maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

17 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Tipped as a possible for 2019 by @Spade_Cooley on 1 November 2018, Gillian Freeman, author and screenwriter of The Leather Boys, dead: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thetimes-uk/obituary.aspx?n=gillian-freeman&pid=191688968

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0293400/

Her daughter was early 90s comedy character actress Harriet Thorpe (The Brittas Empire, Absolutely Fabulous)

• Like 2

Things are pretty slow at the moment so here is a list of the 10 earliest living winners of the Pulitzer Prize dor best novel. Starts with a familiar DL face

1952 Herman Wouk (1915)

1965 Shirley Ann Graw (1929)

1969 N Scott Momaday (1934)

1983 Alice Walker (1944)

1984 William Kennedy (1928)

1985 Alison Lurie (1926)

1986 Larry McMurty (1936)

1988 Toni Morrison (1931)

1989 Anne Tyler (1941)

1992 Jane Smiley (1949)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Things are pretty slow at the moment so here is a list of the 10 earliest living winners of the Pulitzer Prize dor best novel. Starts with a familiar DL face

1952 Herman Wouk (1915)

1965 Shirley Ann Graw (1929)

1969 N Scott Momaday (1934)

1983 Alice Walker (1944)

1984 William Kennedy (1928)

1985 Alison Lurie (1926)

1986 Larry McMurty (1936)

1988 Toni Morrison (1931)

1989 Anne Tyler (1941)

1992 Jane Smiley (1949)

The only one other than Wouk who I think has main list potential ast some point in the future is Alice Walker.  Not sure the other even if they reach extreme old age.

7 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

The only one other than Wouk who I think has main list potential ast some point in the future is Alice Walker.  Not sure the other even if they reach extreme old age.

?? Literal Nobel Prize winner Toni Morrison not famous enough for you?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doornail said:

?? Literal Nobel Prize winner Toni Morrison not famous enough for you?

Agreed. And even besides her Nobel Prize win, she's enough of a pioneering author among the black American community to merit a potential inclusion in the main list in the future.

14 minutes ago, CastAway said:

Agreed. And even besides her Nobel Prize win, she's enough of a pioneering author among the black American community to merit a potential inclusion in the main list in the future.

She is definitely list worthy and is equally if not more notable than Wouk.   Also someone in that group who would be DL worthy is Larry McMurtry,even if people haven't seen the movie adapted from his book, I am sure everyone has heard of Brokeback Mountain. Future DL chances all comes down if any of them reach the 90+ range in the or have a public terminal cancer diagnosis

1 minute ago, CaptainChorizo said:

She is definitely list worthy and is equally if not more notable than Wouk.   Also someone in that group who would be DL worthy is Larry McMurtry,even if people haven't seen the movie I am sure everyone has heard of Brokeback Mountain,which was adapted from his novel. DL chances all comes down if any of them reach the 90+ range in the future or have a public terminal cancer diagnosis

Hell, I'd petition for Morrisonn's inclusion next year, purely given her age - there's a couple of names every year that are baffling enough that I wouldn't think she'd be too out of the usual to make it.

• Like 1

Anne Tyler wrote The Accidental Tourist. Has suggested that she may not write more books. She would certainly be a pick in some games if not on the main DL.

4 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

She is definitely list worthy and is equally if not more notable than Wouk.   Also someone in that group who would be DL worthy is Larry McMurtry,even if people haven't seen the movie adapted from his book, I am sure everyone has heard of Brokeback Mountain. Future DL chances all comes down if any of them reach the 90+ range in the or have a public terminal cancer diagnosis

Larry McMurtry wrote Lonesome Dove. Brokeback Mountain was written by Annie Proulx. 

Spoke too soon. McMurtry did help adapt Proulx’s short story into a screenplay. Mea culpa. Though he is much more famous for Lonesome Dove which was turned into a mini-series. 

• Like 1

Death notice in the NYT for Janet Asimov, 92: widow and collaborator of Isaac, and notable writer/academic in her own right.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, msc said:

Death notice in the NYT for Janet Asimov, 92: widow and collaborator of Isaac, and notable writer/academic in her own right.

Damn I have previously played her in my theme teams.

Writer Moris Farhi, VP of PEN, has died aged 84.

Wrote some early, unbroadcast, episodes of Dr. Who and also appeared in a couple of Bond films.

• Like 1

Could have gone in Theatre, Screenwriters, Journalists, etc, so I've gone generic.

Death Notice for what appears to be Stanley Price, writer: http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/231755/price.

I remember Moving with Penelope Keith and Ronald Pickup on ITV adapted from his play, others may know more of his work.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0697157/

• Like 3

Marjorie Sharmat, author of the Nate the Great series dead at 90.

• Like 1

James Barclay at 86.

Responsible for Paras over the Barras and other well known titles.

https://www.kirkintilloch-herald.co.uk/news/kirkintilloch-born-author-of-paras-over-the-barras-has-died-1-4896187

Twitter & Wiki reporting Gene Wolfe (Book of the New Sun) dead. 

Unique DDP hit for me if true.