maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

BBC4 doc about 50 Years of the Booker Prize (on Iplayer) has Penelope Lively looking cheery and, well, lively for her age.

Tom Maschler, on the other hand, looked and sounded like one small gust of wind would finish him off.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

:clivedunn:   but it is a different obit, so I'll let you off.

In the wee hours of the morning here it took a couple of minutes before I clued in on the issue.  Could've sworn I looked up 'Evelyn' before posting.  Do appreciate it though, for the record, I notice some of my obit postings subsequently get listed in other threads as originals.  Ten days later in the same thread...perhaps not quite.  

The Golden Dagger award is presented by the UK Crime Writers' Association for the best crime novel of the year. There are thirty two surviving winners from its 58 year history.

Here are the longest surviving since their win

1961 Mary Kelly (b.1927)

1963 John Le Carre (b. 1931)

1967  Emma Lathen (Martha Henissart co-author (b.1929)

1973 Robert Littell (b.1935)

1974 Anthony Price (b.1928)

1975 Nicholas Meyer (b.1945)

1981 Martin Cruz Smith (b.1942)

1982 Peter Lovesey (b.1936)

1983 John Hutton (b.1928)

1985 Paula Gosling (b.1939)

After this there is a gap of eight years where there is no surviving winners.

All should obit.

• Like 3

Some of the big gaps were the result of multiple wins for Barbara Vine (Ruth Rendell) and Colin Dexter oddly enough P. D. James never won.

Articles on Queensland author Andrew McGahan having weeks to live, but are behind paywall. His wifes name is very unusual so its definetly him.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_McGahan

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 21:45, maryportfuncity said:

Put it this way - where the aged Tolkein's are concerned there are not likely to be problems affording medical care (even if the NHS write them off)

Christopher Tolkein is 94 today.

Gotta be on the clock....perhaps. He did quit as a director last year....

• Like 3

Author and Civil War historian Donald McCaig died Nov. 11, age 78. The cause was chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and heart disease.

SC

22 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Christopher Tolkein is 94 today.

Gotta be on the clock....perhaps. He did quit as a director last year....

It's also the clock to when the family sells the rights off to the vultures who've never read his works and will turn it into over produced nonsense. 

For all that The Hobbit series had its issues, I suspect we've got much worse to come when they start getting non-Jackson level fans of Tolkein to head the adaptations.

• Angry 1

On 01/11/2018 at 12:44, Spade_Cooley said:

I notice today marks the release of Vanessa Lafaye's final book, so keep an eye peeled for any reviews that might sneak her into late QO territory.

And I was right. In one of the longest ever gaps between a death and a QO, the use of the term "the late Vanessa Lafaye" in this story from The i, means points are a coming.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

And I was right. In one of the longest ever gaps between a death and a QO, the use of the term "the late Vanessa Lafaye" in this story from The i, means points are a coming.

Oooh. Maybe the announcement of the Doctor Who season 18 Blueray set might include a reference to The Leisure Hive written by the late David Fisher.

• Like 1

On 20/11/2018 at 10:15, charon said:

Articles on Queensland author Andrew McGahan having weeks to live, but are behind paywall. His wifes name is very unusual so its definetly him.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_McGahan

A free to see article on him.

Its pancreatic cancer/weeks to live job, and "yes" I think a Guardian obit nailed on.

https://dailyreview.com.au/praise-andrew-mcgahan/79479/

15 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

The i is a qualifying source?

Sorry to ask, but the DDP site is down. I just didn't register it as a QO source....?

8 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Oooh. Maybe the announcement of the Doctor Who season 18 Blueray set might include a reference to The Leisure Hive written by the late David Fisher.

Doubt it.

Got a very recent mention in the Independent, just nothing about him being dead.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/top-10-pseudonyms-for-more-than-one-person-a8635951.html

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

The i is a qualifying source?

Sorry to ask, but the DDP site is down. I just didn't register it as a QO source....?

The i is because it's still a print publication. The Independent isn't a print publication so it doesn't count. I know it's arbitrary, but it's at least consistent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

The i is because it's still a print publication. The Independent isn't a print publication so it doesn't count. I know it's arbitrary, but it's at least consistent. 

Ah right, because when I looked at this list (Nov 13th), the i wasn't listed. Doesn't bother me much of course, I was one of the first to mention Vanessa on the Forum!

There has been a refining of the rules as to what qualifies as a legitimate obit:

To win points, there must be the mention of a celebrity's death on a national online news source:

• BBC*:

• bbc.co.uk/news
  • bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts
  • bbc.co.uk/news/business
  • bbc.co.uk/news/education
  • bbc.co.uk/news/uk (that's UK in general, not it's component parts - Scotland, Wales, NI etc)
  • bbc.co.uk/news/world
  • bbc.co.uk/sport
  • bbc.co.uk/newsbeat
  • bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics
  • bbc.co.uk/news/magazine

*This excludes local news pages on the website.

Or from the UK versions of the following:

• telegraph.co.uk
  • thetimes.co.uk
  • ft.com
  • theguardian.com
  • dailymail.co.uk
  • express.co.uk
  • dailystar.co.uk
  • thesun.co.uk
  • mirror.co.uk
  • morningstaronline.co.uk
  • metro.co.uk

(this exludes references on the death announcements sections of broadsheet websites)

...or from these news sites:

• uk.reuters.com
  • news.sky.com/uk
  • skysports.com
  • itv.com/news (this also excludes local news pages)
  • channel4.com/news

@YoungWillz, the I was on Spade's list on forum last year as a QO but the website went back to 2017 QO at some point in early 2018. I asked Spade since in the DDP thread if the I was meant to be a QO and he confirmed it, so there is a "paper trail" out there on this.

Right now I'll shut up before anyone takes the joke about this ailing Scot being the next DDP host actually seriously...:lol:

• Haha 1