maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

12 minutes ago, msc said:

Thomas Keneally, writer of Schindler's Ark (Schindler's fucking List) for that.

Just answering any daft "oh will he obit?" questions ahead of time.

Yes, I wanted to add him to my longlist only to find out that he was already on it. Then I went, 'Oh, that guy'. Probably even Death List worthy - a bit like Robert Pirsig.

Edit: Eh, definitely Death List worthy, more so than Robert Pirsig.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Yes, I wanted to add him to my longlist only to find out that he was already on it. Then I went, 'Oh, that guy'. Probably even Death List worthy - a bit like Robert Pirsig.

Edit: Eh, definitely Death List worthy, more so than Robert Pirsig.

And more so than Julian May dammit!

Sara Craven, a British author who wrote under the pen name Anne Ashurst, has died aged 79. She wrote over 80 romance novels, served as Chairman of the Romantic Novelists' Association (2011-2013) and also won the 1997 series of Mastermind. 

Edward Herman, co-authored the 1988 blockbuster "Manufacturing Consent", with Noam Chomsky.  Dead at 92.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/matt-taibbi-on-the-death-of-edward-herman-w511766

7 hours ago, charon said:

Edward Herman, co-authored the 1988 blockbuster "Manufacturing Consent", with Noam Chomsky.  Dead at 92.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/matt-taibbi-on-the-death-of-edward-herman-w511766

Did a bang-up job on Gilmore Girls too!

download.jpg

15 hours ago, Handrejka said:

That's a shame. I used to like those when I was little.

Used to read them to my daughter.

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Used to read them to my daughter.

Still do.... except now it's 'with' rather than 'to'.  :(

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Sad loss! Though he'd been ill for a while, so not entirely surprising.

Here's an interview from Ghosts and Scholars archive with Gordon about his M.R. James influences.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Didn't realise he was still alive.

Our primary school teacher read us The Giant Under The Snow when we were in (what is now called) year 5.

William H. Gass, an American novelist, essayist and critic, has died aged 93. He was mentioned here in the Ideas and Possibilities For 2015 thread and is a DDP pick. He received two profiles in The Guardian (here and here) and so presumably will have the honour of an obituary from them.

Edit: Daily Mail, Guardian obituaries.

Even a DDP top 10 pick, for Buckets Of Blood. Not gonna be much of a scoreboard shuffler assuming he QOs, but they've done quite well for a team no one's really talked about.

EDIT: Mail obit

1 minute ago, Death Impends said:

Even a DDP top 10 pick, for Buckets Of Blood. Not gonna be much of a scoreboard shuffler assuming he QOs, but they've done quite well for a team no one's really talked about.

Yes, Bucket of Bloood is going to finish fifth and if everything stays this way I'm finishing sixth. The difference between BoB and Drollercoaster was the latter's inabilty to cash in the joker, which doomed my possibilities to make the top five. Anyway it would be a good result, expecially for a debut.

Yeah, drollercoaster will be better next year. Which will be a tough one, given lack of Spade: arguably a dozen sides are in the mix, before knowing teams etc.

On 12/7/2017 at 08:39, Thatcher said:

William H. Gass, an American novelist, essayist and critic, has died aged 93. He was mentioned here in the Ideas and Possibilities For 2015 thread and is a DDP pick. He received two profiles in The Guardian (here and here) and so presumably will have the honour of an obituary from them.

Belsen was a Gass

(Edit one week later:  Tough crowd.  That was goddamn funny as hell, period.  At least if you took the time to read the obit).
SC

On 9/19/2017 at 05:54, msc said:

Still no QO for Qureshi, but he did get one for the Alt Obits pool. This puts (our?) Cancerous Hatred 90 points ahead of the unstoppable G. Tierney with 3 and a bit months left.

Also, it tells me I heavily overestimated the fame criteria for the game!

OK so it appears I forgot to update.
Being my solo hit for DDP despite no obit, and he being in Houston, I looked and found the cemetery where his memorial service was held.  Knowing I had to drive right past it on the way home, I stopped a few weeks ago to get a photo of his headstone for y'all, figured it would be amusing enough.  So I talk to the person at the front desk who of course starts in why I want to see the grave, lol I say I knew Nabeel Qureshi from his preaching and just wanted to pay respects.  So after going through a couple more people I finally get the skinny: "Sir (Creep), he indeed had a memorial service here, but the family took him to the east coast (of the U.S.) and that is where he is buried."
Oh well, I tried.  A for effort.  Stalking the dead, it's what I do.

SCreep

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Clifford Irving, author and investigative reporter, has died aged 87. Perhaps best known for the Howard Hughes hoax.

I thought this guy was already gone. He wrote a great book about the 20th century's best art forger Elmyr de Hory. It was called Fake. Orson Welles' film of the same name was based on it.

• Like 1

One of those names I often felt like adding for a bit of variety to one of my deadpool entries but never found the space. F for Fake might star a down on his luck past his prime Orson Welles, but it is still a great film by anyone else's standards.

"I promised to tell you the truth for an hour. For the last 17 minutes I've been lying my head off."

14 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Clifford Irving, author and investigative reporter, has died aged 87. Perhaps best known for the Howard Hughes hoax.

Though a librarian, I'm not a huge reader....but I read 'Fake' and was simply fascinated how everyone bought in....it was a different world for sure back then and less 'fake news' antenna did we sport.  I mean, what a naive world when people believe BS....hey wait....
Good read, along with following up with Malcolm Caldwell's 'Blink' and that ilk.
SC