maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

On 5/10/2016 at 13:34, msc said:

I know my history here, he gets dropped for 2017 after doing nothing of note all year, and promptly snuffs it around April 2017. It's the Deathlist way.

On 5/10/2016 at 13:31, maryportfuncity said:

In other news Robert M Pirsig's Deathlist thread has gathered four posts - most recent being 2 Jan - and currently languishes very low down this years list of 50 picks

Very belated half-smug reply: sometimes, predictions go swimmingly.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Jim Marrs, former newspaper columnist, author and conspiracy theorist, has died aged 73.

Was a reserve for my Poker Deadpool team. I rejected him for his obitability. After my non-obits of Michel Delpech and Jackie Storrar in 2016, maybe I've erred on the wrong side this year.

9 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Jim Marrs, former newspaper columnist, author and conspiracy theorist, has died aged 73.

Bloody Sod ruins my old joke about how the JFK conspiracy seemed able to bump off Popes and Mafia dons, seemingly, but were unable to take out the author of one nutty book...

1 hour ago, Thatcher said:

I just heard this guy on Coast To Coast AM radio like 3 months ago.  I remember his surname, quite obviously.
SC

Jan Morris, possibly the world's most notable nonagenarian, transgendered, Welsh travel writer, was on Radio 4 tonight gasping about New York and generally sounding in need of an oxygen tank

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Jan Morris, possibly the world's most notable nonagenarian, transgendered, Welsh travel writer, was on Radio 4 tonight gasping about New York and generally sounding in need of an oxygen tank

Aye, you spotted it too - wheezy and obitable, eh?

On 03/08/2017 at 19:21, Thatcher said:

Wrote a half decent book on UFOs along with the Kennedy stuff.

His The Alarming History of Medicine was published in 1993, and he followed this with The Alarming History of Sex.

Sometimes bits of a persons Wiki just stand out at you.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

On his birthday...

He had a bit of a contretemps in the 1980s with Ursula le Guin about women's place in FSF, I vaguely recall.

I've read one of his books years back: Hothouse. Impenetrable shite.

RIP, though.

• Like 1

Oh well, my Life of Brian theme team wasn't turned in this year. :(

On 8/3/2017 at 20:21, Thatcher said:

Thanks for posting this. He was well-known to be able to listen to many theories and give them consideration, thus openning up taboo/outside of the box theories to further conversation and anaylsis. R.I.P. 

• Like 1

Gordon Williams, British author whose novel The Siege of Trencher's Farm was turned into the controversial film Straw Dogs, has died aged 83. His other work includes From Scenes Like These which was shortlisted for the Booker Prize in 1969, as well as ghost authoring the autobiographies of footballers Bobby Moore and Terry Venables. 

Edit: The Telegraph obituary.

Hold off on awarding party pooper points for Brian Aldiss.

Guardian and BBC obits saying he died on the morning after his birthday.

• Like 1

Seems the family have rowed back on their tweet. :D

7 hours ago, msc said:

He had a bit of a contretemps in the 1980s with Ursula le Guin about women's place in FSF, I vaguely recall.

I've read one of his books years back: Hothouse. Impenetrable shite.

RIP, though.

I'm not really a sci-fi man, but Aldiss' Super-Toys Last All Summer Long and Other Stories of Future Time was actually a very good read.  I tackled it a few years ago when I was going through my post-apocalyptic fiction phase.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

I'm not really a sci-fi man, but Aldiss' Super-Toys Last All Summer Long and Other Stories of Future Time was actually a very good read.  I tackled it a few years ago when I was going through my post-apocalyptic fiction phase.   

I tended to prefer to go to Wyndham and John Christopher for my post-apocalyptic British fiction.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Brian Aldiss, British author notable for his science fiction works and DDP pick, has died aged 92.

Edit: The Telegraph, Express, Guardian, BBC obituaries.

This is a massive miss for my theme team but a hit for me in ABC and Generations. Read two of his books Hothouse and Earthworks. He did not have an easy style but was very good at telling everyone how good he was. Neil Gaiman got obit duties on the Today programme this morning.

On 11/28/2015 at 08:51, maryportfuncity said:

Terri Roberts who wrote a book about her son shooting a few kids in an Amish school and the forgiveness and bonding between the Amish and herself that followed has announced her breast cancer has spread to her lungs. UK obit chances marginal IMHO.

Link to her book: http://www.amazon.com/Terri-Roberts/e/B00MJV0GUC

Dead. Appeared on Chorizo's podium-place DDP team last year; 6 teams this year await a QO.

1 hour ago, Death Impends said:

Dead. Appeared on Chorizo's podium-place DDP team last year; 6 teams this year await a QO.

Yeah, good luck for the 6 teams who picked him. I have my doubts on her obitality.