maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

2 hours ago, Bentrovato said:

Just glimpsed the name and saw Irish Times and thought it was Johnny Logan. Don't do that. 

Aye, 67 years old (so he didn't last that long of a time, then) and appropriately on page 67 of this thread

I'll own up to reading and appreciating his bios of The Byrds, Neil Young and - his greatest work IMHO - the "Severed Alliance" book on Morrissey and Marr of the The Smiths

• Haha 1

Christopher Lee (not that one), author & historian, who wrote This Sceptered Isle, a 46 hour long radio series, for the BBC, has died aged 79, after catching Covid.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, time said:

Christopher Lee (not that one), author & historian, who wrote This Sceptered Isle, a 46 hour long radio series, for the BBC, has died aged 79, after catching Covid.

What do you mean ‘not that one’?  Is there another one?

On 14/01/2021 at 12:11, drol said:

Ma Shitu turns 106 tomorrow and was visited at home by some literary guy. Able to use a computer, didn't stand up, but looks excellent for his age and his mind is razor-sharp. Another one destined to last quite a bit.

Unsinkable Ma Shitu back to writing after announcing his retirement, as he thinks his last work has not been understood properly.

Twitter reporting that long term Poker Tourney pick Norton Juster is dead.

Usual confirmations....

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Twitter reporting that long term Poker Tourney pick Norton Juster is dead.

Usual confirmations....

There is a Yahoo report and Rolling Stone but nothing I would consider QO worthy but I don't doubt the veracity of it.

Barbara Amiel, British-Canadian author and wife of Conrad Black on BBC HardTalk tonight. 81 this year. I know she’s had cosmetic work done but still looks incredible for her age.

9A162F74-9873-4D8E-B399-DB20BC8B432E.jpeg

You think?  Looks to me like she's heading towards the Bride of Wildenstein look.

• Like 2

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:03, arrowsmith said:

Larry McMurtry wrote Lonesome Dove. Brokeback Mountain was written by Annie Proulx. 

Spoke too soon. McMurtry did help adapt Proulx’s short story into a screenplay. Mea culpa. Though he is much more famous for Lonesome Dove which was turned into a mini-series. 

Larry McMurtry dead: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/26/books/larry-mcmurtry-dead.html

Probably Last Picture Show and Terms of Endearment more famous to me.

Edit: DDP Pick.

• Like 2

On 01/03/2019 at 06:57, CaptainChorizo said:

She is definitely list worthy and is equally if not more notable than Wouk.   Also someone in that group who would be DL worthy is Larry McMurtry,even if people haven't seen the movie adapted from his book, I am sure everyone has heard of Brokeback Mountain. Future DL chances all comes down if any of them reach the 90+ range in the or have a public terminal cancer diagnosis

Two years later and Larry McMurtry has died aged 84.

eta: Acknowledging the fact that YoungWillz beat me to the punch.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, time said:

Two years later and Larry McMurtry has died aged 84.

eta: Acknowledging the fact that YoungWillz beat me to the punch.

Sorry, just happened to be about.

I'm not about much, sods law I got to this one first! ;)

Just now, YoungWillz said:

Sorry, just happened to be about.

I'm not about much, sods law I got to this one first! ;)

Apology not necessary, I'm about too much, but rarely at the right time!

• Haha 1

Peter Manso https://www.simonandschuster.co.uk/authors/Peter-Manso/1793613

predominantly a biographer or sports writer but with a wide range of subjects has died, aged 80. Seen the news on FB from some other sports authors and I'm sure a full obit will follow. 

Edit local obit: https://eu.capecodtimes.com/story/news/2021/04/07/cape-author-peter-manso-80-died-wednesday-his-truro-home/7132607002/

• Like 1

Obituary for English playwright, screenwriter and actor Charles Dyerhttps://www.thestage.co.uk/obituaries--archive/obituaries/charles-dyer

Appeared in The Knack (Photo Booth Man) and Richard Lester's How I Won The War and also alongside Hugh Lloyd and Terry Scott in several episodes of the sitcom Hugh And I.

His play about a gay couple owning a barber shop in London's East End, Staircase, was adapted by him into a film of the same name with Richard Burton and Rex Harrison, which might not have been their best work. :lol:

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0245697/

• Like 1

On 21/11/2020 at 21:49, Bibliogryphon said:

There has been a bit of a Twitter storm about Alan Dean Foster being denied royalty payments by Disney for his Star Wars novels and adaptations. One report described him as suffering from cancer.

He's not dead, but Disney have given in and are paying Alan Dean Foster his royalties. 

• Like 2

Susie Steiner unable to give a Skype/Zoom interview to mark her nomination for "Crime Novel of the Year", is instead represented by editor. They don't give a reason why Steiner isn't present, just that she "can't be here".

1 minute ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Susie Steiner unable to give a Skype/Zoom interview to mark her nomination for "Crime Novel of the Year", is instead represented by editor. They don't give a reason why Steiner isn't present, just that she "can't be here".

Yeah, she (?) recently altered her Twitter bio to add her agent's contact address. I assume it means that she can no longer reply to anything herself. It's the end of the road.

Seamus Dean, perhaps most well known for his Guardian Fiction Prize-winning and Booker Prize-shortlisted debut novel Reading in the Dark (1996), died at 81 years:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-57101114

He is also notable for his poetry collections such as Gradual Wars (1972) as well as for such nonfiction works as A Short History of Irish Literature (1986).

• Like 4