maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

Reports of the death of Desmond Guinness, second son of 2nd Baron Moyne and Diana Mitford, Anglo-Irish author and conservationist:

• Like 3

Popular American author and journalist Gail Sheehy, whose most notable works include biographies of Margret Thatcher, Anwar Sadat and Mikhail Gorbatchev, died at 83 years:

https://www.kaaltv.com/national-news/writer-gail-sheehy-author-of-passages-dies-at-83/5839292/?cat=10159

She is also known for her bestselling work, Passages.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Popular American author and journalist Gail Sheehy, whose most notable works include biographies of Margret Thatcher, Anwar Sadat and Mikhail Gorbatchev, died at 83 years:

https://www.kaaltv.com/national-news/writer-gail-sheehy-author-of-passages-dies-at-83/5839292/?cat=10159

She is also known for her bestselling work, Passages.

Loved her book about Gorbachev. 

Dying of pneumonia in August is bad luck.

• Like 1

British Children's writer and illustrator Shirley Hughes is releasing a new book in October called Dogger's Christmas.

• Haha 2

Winston Groom, american writer of the famous novel-turned-film, Forrest Gump, died at 76 years.

He is also known for such nonfiction historical works as Kearny's March: The Epic Creation of the American West, 1846-1847.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Winston Groom, american writer of the famous novel-turned-film, Forrest Gump, died at 76 years.

He is also known for such nonfiction historical works as Kearny's March: The Epic Creation of the American West, 1846-1847.

Link.

• Thanks 1

On 12/09/2020 at 10:46, Bibliogryphon said:

British Children's writer and illustrator Shirley Hughes is releasing a new book in October called Dogger's Christmas.

The original Dogger was a masterpiece; truly an epic tale of love, loss and redemption.   I'm not sure any sequel could possibly match it, but glad to see the great Shirley Hughes is still producing work at 93.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

I have always seen Forrest Gump as a sort of  hero and have tried my best to follow his example in life so the death of his creator is very sad news. R.I.P The chocolates are finally finished. :(

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://heavy.com/news/2020/09/terry-goodkind-dead/

Fantasy author  Terry Goodkind has died aged 72.

Known for the sword of truth fantasy series of novels. 

I read Wizard's First Rule and my wife read some of the later ones. His books contained an awful lot of violence against women and some serious S&M issues and in his later books he started thanking the CIA for keeping America safe. 

• Shocked 1

A rare interview from July with my former pick, the writer/editor Dame Carmen Callil, where she actually mentions her health issues.

Mimsy is certainly not a word you would use to describe Callil. Nor vulnerable, though the 82-year-old has spent the past four months shielding, hence our remote lunch. “I’ve only got one-and-a-bit lung — I smoked, you see.” She laughs raspily, as only someone who once enjoyed a 20-a-day habit can. Was that her only brush with mortality? “No,” she says, matter-of-factly. “I had my lung out, my nipple chopped off — breast cancer — skin cancer and a slipped disc, from writing a book. But when you get to be old you know perfectly well you’re going to die, so it’s amazing I’m not dead, which is good!"

Northern Irish author Sam McBratney has died aged 77. Famous for his children's book Guess How Much I Love You, from where the expression 'I love you to the moon and back' gained prominence.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Israeli writer Yhoshua Kenaz died this morning from Covid aged 83

• Like 1

For the obscure hints series... 

Chinese writer Ma Shitu hospitalised . 105 and has retired from writing in July mainly due to failing health. 

• Like 1

Whilst listing some of my old vinyl album's on ebay I discovered that Peter Currell (Brown) author of the 1965 surrealist novel Smallcreep's Day which inspired a concept solo album by Genesis bass player Mike Rutherford (pre the Mechanics) is still alive aged 84.

Wikipedia does not give a date of birth for him and apart from CND type activism he has little of note on his page but The Guardian might chip in with an obit for him when he finally goes

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Whilst listing some of my old vinyl album's on ebay I discovered that Peter Currell (Brown) author of the 1965 surrealist novel Smallcreep's Day which inspired a concept solo album by Genesis bass player Mike Rutherford (pre the Mechanics) is still alive aged 84.

Wikipedia does not give a date of birth for him and apart from CND type activism he has little of note on his page but The Guardian might chip in with an obit for him when he finally goes

According to the GRO, born in or around April. Currell seems to be his mum's maiden name. He was born Peter C Brown so it must actually be his middle name, even though it's sometimes styled as a surname, "Currell-Brown".

His son blogs that he had hip replacement surgery in 2015.

• Thanks 1