maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

1 hour ago, alt obits guy said:

Maureen Lee, author of the Pearl Street series of books, among others, has died. She was 88.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/breaking-maureen-lee-dead-sunday-23250220

Awe my mum will be upset .Maureen Lee is one of her favourite authors along with Lyn Andrews  and Margaret Dickinson.  She was quite partial to a Josephine Cox  novel but she sadly died recently also.

On 01/01/2021 at 19:54, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Awe my mum will be upset .Maureen Lee is one of her favourite authors along with Lyn Andrews  and Margaret Dickinson.  She was quite partial to a Josephine Cox  novel but she sadly died recently also.

Sounds like mum needs to like some younger authors to keep her spirits up.

Found out  by chance whilst  browsing for book gifts online  that  british author Sheila Newberry  died aged 88 in  January 2020  but the news  largely went under the radar including on here but was acknowledged in the national press in August with an obituary in The Times.

• Like 1

Author Neil Sheehan who received a Pulitzer Prize and a National Book Award for his 1989 book A Bright Shining Lie, which is about the Vietnam War, died at 84 years:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/neil-sheehan-ny-times-reporter-who-obtained-pentagon-papers-and-chronicled-bright-shining-lie-of-vietnam-dies-at-84/2021/01/07/86794382-f943-11e7-ad8c-ecbb62019393_story.html

• Like 2

On 14/10/2020 at 20:36, drol said:

For the obscure hints series... 

Chinese writer Ma Shitu hospitalised . 105 and has retired from writing in July mainly due to failing health. 

Ma Shitu turns 106 tomorrow and was visited at home by some literary guy. Able to use a computer, didn't stand up, but looks excellent for his age and his mind is razor-sharp. Another one destined to last quite a bit.

https://www.iltalehti.fi/viihdeuutiset/a/af722f26-5cf2-4f0a-86a1-b5e9baf49ab1

Sinikka Nopola known for the children's book series Risto Räppääjä (Ricky Rapper) dead at only 67.

This book series is known by probably everyone in Finland and there have been multiple movies based on these books.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Rapper

Another thing she and her sister were known of was "Heinähattu ja Vilttitossu" another children's book series featuring two young sisters.

Hasn't been mentioned what killed her, but apparently she had been sick for a while now.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2021 at 12:11, drol said:

Ma Shitu turns 106 tomorrow and was visited at home by some literary guy. Able to use a computer, didn't stand up, but looks excellent for his age and his mind is razor-sharp. Another one destined to last quite a bit.

Sohu confirms he has recovered from lung cancer recurrence.

On 15/01/2021 at 22:51, alt obits guy said:

Storm Constantine, a British fantasy author popular for her Wraethtu stories, has died. She was 64.

https://karavansara.live/2021/01/15/storm-constantine-1956-2021/

Just saw someone on FB going into summat of a meltdown over her loss - can't say I was familiar with her work or herself. Anyone here actually read her stuff? 

139724114_10222924328130259_297947234350

4 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Just saw someone on FB going into summat of a meltdown over her loss - can't say I was familiar with her work or herself. Anyone here actually read her stuff? 

139724114_10222924328130259_297947234350

Not personally but those I know who have read her stuff or knew her rate her work, so I mean to try it at some point.

Facebook reporting the death of (the somewhat aptly named) writer Sharon Kay Penman at age 75. She was an historic writer, notably of the Welsh Princes Trilogy.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3722497784483849&id=1016801628386825&__tn__=*s*s-R

(Edit) obit: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2021/02/25/sharon-kay-penman-novelist-explored-history-medieval-britain/

• Like 1

On 27/07/2015 at 19:38, Bibliogryphon said:

The list of 10 books kids should read before leaving primary school is a 4/5 split between dead and living (Roald Dahl is on twice).

I don't think Michell Magorian, Julia Donaldson and Michael Rosen will trouble us in the near future but Shirley Hughes and Eric Carle should be on our radar.

“Take in your cat” said the wise old man.
“Take in my cat? What a curious plan.”
Well, the cat started coughing, infecting the cow
"Oh, wise old man, we have covid now,
How did we catch it, please tell meow?"
"Maybe it jumps across species," he said
And with that he went off and retired to bed.

• Like 1

My newspaper had an interview with A.B. Yehoshua, the last remaining great Israeli writer of his generation after Amos Oz and Aharon Appelfeld died (i'm just quoting the article, i'm not very much into the Israeli literal landscape..), and it said he's tired because his cancer has returned. 

• Like 1

On 27/12/2015 at 16:24, Shroud said:

Unsure if he's quite well-known enough "across the pond," but science fiction writer James Gunn (93) might be a possibility. He's one of the last two or three surviving US authors from the "golden age" of science fiction here (i.e 1938 to 1950 or so). There are one or two others, but they are not well-known outside of the sf field proper. Gunn did have the old TV series The Immortal (1969- 1970) from one of his novels, and has done a number of popular and academic works on the subject since the 1970's.

I think not, James Gunn has died at 97

• Like 2

Wait. I’m having deja vu.

Didn’t he already die and we discussed it at the time, or was I dreaming? 

Has he gone and died again? Confused much. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Maybe? I couldn’t find it in search bar, but it could be that his middle initial prevented the search. Either way, that NYT article is recent. 

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Not as confused as I am - you posted the news in the first place! :lol:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

Not as confused as I am - you posted the news in the first place! :lol:

Yeah, that's an error on my end (those pesky middle initials). But have a recent NYT obit then

18 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Yeah, that's an error on my end (those pesky middle initials). But have a recent NYT obit then

Alrighty but Clive still wants to pay you a visit ;)

56705829-EFDF-4666-B699-DDB21D6D82A2.gif

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Alrighty but Clive’s still wants to pay you a visit ;)

56705829-EFDF-4666-B699-DDB21D6D82A2.gif

source.gif

• Haha 1