Spade_Cooley

Deadpool Detective Work

Uncredited actors are a nightmare to track down, especially if they had a common name and disappeared after a few credits 60 years ago. Even the experts in the field tend to draw a blank.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I've tried looking but, even for such a legendary film, you're talking about an actor who was on screen for less than 30 seconds all in all 60 years ago.

I think the only hope is finding someone online saying "oh my grandfather was in that film, he played the guard" and tracking down from there.

Might also be worth checking Find A Grave from time to time.  The dates will rule out a lot of candidates.

• Like 1

I do think it'd be interesting if we set up a running list of survivors of classic films and/or the last survivor of films where everyone, as far as we can tell, is deceased. Though not sure how those James Kelly "almost certainly dead but can never be proven" types could be tackled. I remember there being an old post like that on the forum but that has to be a decade old by now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Death Impends said:

I do think it'd be interesting if we set up a running list of survivors of classic films and/or the last survivor of films where everyone, as far as we can tell, is deceased. Though not sure how those James Kelly "almost certainly dead but can never be proven" types could be tackled. I remember there being an old post like that on the forum but that has to be a decade old by now.

Not quite a decade, but I think you might be referring to this little number:

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Not quite a decade, but I think you might be referring to this little number:

Since that post I imagine nearly all of the 1930s actors are dead. Apart for Olivia . BTW YW that's like a treasure trove of picks for the deathlist cup. :o

• Haha 1

Dingdingding, that's the one. For starters, the only 1930s films from that post I believe have still evaded a clean sweep are GWTW and Oz.

• Like 1

Though I posted On The Waterfront way too early in the film clean sweeps thread since a major cast member is still alive, I would still like to bring up someone who I don’t know whether he’s dead or alive, and that’s Ben Wagner. He played an important character in that film, yet I can’t seem to find any evidence that he’s still alive or that he has died. Could someone help me with that one? 

8 hours ago, msc said:

Uncredited actors are a nightmare to track down, especially if they had a common name and disappeared after a few credits 60 years ago. Even the experts in the field tend to draw a blank.

I have a great-great uncle who was an actor in a few Mack Sennett shorts in the 1920's, one of which survives according to some old time movies page I stumbled on once, and some old man in Texas has lots of films from that era, including supposedly one my relative was in.  I'm dying to see it (well not dying, as I've never bothered in 4 years or so to hunt down this guy even though I drive across Texas to go to work).
Point is, he was an actor in a few films, got a big write-up in the Harrisburg, PA paper one time for being Ben Franklin at some Washington DC event on countries sesquicentennial, but is buried in an unmarked grave in Pennsylvania (took me a couple years to discover where he ended up).  Gotta be lots of 2-bit actors like that.
SirC

• Like 1

OK gang.  Don't ask don't tell policy applies.  Long story short, my home DP posted an obit for a guy same name as me, cute and funny.  One comment led to another, and some research and come to find LHO's widow is only 76 and lives near Dallas.  Come to find out they had two daughters.  Come to find out there is virtually NO Internet footprint other than the same youtube video you will find.  As part of Sir Creep's joking around I said well hell, if they are single maybe I could hook up with one of the girls (ages 51 and 50, I'm 54 FFS) and that would be so cool.  
So could someone verify if the girls are indeed married as found in this lone source below.  The person has well over 1000 pages in their genealogy and usually that means lots of unsourced data and hearsay.  I can't find any of these people on FB, and say what you will, it's 2018, ONE of them kids (Nicholas, ALex, Cleo, Tate) will slip up and sign up and make a profile.  But NO.  
Thanks in advance
SC

Spouses, children and grandchildren

27 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

OK gang.  Don't ask don't tell policy applies.  Long story short, my home DP posted an obit for a guy same name as me, cute and funny.  One comment led to another, and some research and come to find LHO's widow is only 76 and lives near Dallas.  Come to find out they had two daughters.  Come to find out there is virtually NO Internet footprint other than the same youtube video you will find.  As part of Sir Creep's joking around I said well hell, if they are single maybe I could hook up with one of the girls (ages 51 and 50, I'm 54 FFS) and that would be so cool.  
So could someone verify if the girls are indeed married as found in this lone source below.  The person has well over 1000 pages in their genealogy and usually that means lots of unsourced data and hearsay.  I can't find any of these people on FB, and say what you will, it's 2018, ONE of them kids (Nicholas, ALex, Cleo, Tate) will slip up and sign up and make a profile.  But NO.  
Thanks in advance
SC

Spouses, children and grandchildren

I was able to find an 2011 obituary for a Virginia Buttermann, grandmother of Cleo and Tate Buttermann.  In this obit, neither one of them has a bracketed name next to them that would indicate a spouse.  Spouses of some of the other grandchildren are so recognized.  From this, you can be reasonably certain neither was married at the time of death.  It's not an up-to-date answer, but it's a start.

https://obittree.com/obituary/us/kentucky/louisville/highlands-family-owned-funeral-home/virginia-buttermann/1621262/

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

OK gang.  Don't ask don't tell policy applies.  Long story short, my home DP posted an obit for a guy same name as me, cute and funny.  One comment led to another, and some research and come to find LHO's widow is only 76 and lives near Dallas.  Come to find out they had two daughters.  Come to find out there is virtually NO Internet footprint other than the same youtube video you will find. 

Bit in the Mail from 2013 says both daughters have "their own families" now.

But Oswald's widow will play no part in it. Mrs Oswald Porter has refused to speak publicly about the grim anniversary - despite being offered massive sums to take part in television features.

Mr Morgan told the Mirror that every day reporters try to contact her to talk to her about her first husband and, although she is not well off, she is terrified of being thrust back into the limelight - no matter the incentive.

He added that her main concern these days is her family, particularly her two daughters who have avoided the long shadow of their father to lead successful lives and start their own families.

But yeah, some things has no internet footprint. Got told recently Vince and Linda McMahon had had a third child, which died. Bar one guy's family tree, not seen a scooby snack about it online.

So oft-referenced, rarely watched music hall act Wilson, Keppel and Betty (the Egyptian dance ones) were actually performing into the mid 1960s, although the role of "Betty" turned out to be a revolving platform as numerous young hopefuls provided the energy alongside the then-aged Wilson and Keppel. The last Betty was, I believe, a woman called either Jean McKinnon or Jean MacKinnon. She then vanishes until 1980, when she turns up running a gay bar in Birmingham. And after that, dunno.

Surely "The Last Betty" would have got an obit somewhere if she'd gone? 

4 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

So oft-referenced, rarely watched music hall act Wilson, Keppel and Betty (the Egyptian dance ones) were actually performing into the mid 1960s, although the role of "Betty" turned out to be a revolving platform as numerous young hopefuls provided the energy alongside the then-aged Wilson and Keppel. The last Betty was, I believe, a woman called either Jean McKinnon or Jean MacKinnon. She then vanishes until 1980, when she turns up running a gay bar in Birmingham. And after that, dunno.

Surely "The Last Betty" would have got an obit somewhere if she'd gone? 

So thanks for that -- that's what SirC gets for trying to help out.  Now my work computer has a history of me going to the website gaybirminghamremembered dot com.  Bastard!

Found this mention on FB (note the date) -- also, Aubrey Phillips would have been 'in the know':

Heard a few days ago that Jean McKinnon ?( she was for a long number of years the host at the Windmill Pub next door to Birmingham Hippodrome ) and the last Betty of Wilson Keppel & Betty ) is not too well. Her after hours parties were legendry .GET WELL SOON JEANNIE X

• Like 1

Think this may well be nigh impossible but I noticed there was a death notice for a Barbara Barron (nee Maddock) who has died aged 98. The notice refers to one of our favourites Denville Hall, so it may be that she is this Barbara Madock (aka Maddock). http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/225085/barron

Who knows? Bit part actors, gotta catch 'em all...

So with nothing since this post, I rolled with Hilda Hanson's name in the ABC DP.  
However....it's been 18 months since this posted.  103 years old, Alzheimer's.... could she still be alive?
As charon profoundly said, "obit assured".   OK I'm buying that.  Have a look around my peeps, you won't find an obit.
The other thing you won't find is anything saying she turned 104, which I find distressing.  Could she have actually died and gotten nowt for an obit?

SC

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

So with nothing since this post, I rolled with Hilda Hanson's name in the ABC DP.  
However....it's been 18 months since this posted.  103 years old, Alzheimer's.... could she still be alive?
As charon profoundly said, "obit assured".   OK I'm buying that.  Have a look around my peeps, you won't find an obit.
The other thing you won't find is anything saying she turned 104, which I find distressing.  Could she have actually died and gotten nowt for an obit?

SC

My best guess is 'no'.  Even if she didn't get an obituary write-up, her own family would've assuredly put one in the local newspaper as a paid obit.  The best online resource I know for those is legacy.com.  Didn't find an entry for her.

Hilda Hanson died a couple days ago, all six generations of her, and here’s an obit.  Detective work complete.

SC

• Thanks 1

Yaaay I got one right for a change.

6 generations alive at one time sounds like a Christmas dinner full of nightmares....

Here's a really long shot one: the driver of the taxi Eddie Cochran was in when he died. Name was George Martin (little irony for you there), or George William Thomas Martin if you want the full-lengther. Lived in Bristol (Blackthorn Road at the time) and was apparently also 21, the same age as Cochran. He was definitely alive in 1969 when his taxi license was renewed, but other than that.... 

Googling does bring up people who are convinced Eddie Cochran faked his own death.

One of my minor obsessions when I was younger were Greta and Freda Chaplin . I know Greta died some time ago, does anyone know if Freda is still with us? 

11 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

One of my minor obsessions when I was younger were Greta and Freda Chaplin . I know Greta died some time ago, does anyone know if Freda is still with us? 

According to a comment from 2 years ago on this Facebook post, Freda is still living in Tang Hall in North Yorkshire.

Suppose she’d only be 76 now and as they were a curiosity, it would be surprising if it wasn’t as least covered by the regional press.

• Thanks 1

This one intrigues me.

Roy Miller, who is supposedly 95 in December is supposed to be the 3rd oldest Test cricketer, albeit he only played a single match then dropped off the radar. On top of that, he is the oldest Test cricketer from the West Indies, just two months older than Sir Everton Weekes. 

One problem though. I can find no concrete evidence to suggest he is still alive, other than the oldest cricketers table (which has been wrong and outdated in the past), and this blog from 2018, which looks like it just copied the info from the Wikipedia or ESPN tables.

In late 2014, somebody edited Miller's Wikipedia page to say that he died on 21st August 2014 in Miami, Florida. Of course, it was reverted for being unsourced.

So, not heard from in years, no coverage or interviews anywhere. I can believe it's true. Is he dead?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

This one intrigues me.

Roy Miller, who is supposedly 95 in December is supposed to be the 3rd oldest Test cricketer, albeit he only played a single match then dropped off the radar. On top of that, he is the oldest Test cricketer from the West Indies, just two months older than Sir Everton Weekes. 

One problem though. I can find no concrete evidence to suggest he is still alive, other than the oldest cricketers table (which has been wrong and outdated in the past), and this blog from 2018, which looks like it just copied the info from the Wikipedia or ESPN tables.

In late 2014, somebody edited Miller's Wikipedia page to say that he died on 21st August 2014 in Miami, Florida. Of course, it was reverted for being unsourced.

So, not heard from in years, no coverage or interviews anywhere. I can believe it's true. Is he dead?

This is why someone edited his page in the first place:

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/miami-fl/roy-miller-6099845

As you can see the date of birth almost -- but doesn't quite -- match the test cricketer.  Wrong person. 

• Like 1