maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

23 hours ago, drol said:

For the obscure hints series... 

Chinese writer Ma Shitu hospitalised . 105 and has retired from writing in July mainly due to failing health. 

Gosh, didn't realize this guy is legendary: lung cancer survivor, was diagnosed with kidney cancer in 2001 (aged 86) and also a recurrence of lung cancer with multiple pleural effusions. Recovered, was again diagnosed with lung cancer in 2018, spent six months in hospital and recovered again. Now apparently down with it again.

3 minutes ago, drol said:

Gosh, didn't realize this guy is legendary: lung cancer survivor, was diagnosed with kidney cancer in 2001 (aged 86) and also a recurrence of lung cancer with multiple pleural effusions. Recovered, was again diagnosed with lung cancer in 2018, spent six months in hospital and recovered again. Now apparently down with it again.

That’s a lot of Shit he went through them, isn’t it?

4 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Ah, only time before it came...

2 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Also, talking about Shitu he's been through, his first wife was killed by the Kuomintang

On 19/10/2018 at 19:02, msc said:

BBC4 doc about 50 Years of the Booker Prize (on Iplayer) has Penelope Lively looking cheery and, well, lively for her age.

Tom Maschler, on the other hand, looked and sounded like one small gust of wind would finish him off.

Tom Maschler has been blown away by the wind:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/oct/16/tom-maschler-obituary

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Jill Paton Walsh has died aged 83.

BBC obit

• Like 2

Daily Mail reporting that my DDP theme team pick Fay Weldon is divorcing her third husband at the age of 89. The article references not being able to speak well and a prolonged spell in hospital. I suspect the divorce might be to avoid him getting his hands on her dosh when the fateful day comes.

Though he might be a better pick as her second husband died of a heart attack one month after their divorce

• Like 2

Tracey Davis, daughter of Sammy Davis Jr, & May Britt and author of his biography, has died aged 59, after a short illness. It was announced last month that her book, Sammy Davis Jr.: A Personal Journey with My Father, is to be made into a film.

On 08/08/2017 at 22:57, DevonDeathTrip said:

Jan Morris, possibly the world's most notable nonagenarian, transgendered, Welsh travel writer, was on Radio 4 tonight gasping about New York and generally sounding in need of an oxygen tank

Dead age 94. 

Obituaries: BBCThe GuardianThe Times

• Like 4

Could just as easily have featured in the Journalists or Activists thread. A remarkable and courageous person. I can only imagine the abuse, ridicule and outright hostility directed at someone undergoing gender reassignment in the early 1970s.

• Like 1

There has been a bit of a Twitter storm about Alan Dean Foster being denied royalty payments by Disney for his Star Wars novels and adaptations. One report described him as suffering from cancer.

13 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

There has been a bit of a Twitter storm about Alan Dean Foster being denied royalty payments by Disney for his Star Wars novels and adaptations. One report described him as suffering from cancer.

So you're saying I should delete the bit in my shortlist that reads "sneaky unique pick??" then?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, msc said:

So you're saying I should delete the bit in my shortlist that reads "sneaky unique pick??" then?

Nobody pays attention to writers. Most of my Bookworm food theme team are uniques

But apologies. Thought it odd no-one had mentioned it.

9 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

- edit... sorry, it was already posted by Biblio... -

Fay Weldon could be a good DeathList addition...

Edit: But here's a link: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8898995/Novelist-Fay-Weldon-lays-bare-secret-misery-marriage-files-divorce-89.html

In that story, after Weldon overdosed, her husband found her and instead of getting help, waited for her carers to show up later that day. Blimey.

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 15:50, Bibliogryphon said:

Updating the top 10 Pulitzer prize for fiction winners after Toni Morrison 

1965 Shirley Ann Graw (1929)

1969 N Scott Momaday (1934)

1983 Alice Walker (1944)

1984 William Kennedy (1928)

1985 Alison Lurie (1926)

1986 Larry McMurty (1936)

1989 Anne Tyler (1941)

1992 Jane Smiley (1949)

1993 Robert Olen Butler (1945)

1994 Annie Proulx (1935)

So Alison Lurie is dead. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/03/books/alison-lurie-dead.html

Not picked this year afaik.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 14/10/2020 at 20:36, drol said:

For the obscure hints series... 

Chinese writer Ma Shitu hospitalised . 105 and has retired from writing in July mainly due to failing health. 

Discharged and well enough to make a public appearance.

Huge loss, that, great writer.

• Like 2