maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

Didn't see that coming.

Horror writer Jack Ketchum died yesterday aged 71.

Prominent Nicaragua poet Claribel Alegria has died aged 93.

46 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

SF writer Harlen Ellison has stopped signing books. 

That's shocking news. He signed books in the first place?

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 01:28, Death Impends said:

Mystery author Bill Crider has a "very aggressive form of carcinoma". Per his Wiki, two of his novels were co-written with Today Show weatherman Willard Scott, of all people.

One for the dead pools with very lax obit standards.

Sounds very much like Bill Crider has died:

10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Sounds very much like Bill Crider has died:

From Dec 7, 2017:
"I was heartbroken to read this weekend that my friend Bill Crider has entered hospice care." 

Damn...a pretty big miss for ALL of us in whatever DP he passes muster.  I"m pretty pissed off at myself for the oversight.  OTOH, 'entering hospice' or 'entered hospice' are certainly search terms I run through the matrix, and this didn't pop up.  What gives?

SC

4 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

From Dec 7, 2017:
"I was heartbroken to read this weekend that my friend Bill Crider has entered hospice care." 

Damn...a pretty big miss for ALL of us in whatever DP he passes muster.  I"m pretty pissed off at myself for the oversight.  OTOH, 'entering hospice' or 'entered hospice' are certainly search terms I run through the matrix, and this didn't pop up.  What gives?

SC

Not really, considering that a certain amount of people chose him for the deathlist cup, and that he was on three death race teams...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

From Dec 7, 2017:

SC

While I admit I didn't find him (my research was shit in December), he wasn't totally unknown to deadpoolers.

Unique for Heef in the DDP.

Picked by several of us in the Deathrace (of course, lived too long to score them any points).

And like half the teams this round of the Cup chose him.

27 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Not really, considering that a certain amount of people chose him for the deathlist cup, and that he was on three death race teams...

Yes I see that.  Well good on them.  Still surprised I can't trust Google LOL  :mellow:

Never heard of him.  That's my excuse for not picking him.  :)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Toast said:

Never heard of him.  That's my excuse for not picking him.  :)

I've never heard of 80% of my picks.  ok 60%

The Doctor Who fandom are raising funds for writer Tommy Donbavand by releasing a book callled A Second Target for Tommy. Tommy is facing cancer for a second time. Stephen Moffett had donated the synopsis of The Day of the Doctor which was written when they still hoped to get Christopher Ecclestone back.

The clock is ticking for my pick Emma Hannigan:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/author-emma-hannigan-says-her-cancer-treatment-options-are-exhausted-1.3395378?mode=amp

March will decide if my team is a contender...

By the way, Emma's story is very sad. She has been almost painfully optimistic - until now.

19 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

The clock is ticking for my pick Emma Hannigan:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/author-emma-hannigan-says-her-cancer-treatment-options-are-exhausted-1.3395378?mode=amp

March will decide if my team is a contender...

By the way, Emma's story is very sad. She has been almost painfully optimistic - until now.

Fought cancer 10 times, Christ on a cock!

The cycling thread clearly says 'professional' cyclists.  Since this guy cycled whilst being a freelance author, here goes...

An Austin cyclist who had written a book about how supplemental testosterone affected his bike racing performance died Saturday after he was struck by a truck while changing a flat tire on the side of the road.  Andrew Tilin, who wrote “The Doper Next Door,” was riding with a group of cyclists from Grupo VOP, a cycling club, along RM 620 when he pulled off the road to fix a flat tire on his bicycle.

A pickup and car collided nearby, sending the truck spinning into Tilin, who was a freelance writer and author. Tilin later died at Round Rock Medical Center.
SC

Penny Vincenzi, the best-selling author you've never read but have seen all her books advertised on train station platforms, dead at 78.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Penny Vincenzi, the best-selling author you've never read but have seen all her books advertised on train station platforms, dead at 78.

I was about to say I had, but looking at her bibliography I don't recognise any of the titles.  Obviously made a deep impression.

I'm a bibliophile and I certainly haven't, though looking at her CV, it appears to be romance novels so obviously not her target audience.

15 minutes ago, Toast said:

I was about to say I had, but looking at her bibliography I don't recognise any of the titles.  Obviously made a deep impression.

I've read The Best of Times. It was enjoyable enough but nothing special, it didn't make me want to read anything more by her. 

I've read some of hers and economics is usually the theme. Hedge funds, the Lloyd's crash, etc. I wouldn't say they are solely "romance" novels at all, it's incidental.

'Beloved' author Penny Vincenzi

Took me a moment to realise they weren't mixing her up with Toni Morrison...

• Like 2