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Just wondering if he was a good film critic?  I know our American lot has a couple decent ones and a couple I prefer to ignore, given their track record.  I suppose that is a matter of personal taste, as are the films themselves.  e.g. I found Roger Ebert more spot on than his pal Gene Siskel, who when they differed on films I liked I almost invariably sided with Ebert's analysis.  Maybe it was Siskel's brain tumour what made him say silly things.

Anyway, just wondered if Mr. Norman was actually good at his job or just happened to do it a long time.
Of course now it's all gone online and Rotten Tomatoes etc that ilk.  Tough profession.  Lots of online pretenders who took a film class and fancy they can pontificate.

SC

Yeah he was pretty well respected, became something of a national treasure over time. Had a catchphrase attributed to him 'and why not?' though he denied ever having said it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

In broad terms, Barry Norman was Britain's Roger Ebert...

• Like 5

Yeah he was the best known film critic in Britain.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

Yeah he was the best known film critic in Britain.

That surely seemed to be the case.  I'd have enjoyed hearing him discuss films in real time back in the day.

SC

Never heard of him, doubt he was as good as Claudia Winkleman. 

RM

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

That surely seemed to be the case.  I'd have enjoyed hearing him discuss films in real time back in the day.

SC

There is probably some old videos of him on youtube.

• Like 1

RIP. Always enjoyed watching his show and his dry sense of humour made him more watchable.

• Like 1

Looks like we are having lots of deaths at age 83, with John Noakes, Manuel Noriega, Brian Cant, and now Barry Norman. RIP

Watch out Gay Byrne...

52 minutes ago, themaninblack said:

In broad terms, Barry Norman was Britain's Roger Ebert...

Was going to say just that in reply!

38 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

Yeah, Barry Norman was the best of the British critics, by far. He and Ebert also a great respect for the other, from what I can recall.

I refused to watch Film ...... after Barry Norman retired in  1999.  Nobody can review a film like him

RIP

• Like 2

Johnathan Ross used to host a while back and it was shite.Cant stand Mark Kermode either!

Lol at the Mail 59d37141527031ed589b4405577ffbe7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1