Jump to content
Spade_Cooley

Deadpool Detective Work

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, time said:

 

 

One of my original DDP Rons (2011-2014). He got dropped  for a more famous, QO-able Ron and because I couldn't really find any recent evidence that he was still alive.

 


I reckon when he does die someone will notice. Might be worth restoring him as a wildcard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:


I reckon when he does die someone will notice. Might be worth restoring him as a wildcard.

I had doubts his QO-ability for DDP purposes, but as I'm always on the look-out for suitable Rons, he's worth bearing in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/11/2020 at 17:46, Ulitzer95 said:


I can understand why there may be some doubt as to whether she is living or not. As soon as you Google her, the first dozen or so results are from 2016 (when she launched an exhibition, pictured in her wheelchair) or the preceding years.

But if you limit the search time frame to 2017–2020, there are still quite a few things which spring up, all of them talk about her in the present tense.

This blog from March 2020 notes:

"At the age of 110 she is not on any prescribed medication, only traditional Aboriginal medicine."

I would be surprised if she died off radar given her profile and popular following amongst enthusiasts of that particular form of art.

Clearly not 110 though. My hunch says she's "only" about 90... and a very ugly one at that.

dc-cover-fki84qjv6cmqbq3s9tf5j.jpg.f59126fcaa0c302c2cbdc5ba1f655818.jpg

When I saw that image I thought "Crikey Gulpilil`s gone down hill".

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/08/2019 at 22:12, Ulitzer95 said:

 

According to a comment from 2 years ago on this Facebook post, Freda is still living in Tang Hall in North Yorkshire.

 

Suppose she’d only be 76 now and as they were a curiosity, it would be surprising if it wasn’t as least covered by the regional press.

 

Died earlier this year.

 

Obituary: Freda Chaplin, York's famous twin dies aged 77 | York Press

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Handrejka said:


Thanks for this! Confirms our suspicions that she wouldn't have died without someone eventually notifying the press.

Article is from October, notes that she died on May 5th.

Interesting to note that both twins died of cancer. Both of them refused any treatment. Now I can understand why the second did it – the article makes it clear that she wanted to be reunited with her sister. Curious as to why the first did so back in 2007 though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A question, there was a low-tier football player named Andy Culliford, who then turned into an MND awareness raiser and so on, as he was diagnosed with it himself, this is him:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-dorset-26444118

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/football/nonleague/15429656.non-league-wimborne-and-gosport-to-get-together-for-courageous-footballer-andy-culliford/

 

He had been alive as late as 2019... as he attended a tournament in his name:

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/18034465.culliford-return-wimborne-gosport-clash/

 

Now, this church newsletter is saying that an Andrew Culliford died in May. Do you think it's the same person?

https://www.cpcb.org.uk/4151-2/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

A question, there was a low-tier football player named Andy Culliford, who then turned into an MND awareness raiser and so on, as he was diagnosed with it himself, this is him:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-dorset-26444118

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/football/nonleague/15429656.non-league-wimborne-and-gosport-to-get-together-for-courageous-footballer-andy-culliford/

 

He had been alive as late as 2019... as he attended a tournament in his name:

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/18034465.culliford-return-wimborne-gosport-clash/

 

Now, this church newsletter is saying that an Andrew Culliford died in May. Do you think it's the same person?

https://www.cpcb.org.uk/4151-2/

 


Not him.

 

He’s on Facebook. Friends left birthday messages in late May and he’s been active on there as recently as October.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:


Not him.

 

He’s on Facebook. Friends left birthday messages in late May and he’s been active on there as recently as October.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/11/2020 at 08:26, arghton said:

Kalima Amankulova.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalima_Amankulova

Would be 105 this year and with a fast google search I can see multiple sources saying (inluding the English wikipedia page that lists a date of birth but not a date of death) she's alive but with no proof. Even though she was the Chairman of the Supreme Soviet of the Kirghiz Soviet Republic (in 1938)  there seems to be only one photo of her everywhere. The Russian wikipedia however claims that she died in 2002 but I don't seem to find a source to that. Much more likely that she's already dead though


She was doing all right if she survived till 1939, never mind the 21st century.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

200x267_3122.jpg.506fee2bfafc6e5c70830a84981c35ee.jpg3120.jpg.d55b5c4c2c6101489916be58a96f8ea9.jpg

Interested in this lady, because I strongly suspect she's still with us.

Joan Curry (wiki), English squash and tennis player during the 1940s and 50s. Birth name Patricia Joan Curry, married George E. Hughesman.

Interviewed in 2004. Appeared in the 2010 electoral register living in Kingston, London as Patricia J. Hughesman.

Doesn't appear in the GRO up to December 2019 and can't find any mention of a death anywhere.

Born December 1918 so turns 102 this month I suppose!

Anybody come across her before / have any alternate info?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about Italian psychiatrist Giorgio Coda (wiki), nicknamed "The Electrician" for his propension to electroshock? Wiki has him stilla live but I couldn't find anything recent. Surely would avoid the public eye, but he looked very old even in the 70s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, drol said:

What about Italian psychiatrist Giorgio Coda (wiki), nicknamed "The Electrician" for his propension to electroshock? Wiki has him stilla live but I couldn't find anything recent. Surely would avoid the public eye, but he looked very old even in the 70s.


Still living in 2019?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Doubting lazy journalism took it directly from Wikipedia. Anyway that's what it says. Thanks!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So there's another: Ghana Chief Justice E. N. P. Sowah (full name unknown). Would turn 100 next year if still alive.

 

EDIT: and his predecessor Edmund Alexander Lanquaye Bannerman, born 1915, DoD unknown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, drol said:

So there's another: Ghana Chief Justice E. N. P. Sowah (full name unknown). Would turn 100 next year if still alive.

 

EDIT: and his predecessor Edmund Alexander Lanquaye Bannerman, born 1915, DoD unknown.


Edmund Bannerman is in the Possibly Living category on Wiki. That needs changed because I found his death:

 

Name: Edmund Alexander Languaye Bannerman
Death Date: 27 Jun 1983
Death Place: Accra in Ghana
Probate Date: 6 Feb 1984
Probate Registry: London



27 Jun 1983 in Accra, but Probate was registered in London for whatever reason. Ancestry shows that he traveled a lot between the UK and Ghana.

I'll have a look for Sowah later.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, drol said:

So there's another: Ghana Chief Justice E. N. P. Sowah (full name unknown). Would turn 100 next year if still alive.

 

EDIT: and his predecessor Edmund Alexander Lanquaye Bannerman, born 1915, DoD unknown.


Ernest Nee (or Nii) Pobee Sowah. Also travelled a lot between the UK (Liverpool and London) and Takoradi in Ghana.

Married Elsie Mabel Atta Djabanor (b. 1924) in Westminster, London in 1951. They had a residence in Willesden East, London in 1954.

Can't find any trace of them after that. Must have returned to Ghana. Could be alive I suppose.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/12/2020 at 20:07, Ulitzer95 said:

200x267_3122.jpg.506fee2bfafc6e5c70830a84981c35ee.jpg3120.jpg.d55b5c4c2c6101489916be58a96f8ea9.jpg

Interested in this lady, because I strongly suspect she's still with us.

Joan Curry (wiki), English squash and tennis player during the 1940s and 50s. Birth name Patricia Joan Curry, married George E. Hughesman.

Interviewed in 2004. Appeared in the 2010 electoral register living in Kingston, London as Patricia J. Hughesman.

Doesn't appear in the GRO up to December 2019 and can't find any mention of a death anywhere.

Born December 1918 so turns 102 this month I suppose!

Anybody come across her before / have any alternate info?

 

This Guardian from 1978 says the then junior tennis player Patrick Hughesman was her son. I would assume, being as it's not exactly a common name, the guy who now works for the LTA as a tennis tournament director is the same Patrick Hughesman. There's a picture of him here and that's clearly the same guy on this Facebook page. Where there's a comment 11 weeks ago that suggests he's recently lost someone close to him. Could that have been Joan?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

 

This Guardian from 1978 says the then junior tennis player Patrick Hughesman was her son. I would assume, being as it's not exactly a common name, the guy who now works for the LTA as a tennis tournament director is the same Patrick Hughesman. There's a picture of him here and that's clearly the same guy on this Facebook page. Where there's a comment 11 weeks ago that suggests he's recently lost someone close to him. Could that have been Joan?


Interesting.

Honestly, the GRO Index really needs to be updated to December 2020. I've got so many people to look up but from what I've heard they don't have any current plans to extend it past early December 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a cautionary tale about double checking your research. Mary Marquis, a once familiar face on Scottish TV, was picked by Willz this year but her DOB was unspecific and the claimed "1937" might have felt unrealistic for someone starting in TV in the 1950s.

 

Scotland's People have a record for a Mary Elizabeth Marquis born in 1924, which would make her 31 at Granada. And a slapdash researcher would go, combined with that gut feeling, "yep, that's her". But, wait, this Mary Elizabeth Marquis may share her name, but this one died in 2018. What's more, a search for our Ms Marquis's business work confirms a legally registered birth date as March 1937 and a current address in Bearsden. So she did start on TV - as an announcer - aged 18 soon after leaving school.

 

Her 1937 DOB doesn't show up on Scotland's People but then neither does her wedding certificate, which the Daily Record give a clue to by noting she commuted to Carlisle to romance Jack back in the day ie its possibly not a Scottish record! But BMD records don't bring up a 1962 wedding for her and Jack Anderson either. The Glasgow records do however bring up her 1964 born son.

 

So yes, this didn't produce an exact DOB as I assumed it would, but is presumably worth posting to remind folk not to take "interesting info" at face value.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, msc said:

Here's a cautionary tale about double checking your research. Mary Marquis, a once familiar face on Scottish TV, was picked by Willz this year but her DOB was unspecific and the claimed "1937" might have felt unrealistic for someone starting in TV in the 1950s.

 

Scotland's People have a record for a Mary Elizabeth Marquis born in 1924, which would make her 31 at Granada. And a slapdash researcher would go, combined with that gut feeling, "yep, that's her". But, wait, this Mary Elizabeth Marquis may share her name, but this one died in 2018. What's more, a search for our Ms Marquis's business work confirms a legally registered birth date as March 1937 and a current address in Bearsden. So she did start on TV - as an announcer - aged 18 soon after leaving school.

 

Her 1937 DOB doesn't show up on Scotland's People but then neither does her wedding certificate, which the Daily Record give a clue to by noting she commuted to Carlisle to romance Jack back in the day ie its possibly not a Scottish record! But BMD records don't bring up a 1962 wedding for her and Jack Anderson either. The Glasgow records do however bring up her 1964 born son.

 

So yes, this didn't produce an exact DOB as I assumed it would, but is presumably worth posting to remind folk not to take "interesting info" at face value.


Seems odd on the face of it.

I've just had a look at Scotland's People and can't find her birth certificate either, but I learnt through doing my research on the UK Singles Chart thread that some people have their birth registered under the mother's maiden name for whatever reason (e.g. a divorce or estrangement of the father). That may account for why it doesn't show up under Marquis. There are a lot of people called "Mary Elizabeth" or "Elizabeth Mary" born on the west coast of Scotland in 1937. Likely that certificate is staring me square in the eye. A mother's maiden name for her may help crack it, and it may also unearth her marriage certificate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's hope the old dear is still alive.

 

Scottish royalty as far as I'm concerned! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:


Seems odd on the face of it.

I've just had a look at Scotland's People and can't find her birth certificate either, but I learnt through doing my research on the UK Singles Chart thread that some people have their birth registered under the mother's maiden name for whatever reason (e.g. a divorce or estrangement of the father). That may account for why it doesn't show up under Marquis. There are a lot of people called "Mary Elizabeth" or "Elizabeth Mary" born on the west coast of Scotland in 1937. Likely that certificate is staring me square in the eye. A mother's maiden name for her may help crack it, and it may also unearth her marriage certificate.

 

Yeah that's as far as I got but we're missing that one bit of info that solves the case. Like Columbo before the 2nd to last ad break. :D

 

This is the husband, as he lived at the same address (until 2011? hmm).

 

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Let's hope the old dear is still alive.

 

Scottish royalty as far as I'm concerned! ;)

 

Alive and living in Bearsden.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Jake LaMotta's fixed match opponent Billy Fox actually still alive? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, drol said:

Is Jake LaMotta's fixed match opponent Billy Fox actually still alive? 


Discussed on here before I think. It’s doubtful. Just fell into obscurity.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Deputy Chairman of Bulgaria State Council Krastyu Trichkov (wiki) actually still alive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use