maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

8 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

@Paul Bearer didn't we have a rule some time back about posting links in English so we could read them?

Edit: if we were so inclined...

Think it was more a common sense thing (and a Sir Creep bear bug) but some folk worthy of mention - like the non-Brit World Cup players - just don't get English references, sadly.

There's always Google Translate...not great I'll admit, but anyone who tries to understand teenagers these days should have no problem sorting out what the article says.

OP takes two minutes to do that and it is more than helpful to the rest of us.

14 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

@Paul Bearer didn't we have a rule some time back about posting links in English so we could read them?

Edit: if we were so inclined...

@YoungWillz, I believe there was. No point in posting about a death in a foreign language if no one can understand it. 

English obits only please @alt obits guy

• Like 1

Thomas Keneally interview for those who want to look behind the paywall (or get the free month):

https://www.afr.com/brand/sophisticated-traveller/author-tom-keneally-on-his-love-of-cruising-and-the-sea-20180718-h12tp3

Doesn't yet look terminally ill, but his latest book is very heavy on death - from the snippets I can catch.

1532584715504.jpg

Here he is. The interviews about cruise ships and nowt about his health, mind.

Michael A. Sheehan, an author, military counterterrorism expert and the current Distinguished Chair at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, has died.  He was 63.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/michael-a-sheehan-counterterrorism-expert-who-warned-of-bin-laden-dies-at-63/2018/08/01/5497830c-959b-11e8-810c-5fa705927d54_story.html?utm_term=.f7009274428f

Betty Miles, a writer whose books for children and young adults addressed real-life issues like sexism, racism and censorship after she had emerged from the 1950s to become a feminist, died on July 19 at her home in Shelburne, Vt. She was 90.
SC

How many of these authors actually get QOs for DDP purposes? 

Seems loads die but most of the links are to blogs or US links - what does an author have to have done to get a QO?

2 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

How many of these authors actually get QOs for DDP purposes? 

Seems loads die but most of the links are to blogs or US links - what does an author have to have done to get a QO?

According to Cynthia Heimel nearly all authors get a QO.

6 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Was that in her literary classic 'QO tips for Deathlisters'?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Report of the death of Scottish science fiction/fantasy writer Michael Scott Rohan, aged 67: http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2018/08/rip-michael-scott-rohan.html?m=1

Wiki has taken him down from the list of 2018 deaths.

I met him once and have several of his books signed.. well Mrs Biblio does. I found him a bit heavy going.

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Tell that to Julian May and David Fisher

• Like 1

OK I tell a reasonably fair joke, two people piggy back off of it and get 'likes'.  I had the goddamn creativity.

Life isn't fucking fair - Humph!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

OK I tell a reasonably fair joke, two people piggy back off of it and get 'likes'.  I had the goddamn creativity.

Life isn't fucking fair - Humph!

Happy now?

Suitable obit for Rohan.

• Like 1

John Calder, Scottish/Canadian founder of Calder Publishing, has reportedly died aged 91. Calder Publishing brought the translated works of Chekhov, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky and Goethe to Britain, as well as authors such as Samuel Beckett and Marguerite Duras. Authors at Calder Publishing achieved nineteen Nobel Literature Prizes and three Nobel Peace Prizes. 

Edit: The Telegraph, The Times, The Guardian obituaries.

Eduard Uspensky, Russian children's author, has died aged 80.

Death Notice for Hugh Marriott, author of The Selfish Pig's Guide To Caring, written about looking after his late wife Cathie who suffered from Huntingdon's disease: http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/226771/marriott

Here's a short interview with him in The Guardian from 2003: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2003/nov/26/guardiansocietysupplement

8 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

David Yallop, British author of unsolved crime books and scriptwriter for such things as Crown Court and Minder, reportedly dead at 81. https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/106750470/david-yallop-author-who-fought-for-arthur-allan-thomas-release-has-died

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0945173/

Co-wrote the bits of Graham Chapman's autobiography that Chapman was too drunk to write.

Also, this brilliant news story:

DAVID YALLOP, the scriptwriter who lost his job on the television drama series EastEnders after he proposed killing off several members of the cast in an IRA bombing, yesterday won pounds 68,195 High Court damages plus interest in his breach of contract claim against the BBC.

The BBC also faces a legal costs bill unofficially estimated at pounds 250,000.

Mr Yallop, 55, told Judge Sir Gervase Sheldon during a nine-day hearing that he was robbed of the chance to mastermind the soap opera's storyline. He felt he was treated in the 'most appalling' manner. He smiled and made a one-fingered gesture at the BBC lawyers as the judge ruled the BBC had repudiated its September 1989 contract with him - to write 104 storylines at pounds 750 each - by a letter sent in November 1989.

• Like 1