maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

The James Tait Black Memorial Prize is one of the oldest literary prizes but unlike other prizes it is awarded by an academic institution without a great deal of fanfare but here I have listed the earliest surviving winners

1967  Margaret Drabble b.1939

1968  Maggie Ross (Martha Reeves)  b.1941

1970  Lily Powell b.????

1976  John Banville b.1945

1977  John Le Carre b.1931

1978  Maurice Gee b.1931

1980  J M Coetzee b.1940

1981* Salman Rushdie b.1947

1981* Paul Theroux b.1941

1983  Jonathan Keates b.1946

1985  Robert Edric b.1956

* Joint winners

• Like 1

On 01/03/2020 at 17:57, drol said:

Luis Sepulveda infected with harmless coronavirus.

Sepulveda is said to be gravely ill, which probably implies he is on life support.

Just to show you how harmless this is...

4 minutes ago, drol said:

Sepulveda is said to be gravely ill, which probably implies he is on life support.

To be fair, distinguishing the harmless from the fatal strain is so difficult. 

Award-winning mystery writer Barbara Neely, who created the first black female series sleuth in mainstream American publishing, died last week after a brief illness, according to her publisher, Brash Books. She was 78.

Neely is perhaps best known for her four-book Blanche White series, which had at its center a nomadic amateur detective and domestic worker who uses the invisibility inherent to her job as an advantage in pursuit of the truth.  “I realized the mystery genre was perfect to talk about serious subjects,” she told Ms. Magazine in 2000, “and it could carry the political fiction I wanted to write.”
“Blanche on the Lam” won the Agatha Award, Anthony Award, and the Macavity Award for best first novel, as well as the Go on Girl! Award from Black Women’s Reading Club. 

Neely was named the 2020 Grand Master by the Mystery Writers of America.  (Just in time!)
SC

9 minutes ago, adrian0719 said:

Russian author Eduard Limonov dead - no English obit yet.

A big one. Also his lifestyle suggested he has outlived the odds.

1 hour ago, adrian0719 said:

Russian author Eduard Limonov dead - no English obit yet.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/03/17/russian-writer-political-activist-eduard-limonov-dies-a69660. Take it from Moscow Times.  Does this count? He was mostly famous here for being an ultranationalist political gadfly.

South African author and healer Vusamazulu Credo Mutwa has died at 98.

One of my DDP picks. Only African news outlets reporting his death so far that I see...

12 minutes ago, Estuarian Float said:

South African author and healer Vusamazulu Credo Mutwa has died at 98.

One of my DDP picks. Only African news outlets reporting his death so far that I see...

He was a great character! An overweight shaman with a cult following who firmly believed in Reptilians. One of the great conspirationists of last century, alongside Paul Hellyer. In his old age he carried a striking resemblance to E.T. and lost a lot of weight. Also he was a crossover between Robert Mugabe and Ragionier Filini of Fantozzi movies. RIP to one of the great!

Risultato immagini per credo mutwa

• Like 1

Come on, it is clear they are half brothers!

image.jpeg.c78c5a4f49979b00d3ade92e906459d3.jpeg                                       image.jpeg.6624d06044efaf2c940f3fb87ee096c0.jpeg

• Haha 1

Children's book author and illustrator, Tomie DePaola, has sadly passed away at the age of 85 due to complications from a fall.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/30/824244076/tomie-depaola-beloved-childrens-author-and-illustrator-has-died

I remember reading many of his books as a child including Strega Nona as well as his appearances on the 'Barney & Friends' television show.

A sad day indeed.

• Like 1

Virginia Savage McAlester, an author, architectural historian and preservationist, has died after a long battle with myelofibrosis.  She was 76. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts-entertainment/architecture/2020/04/10/virginia-savage-mcalester-best-selling-author-and-queen-of-dallas-preservation-dies-at-76/

On 03/03/2020 at 19:20, drol said:

Luis Sepulveda dead  at 70.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, drol said:

Luis Sepulveda dead  at 70.

the most famous death form covid so far for me, I red his poems when I studied Spanish a few years ago and I loved it… RIP to a great writer…

• Like 2

Gene Deitch, American children's illustrator and animator, dead at 95.

All over Czech media as he was an expat there.

A long-time pick on the 20/20 dead pool.

• Like 1

Author, Journalist and rock critic/broadcaster Mark Beech, who authored the rock music origin books The A-Z of Names in Rock, The Dictionary of Rock, died at 60 years after road accident:

https://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2020/news/regional-journalist-who-became-rock-music-critic-dies-aged-60/

He became the editor of DANTE magazine.

• Like 3

Lonnie Wheeler, who worked or collaborated on more than a dozen sports books, most notably the autobiography of Hank Aaron, has died. He was 68. Wheeler had spent years struggling with muscular dystrophy-like conditions.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/lonnie-wheeler-author-more-dozen-books-died-210347080--spt.html?src=rss

• Like 1