maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

Damn shame. I love his Karla Trilogy from the 70s. Great stuff. RIP.

Another legend gone. I am particularly sad because I was looking forward to a 2nd series of Little Drummer Girl which I suppose will now never happen...:(

I suppose I should read one of his books as a tribute but I'll probably just watch one of the tv adaptations instead ..

1 hour ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Bugger

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy a great book and the mini series with Alec Guinness was superb too

Just seen this news.

No thread of his own? Astonishing!

While I remember my dad forcing us to sit through what seemed to me at the time as an interminable bore of a mini series, Alec Guiness' portrayal was utterly fascinating to me. Still, I'll freely admit to never having read a Le Carre novel on the back of that.

• Like 2

Just seen this, very sad news. Great and prolific author, even into very old age. I remember assuming he'd died years ago when I was younger and then discovered that not only was he still alive he was still writing! His last novel was only published last year. This year just isn't letting up at all.

On 27/11/2020 at 15:20, msc said:

In that story, after Weldon overdosed, her husband found her and instead of getting help, waited for her carers to show up later that day. Blimey.

I refuse to accept the Daily Fail as a reliable source of news.

Still, a bloody good pick for 2021.

Edited by QuebecCityOliver
Added info.

He died of pneumonia but the family stated it was not Covid, so we'll have to take their word for it.

:wacko:

On 27/02/2012 at 18:58, maryportfuncity said:

Read an interview with Jacqueline Wilson over the weekend in which she pointed out she's been treated for heart failure and kidney problems. She's 66, likely to last a while, but not into mega-old-age in that condition.

Jacqueline Wilson gives a paywalled New Statesman interview where she notes she's been extremely self-isolating this year due to "a series of health issues" including the on-going aforementioned heart failure and a more recent kidney transplant.

Wilson is classified as extremely clinically vulnerable. “You don’t inevitably die if you get Covid if you’ve had a transplant, but it means you have no immune system,” she says. “And I’m old!”

One to watch, clearly.

• Thanks 1

Joanne Harris has been tweeting about her breast cancer diagnosis but it seems it has been caught early and she is getting treatment

Tweet reporting the death of science fiction novelist James E. Gunn (wiki) aged 97.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, namelesshere said:

Well, he's not getting any younger, plus he had open heart surgery last year too. It does sound rather like his body is beginning to fall apart though, which is a bit worrying. Rather good to read that proceeds of the recent Talking Heads stage show went to the NHS, seeing as I went to see one of them (the Kristin Scott Thomas/Rochenda Sandall)  in that short time in September when we could still enjoy a bit of culture.

Did he sell his house in London btw? I remember it was up for sale a while back but not sure of the outcome.

On 22/12/2020 at 17:01, msc said:

Jacqueline Wilson gives a paywalled New Statesman interview where she notes she's been extremely self-isolating this year due to "a series of health issues" including the on-going aforementioned heart failure and a more recent kidney transplant.

One to watch, clearly.

Has list potential.

Every fucking Time this thread pops up I think I may read « Boris Pahor’s dead » but the guy keeps holding on at 107 and survived some great authors who died this year (Mary Higgins Clark, Stanley Crouch, Jan Morris, John le Carré...)

• Like 1

Joel Yanofsky, a two-time winner of the Quebec Writer's Federation Mavis Gallant Non-fiction Prize for the books Mordecai & Me: An Appreciation of a Kind and Bad Animals: A Father’s Accidental Education in Autism, has died. He was 65.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/award-winning-montreal-author-joel-yanofsky-has-died-at-65-1.5244380

• Like 1

Barry Lopez, a lyrical writer who steeped himself in Arctic wildernesses, the habitats of wolves and exotic landscapes around the world for award-winning books that explored the kinship of nature and human culture, died on Friday at his home in Eugene, Ore. He was 75.

SCunto

• Like 1

I have my eye on Caroline Graham... 89 years old and hasn't written a new novel in 16 years. Ten years ago was writing a novel that never materialised. No news on health for a very long time but surely not long left.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Likely DDP hit I'd say, but she died on Dec 31st.

Was she on the last one. The article was on the mirror before midnight on the 1st/2nd.