maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

I think I wrote of that before. Or am I confusing her with someone else...

22 hours ago, Sean said:

Another name to add to my prospective list!Just brilliant.

Please don't tell us you are going to offer up Shameless 3.0.  Even gcr has given up the ghost on that.  

On 7/27/2016 at 01:28, Death Impends said:

Mystery author Bill Crider has a "very aggressive form of carcinoma". Per his Wiki, two of his novels were co-written with Today Show weatherman Willard Scott, of all people.

One for the dead pools with very lax obit standards.

Entered hospice care earlier this month.

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

A graduate of Atherton High School and the University of Louisville, Grafton worked as a screenwriter before writing the first of her popular Kinsey Millhone novels, “A is for Alibi,” in 1982. She published her most recent book in the series, “Y is for Yesterday,” earlier this year.

Bit of a kicker for those excitedly waiting for Z is for Zebra.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

Bit of a kicker for those excitedly waiting for Z is for Zebra.

Was previously announced as Z Is For Zero.....still not reading it...

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Ah, I've probably just spoiled the twist! :P

"Read the A-Z the other day. Turns out, the zebra did it."

A 90s comic but I forget which one.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

You won't be getting the chance to read it.

True Crime writer Helen Garner is now ready to die happily. However there's no hidden talk about cancer à la Thomas Keneally in this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/dec/30/helen-garner-i-used-to-feel-spiteful-because-i-never-won-prizes-now-i-can-die-happy

Now that Sue Grafton has left for the mortuary one last time, maybe that wannabe writer Lawrence Block can follow suit.   

He is nearly 2 years older than Grafton was and his health just hasn't been the best since his near fatal fall some months back in which he cracked his hip, followed by less than successful surgery.

On 6/5/2017 at 12:49, ObakeFilter said:

Helen Dunmore, who revealed having cancer not so long ago, died at 64.

http://www.bloodaxebooks.com/news?articleid=712

Helen Dunmore has won the Costa Book Award for poetry posthumously, six months after dying of cancer.

The late poet and novelist was awarded the major literary prize for her tenth and final collection Inside The Wave.

It includes the poem Hold Out Your Arms, which was written shortly before she died in June at the age of 64.
SC

• Thanks 1

Wrong thread per se, but I can live with this decision.

The owner of New York’s famed Strand Bookstore has died, according to an obituary posted online.

Fred Bass died Wednesday morning at the age of 89, the obituary in Publishers Weekly says.

Bass was a New York native whose father started the iconic bookstore in 1927. The shop went on to become the most famous bookstore in modern day New York -- instantly recognizable to the legions of city dwellers who have filled its narrow corridors stacked with “18 miles of books.”
SC

Note: Found it amusing 'he died according to an obituary...'  ya think?   I know, there's always the Bob Hope mantra....but this was rather poorly worded and amusing (to me) nonetheless.

Tricia Walker, a British author who wrote Benedict's Brother, has died aged 53. She is the daughter of Peter Walker, the author of the Constable series which were the inspiration for the TV series Heartbeat.

On 10/02/2017 at 14:01, Bibliogryphon said:

Raymond Briggs receives Lifetime Achievment award from the Books Trust. Looks terrible unlike my DDP pick, the much older Shirley Hughes who seems positively beaming

I hadn't realised that Raymond Briggs was still alive but anyway :birthday: to him 84 today. 

• Like 1

Oooh, he's in my 30/30 team which I haven't got round to submitting yet.  Must get on that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I hadn't realised that Raymond Briggs was still alive but anyway :birthday: to him 84 today. 

He did a great Desert Island Discs where he, as the great children's book Snowman author, tried to explain politely that he did not like bloody children, had never wanted any and barely put up with those in his family and only did so in the knowledge he did not have to take them home. Very funny.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Shite books and an even worse TV adaptation.  Willl never go to Provence just in case I bump into some of his fatuous and vacuous friends.

• Like 1

Ursula K. Le Guin dead aged 88.

• Sad 1

Just now, Phantom of the Midway said:

Ursula K. Le Guin dead aged 88.

Ooh, ...huge... and sad.

• Sad 1