maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

William H. Hallahan, whose seven decade writing career included the 1974 New York Times bestseller 'The Search for Joseph Tully' and winning the 1977 Edgar Allan Poe Award for Best Novel for 'Catch Me: Kill Me' and which will conclude with the posthumous release of a memoir of his mother, completed last week, has died.  He was 92.

http://www2.philly.com/philly/obituaries/william-h-hallahan-92-advertising-executive-and-acclaimed-mystery-writer-20180831.html

The Booker shortlist is out and includes the youngest ever nominee.

They just want to make my list longer and longer don't they?

13 hours ago, msc said:

Playwright Joe Masteroff (Tony Award winner for Cabaret) has died aged 98.

Obit calls him a 'librettist'.  I have no idea what a 'librettist' is so off I go to learn something (ugh).

Edit: re Webster's Online: A person who writes a libretto.   Well that was absolutely no fahkin help.
Edit2: OK so he wrote the words they sang.  Got it.  In the world since 1700 we call that a LYRICIST you fuckers! 

36 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Obit calls him a 'librettist'.  I have no idea what a 'librettist' is so off I go to learn something (ugh).

Edit: re Webster's Online: A person who writes a libretto.   Well that was absolutely no fahkin help.
Edit2: OK so he wrote the words they sang.  Got it.  In the world since 1700 we call that a LYRICIST you fuckers! 

It's a fancy dan word for "chap (or chapess, of course) who writes all the bits that aren't the songs in a musical", or a fucking playwright as it's also known. You know, all the Nazi bits that don't involve Liza Minelli singing about being a lesbian for drugs or what not...

5 minutes ago, msc said:

It's a fancy dan word for "chap (or chapess, of course) who writes all the bits that aren't the songs in a musical", or a fucking playwright as it's also known. You know, all the Nazi bits that don't involve Liza Minelli singing about being a lesbian for drugs or what not...

There we go, you should have written the obit msc.  We get one extreme or the other it seems; either the obittest (hey why not) decides they are Hemingway all the sudden, such as the immediate obit for Masteroff, or they threw the thing together while eating a Whopper and fries, such as the Wes Hopkins obit I just posted in Football, where it actually said "The Philadelphia Eagles community is grieving another loss Friday as former All-Pro safety West Hopkins has passed away," leaving SirC to edit it to his proper name whilst posting.
SC

On 18/09/2018 at 09:09, alt obits guy said:

Alan Abel, a writer and noted hoaxer, has (for real) died.  He was 94. 

https://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Hoaxer-Alan-Abel-dies-this-time-for-real-13237965.php

Huh, just found out that I had another hit.

Walter Laqueur, an American historian, journalist and political commentator whose books dissected events that shaped the 20th century as well as his own life, has died.  He was 97.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/walter-laqueur-eminent-scholar-who-probed-the-20th-century-dies-at-97/2018/09/30/a6d2acd0-c518-11e8-9b1c-a90f1daae309_story.html?utm_term=.373963fb76f5

Author Evelyn Anthony (The Tamarind Seed) died September 25th, aged 92.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, time said:

Author Evelyn Anthony (The Tamarind Seed) died September 25th, aged 92.

"The night before D-day, 1944, a group of Canadian soldiers were billeted at the family house and a raucous party ensued. At 10.30pm she was ordered to bed. When she awoke the next day, the soldiers had left for Dieppe."

Dieppe?  On D-Day?  Really?

13 hours ago, Toast said:

"The night before D-day, 1944, a group of Canadian soldiers were billeted at the family house and a raucous party ensued. At 10.30pm she was ordered to bed. When she awoke the next day, the soldiers had left for Dieppe."

Dieppe?  On D-Day?  Really?

Dieppe-Day?

This error has been highlighted in the BTL comments, so we may see a correction at some point (though probably not).

(I admit to not reading the 4 obit before I linked to it.)

15 minutes ago, time said:

This error has been highlighted in the BTL comments, so we may see a correction at some point (though probably not).

So it has.  It wasn't me!

Surviving Booker Prize Winners

Salman Rushdie (1947)
Thomas Keneally (1935)
J M Coetzee (1940)
Keri Hume (1947)
Penelope Lively (1933)
Peter Carey (1943)
Kazuo Ishiguro (1954)
A S Byatt (1936)
Ben Okri (1959)
Michael Ondaatje (1943)
Roddy Doyle (1958)
James Kelman (1946)
Pat Barker (1943)
Graham Swift (1949)
Arundhati Roy (1961)
Ian McEwan (1948)
Margaret Atwood (1939)
Yann Martel (1963)
DBC Pierre (1961)
Alan Hollinghurst (1954)
John Banville (1945)
Kiran Desai (1971)
Anne Enright (1962)
Aravind Adiga (1974)
Hilary Mantel (1952)
Howard Jacobson (1942)
Julian Barnes (1946)
Eleanor Catton (1985)

Richard Flanagan (1961)

Marlon James (1970)

Paul Beatty (1962)

George Saunders (1958)

Anna Burns (1962)

Updated for the 2018 winner.

Edited by Bibliogryphon
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

V S Naipaul (1932)
Salman Rushdie (1947)
Thomas Keneally (1935)
J M Coetzee (1940)
Keri Hume (1947)
Penelope Lively (1933)
Peter Carey (1943)
Kazuo Ishiguro (1954)
A S Byatt (1936)
Ben Okri (1959)
Michael Ondaatje (1943)
Roddy Doyle (1958)
James Kelman (1946)
Pat Barker (1943)
Graham Swift (1949)
Arundhati Roy (1961)
Ian McEwan (1948)
Margaret Atwood (1939)
Yann Martel (1963)
DBC Pierre (1961)
Alan Hollinghurst (1954)
John Banville (1945)
Kiran Desai (1971)
Anne Enright (1962)
Aravind Adiga (1974)
Hilary Mantel (1952)
Howard Jacobson (1942)
Julian Barnes (1946)
Eleanor Catton (1985)

Richard Flanagan (1961)

Marlon James (1970)

Paul Beatty (1962)

George Saunders (1958)

Anna Burns (1962)

Updated for the 2018 winner.

I presume this is a list of survivors.

Whilst I realise this is a snapshot in time and they may all live to a ripe old age I'm struck by how young the list is - oldest surviving winner only 86 which is nothing based on life expectancy rates today.

Who would have thought sitting on your arse all day typing (and possibly smoking?? - I imagine all authors smoking) wasn't good for your health.

• Like 1

In which case VS Naipaul is actually dead.

7 minutes ago, msc said:

In which case VS Naipaul is actually dead.

Damn I checked up on Thomas Keneally but had forgot about VSN. I will edit the original post.

Amthea Bell , translated many a thing count as an author?

Dead  at 82 any roads.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/oct/18/anthea-bell-magnificent-translator-of-asterix-and-kafka-dies-aged-82

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, charon said:

Amthea Bell , translated many a thing count as an author?

Dead  at 82 any roads.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/oct/18/anthea-bell-magnificent-translator-of-asterix-and-kafka-dies-aged-82

You buried the lede, she was one of the two people (along with the also deceased Derek Hockridge) who translated all of the original Asterix run into English, managing to make all the puns work in a second language

Brief googling reveals her son is Times journalist Oliver Kamm, and he mentioned his mother was on the way out in a column in December 2017. Bit of a fail for all of you research buffs out there.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1