maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

10 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Yeah, good luck for the 6 teams who picked him. I have my doubts on her obitality. 

HIM?

FFS - sex-change surgery in the final weeks of life; that's hardcore!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/22/2017 at 16:32, Joey Russ said:

Yeah, good luck for the 6 teams who picked him. I have my doubts on her obitality. 

She had articles about her in the guardian in 2015-2016,I would be shocked  if she didn't get a write up from them.

1 hour ago, CaptainChorizo said:

She had articles about her in the guardian in 2015-2016,I would be shocked  if she didn't get a write up from them.

Had it been 1 or 2 months ago, I probably would've agreed with you. But it's been 10 months since her last QO mention. I think she (probably) died too late for a QO mention. 

Think she's a 30% obit chance; both of her Guardian mentions were circumstantial - the first was because she just had a book published, the second because it was the 10th anniversary of the Amish school shooting. Not unthinkable one of the authors of those pieces does a follow up after her death but I wouldn't count on it.

Elaine Ford, who wrote spare, elegant novels about quiet lives and thwarted aspirations, died on Sunday at her home in Topsham, Me. She was 78.

The cause was a brain tumor, her husband, Arthur Boatin, said.  Among her novels were 'Monkey Bay' and 'The Playhouse'.

SC

John Byrne Cooke, an American author, has died aged 76. He wrote several western fiction novels, as well as book reviews for the New York Times, Los Angeles Times and the Washington Post. He is perhaps best known for being Janis Joplin's road manager and authoring On The Road with Janis Joplin, which was featured by the BBC. Additionally, he played with the bluegrass group Charles River Valley Boys in the 1960s, and was the son of Alistair Cooke.

Elizabeth Gilbert posted a new pick of Rayya Elias.Looks very ill but not at death's door.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 15:47, Sean said:

Elizabeth Gilbert posted a new pick of Rayya Elias.Looks very ill but not at death's door.

I went and counted..... 408 of the 412 comments were along the line of 'please die I have you in my death pool'; the other 4 comments were rude.
SC

• Haha 1

I suspect his death will be the end of my time in the lead in the hare's dead pool. But I still have my doubts on his DDP obitality. If he somehow gets one, that was a really good gamble by Sir Creep. 

On 09/09/2017 at 00:29, Thatcher said:

Jerry Pournelle, US science fiction author, has died aged 84.

He was on my (very) long list. Have read a few of his collaborations with Larry Niven. I think Pournelle added readability some of Niven's stand alone efforts are really hard going.

J P Donleavy is dead at 91. DDP pick.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

J P Donleavy is dead at 91. DDP pick.

"Mr. Donleavy found himself in the news in 2011 when his second wife, Mary Wilson Price, an actress, revealed that the two grown children she had given birth to during their 19-year marriage, which ended in divorce in 1989, were not Mr. Donleavy’s."

Fucking hell, that must have made medical history.  As well as being extremely painful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

My theme team joker and a joker in the Jokers Deadpool.

Ah, I was going to say "someone smart must have picked him after Biblio pointed out he'd not been picked in the previous X years".

Doesn't really count if you picked him yourself, though.

:P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, msc said:

Ah, I was going to say "someone smart must have picked him after Biblio pointed out he'd not been picked in the previous X years".

Doesn't really count if you picked him yourself, though.

:P

Why do you think I compile those lists?

3 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Why do you think I compile those lists?

:lol:

I often wonder if I should unleash my stupidly long list on people, but it's

i) unfinished

ii) has lots of doublers, due to rather laze-fair construction over many years

Case in point, was removing Donleavy from the 1926 section,  the doc jumped a few pages and I realised there was five Ken Livingstones on it. What's the point in Five Ken Livingstones? I mean, what's the point of one Ken Livingstone, but never mind that...

• Like 1

My 1000 name long list is essentially a memo pad not everyone on it is circling the drain but they have been of interest at some point. I am using it to also track unusual (non DDP) picks but I put them out in the public domain and still get a unique joker.

Did anyone see Will Self on QT last night? He didn't look so great, wonder if he's on the smack again 

Just now, Thatcher said:

Dead apparently.

Actually had a feeling he was going to die today. But let's see if he gets that DDP obit. I'm still skeptical about that...

If he gets the obit, Sir Creep deserves all the praise in the world, for sticking with him when others went double jeopardy: thinking he were a fraud and not thinking he'd get the QO...

• Like 3