maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

"The immensity of our family's grief cannot be overstated."

Now that's the way to do it.  None of your stale worn-out banalities.

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

"The immensity of our family's grief cannot be overstated."

Now that's the way to do it.  None of your stale worn-out banalities.

download.jpg

12 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

download.jpg

finger-shake-judge-judy.gif

• Haha 1

Poor Anne Rice. One of the biggest novelists of the 20th century. Dies unexpectedly and gets little more than an utterance on DL Forums.

Vicente Fernandez is a big fat nobody outside of Mexico and has had 100+ posts about him. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Poor Anne Rice. One of the biggest novelists of the 20th century. Dies unexpectedly and gets little more than an utterance on DL Forums.

Vicente Fernandez is a big fat nobody outside of Mexico and has had 100+ posts about him. :rolleyes:

If you were in Mexico, you'd better start running!

3 minutes ago, drol said:

If you were in Mexico, you'd better start running!

Thankfully not. I went once to Mexico around 10 years ago. It was such a shithole, I can safely say I won't be returning in this life, and hopefully not in the next... unless I'm unlucky enough to be reincarnated as a cochineal or a Mexican wolf man.

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Ah, life is the name of the game! :D

I was holding my tongue but since you mention:

Always struck me that Anne Rice was a far bigger fan of Anne Rice than I. The "no editors" stance was frankly courageous (in the Sir Humphrey style) and her stuff was frankly unreadable after she became famous, because she needed editors badly. There was also that weird period where she turned on horror (which made her) and started writing about Jesus instead, and only wanting to talk about the Jesus books, only to soon after become an atheist. She came across as a bit full of herself and quick to burn bridges. Still, she was massively successful in what was a once niche genre and her success pathed the way for other writers.

anne rice.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Just shows how different we see people from different parts of the world, I've never heard of Anne Rice but I've known Vicente Fernandez since I was a little kid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wannamaker said:

Just shows how different we see people from different parts of the world, I've never heard of Anne Rice but I've known Vicente Fernandez since I was a little kid.

You've never heard of Interview with the Vampire or Queen of the Damned? :blink:

48 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

You've never heard of Interview with the Vampire or Queen of the Damned? :blink:

I searched her to see if knew any books she made, and I honestly never heard of those books. But maybe I'll read them, I'm always open to read new things.

They were made into significant Hollywood films... Interview with the Vampire was huge. Starred Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Antonio Banderas, Kirsten Dunst. It's one of those movies you can rewatch too. Very entertaining. Brilliant soundtrack from Guns N Roses also.

What country are you in out of interest? I appreciate Hollywood films aren't to everyone's liking but I can't imagine there are many corners of the globe where her reach didn't have a big impact.

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

It may be a case of knowing about the films but not knowing their original source/ writer.

Just sayin..

Interview with a Vampire is now 27 years old, i.e. was made a couple of years before some people on here were born. I imagine for me, it would be like not knowing a middle / late 70s movie.

And Generation Z / Zoomers, they don't have the "cultural canon" anymore, I.e. being forced to watch certain movies and series because there's nothing else on TV.

• Like 2

I've never seen the films or read the books, but have been aware of Anne Rice for years merely from seeing her books on the shelves in shops and libraries.

That kind of heightened my awareness of the films.

Vicente Fernandez, otoh, I had never heard of before his name started cropping up on here recently.

• Like 2

On 08/12/2021 at 12:24, Bibliogryphon said:

When trying to compile another list of earliest award winners I was looking at Romantic novelists and came across the wikipedia entry for Katharine Gordon who wrote The Emerald Peacock and Peacock in Flight. Wikipedia gives her date of birth as 1916 but there is no date of death and no searches I have done for her have shown any.

Considering she lived most of her life in India I am not sure where to start looking to see if she is genuinely still alive

Got a little further forward with this...

Born Katharine Elsie Bain Hogg in Aberdeen on 12 June 1915 to Ceylon missionaries. That record is on Scotland's People. She then moved to India aged 11 (so c. 1926) and her subsequent trips between the UK and India under her maiden name are recorded on Ancestry.

Whilst in India she married English RAF officer Donald (presumably his surname was Gordon?). They then moved to Kenya and then Sudan. In July 1981, they were living between Cyprus and Jersey. I can't find anything subsequent to that date and before the publication of her last book in 2001 on Ancestry, nor can I find anything from after that point.

But hey, at least it's a step in the right direction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The difference is that Anne Rice died unexpectedly and probably wasn't picked nearly anywhere because she was, AFAIK, a healthy 80-year old who could've well lived another decade. 

Vicente Fernandez had multiple cancer battles, refused a liver transplant in 2019 and had a fall that completely fucked him up and left him lingering in hospital for 4 months, most of it in ICU. 

I'll try to make a list of the living ones on this list soon, lots of notable folks there getting on in years

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

It may be a case of knowing about the films but not knowing their original source/ writer.

Just sayin..

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

They were made into significant Hollywood films... Interview with the Vampire was huge. Starred Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Antonio Banderas, Kirsten Dunst. It's one of those movies you can rewatch too. Very entertaining. Brilliant soundtrack from Guns N Roses also.

Yeah now i remember a bit more, I do recall seeing some adverts for that movie but I never saw it, so it makes sense that I forgot about it. So now I think that i knew what she created but didn't know her name.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, arghton said:

The difference is that Anne Rice died unexpectedly and probably wasn't picked nearly anywhere because she was, AFAIK, a healthy 80-year old who could've well lived another decade. 

Vicente Fernandez had multiple cancer battles, refused a liver transplant in 2019 and had a fall that completely fucked him up and left him lingering in hospital for 4 months, most of it in ICU. 

I'll try to make a list of the living ones on this list soon, lots of notable folks there getting on in years

Tbf, I didn't know she was the 32nd most read author of all time.

I wonder if anyone will ever knock William Shakespeare off the top spot...ofc the Bible is a more read fiction piece but presumably doesn't feature on that list because it had multiple authors :P

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Tbf, I didn't know she was the 32nd most read author of all time.

I wonder if anyone will ever knock William Shakespeare off the top spot...ofc the Bible is a more read fiction piece but presumably doesn't feature on that list because it had multiple authors :P

Christie's in the ballpark within a century and still sells like hot cakes, so possibly one day?

• Like 1

I can’t say I had ever heard of Anne Rice or any of her novels (or the films they were adapted to) either.

RIP. I remember she was against fanfiction, and tried to stop people on the internet from writing fanfiction based on her novels and take down the ones that were already written. I wonder if people will start writing fanfics now that she passed away.

Funniest thing about Anne Rice was her taking a break from vampire novels to write Exit to Eden, a BDSM romance novel/proto-50 Shades. Then Hollywood got the rights to it and turned it into a buddy cop film with Rosie O'Donnell and Dan Akroyd. 

13834.jpg%3Ft=20210728230921